Autopsy Positives & Negatives: Review vs Fremantle round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually enjoyed the new He Man for what it was however it was marketed on a massively false pretense which I think is what has upset a lot of folk.

Market it as Masters Of The Universe Story with Teela as main and you literally avoid all this drama.

Instead, Kevin Smith flat out lied repeatedly in the lead up and has forever destroyed his rep.

More of the same embarrassing tripe unfortunately.

Selected a squad that was again far too tall up forward, which created a complete lack of forward pressure that allowed a poor and injury-depleted opponent to walk out of defence through the corridor and accumulate 50 points in a single quarter.

Also once again the improvement in performance came from injury forcing a change rather than anything strategic.

Kelly went off injured and was replaced by Langdon.

With the change being not like-for-like, a shuffling of the chairs was required - Langdon went forward, Allen moved into defence and Nelson pushed up to occupy a negative role in the midfield on the defensive side of stoppages.

The resultant smaller forward line improved ball retention in attack; the third defensive tall enabled better structure against Fremantle's forwards; and the tag on Kelly (that had successfully removed his impact before the injury) was shifted to Shuey where it was far less effective, lending the Eagles an improvement in outcomes around the stoppages as well.

Which obviously leads to the question, if Kelly does not go off injured does the fightback happen at all? Without any changes this match was positioned to go the same route as that against Collingwood.

It all begs more questions than answers:
  • Why again was the forward line so tall to begin with? For multiple years now, the club has consistently performed better when it smaller in attack.
  • Why on earth was H.Edwards omitted when time and time again this season McGovern and Barrass have been shown to be awful when needing to switch between opponents? As soon as Darcy pushed forward holes started opening, as they couldn't decide whether to zone or man-mark, with the result being neither. Allen going back demonstrated clearly the value of a third defensive tall, with Fremantle having only two marks inside forward 50 after quarter time, after gaining 8 such marks in the first quarter alone.
  • Why was Kelly not moved prior to his injury? Kelly had just 1 effective disposal before his injury - he was completely tagged out from having any impact and it allowed Fremantle to win stoppage clearances 9-4 during the first quarter. Rather than retaining a situation that provided the opponent with first use of the ball, Kelly should have been shifted forward to displace the tag.
  • How is Vardy even on the list, lest selection in the first team? Worst player in the competition. Averaging less than 4 disposals from 60% time on ground. Offers nothing but a handicap to the club's midfield rotations.
  • Why omit onball rotations if there are players in the midfield who will be on reduced minutes? Both West and Hutchings were omitted when it was clear that neither Shuey or Kelly were 100% coming into this match. Of course, without alternatives to go through the middle, the team were again over-ran in the last quarter, dashing any hopes of a come-from-behind victory.

Ironically (or perhaps, poetically), this match was lost because the team could not execute with efficiency in attack. For so long the identity of this team has been how clinically it takes its chances up forward. But just 3 goals from 24 inside 50s during the third quarter is indicative that times have changed.

Indeed, it provided some unwelcome look into the future: the chaotic movement off half back without the target-hitting and decision-making qualities of Hurn; the lack of strong leads to kick to inside attacking 50 whilst Kennedy was off the ground. The holes that shall be left when these two decide that it is time I suspect will be a lot larger than many here anticipate.

Excepting twin miracles of defeating Brisbane in Brisbane and Essendon losing to Collingwood who are already on holiday, season 2021 is over for the club before finals even begin.

The salt into that wound is those finals will now likely be taking place in Perth - without West Coast.

It is the worse possible outcome that could have happened this year. The opportunity for a home Grand Final, only to miss finals entirely, and not even receive a top 10 draft pick (after F/S bidding).

I cannot recall a season from the club that has underwhelmed to such an extent as this. For sure, there have been far worse seasons, but those teams also had nowhere near the amount of talent available in comparison to this 2021 squad.

1993 perhaps - but even then the club still made it into the second week of finals.

In a year where each of the contenders look fallible, all that was required was solidity at home and competitiveness on the road. Instead we have neither - the 7-5 record in WA is the worst since 2014 and the 3-6 record away includes two 90+ point capitulations. The home draw was very soft this year, just 4 of the 12 matches are against opponents currently within the top 8. In better shape, the club could easily have gone 12-0 in Perth before finals this year - all you need then to make top 4 is just 4 wins from 10 away matches.

But these are troubled times. West Coast have now lost 5 of their last 7 matches in Perth - they had won the past 13 of 14 prior to this slump.

The current run of 12 matches in succession of scoring less than 100 points is the worst in the entire history of the club.

Suffice to say some major changes are required.
why indeed Dylan, why.....

Other than coaches i think our biggest trouble is the rucks.In 2018 we had Lycett and Vardy throwing their weight around.Theres nothing midfielders like more than a gorilla smashing people out of the way. NN is a fine tap ruck/clearance but he doesnt have that streak of nastiness needed.
If Lycett had NNs talent God help people.I dont care what anyone says;you need muscle at the top.
Melbourne were a basket case for years even with Gawn there as he played timid.Now hes beginning to realise just how big he is and hes brushing people aside with disdain.Put Jackson behind him the Petracca then Olivar and Brayshaw ; a Brownlow runnerup ; next; its a big strong mobile side.
SIZE DOES COUNT!!!

Other than coaches i think our biggest trouble is the rucks.In 2018 we had Lycett and Vardy throwing their weight around.Theres nothing midfielders like more than a gorilla smashing people out of the way. NN is a fine tap ruck/clearance but he doesnt have that streak of nastiness needed.
If Lycett had NNs talent God help people.I dont care what anyone says;you need muscle at the top.
Melbourne were a basket case for years even with Gawn there as he played timid.Now hes beginning to realise just how big he is and hes brushing people aside with disdain.Put Jackson behind him the Petracca then Olivar and Brayshaw ; a Brownlow runnerup ; next; its a big strong mobile side.
SIZE DOES COUNT!!!
ok so we sack Vardy?

Surely you jest sir?
NN is one of the most intimidating MFers in the League.
When he charges through i agree.He doesnt always charge through as his body is in the air trying to combat the monster ruckmen running around now.He is also sitting on the bench a LOT! When scuffles start he isnt front and centre also.Its not his thing.Lycett starts the brawls.

Maybe the others haven't signed a contract extension!!

last time I checked Employer has more power to dismiss an Employee if they see fit. not the other way around. Every one of those contracts has side notes and conditions for termination if the organization sees fit. Absolute worst-case scenario, early termination, and agreed payoff between both parties is also another option. You make it sound like Simmo is untouchable because he just signed a contract extension. He has certain leverage, but ultimately, the club has way more and could get rid of him if they have to.

last time I checked Employer has more power to dismiss an Employee if they see fit. not the other way around. Every one of those contracts has side notes and conditions for termination if the organization sees fit.

When was the last time you checked?

There’s such a thing as unfair dismissal laws, not to mention damages for breach of contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again going to the “the club could legally get rid of him” well.

They probably could. They definitely won’t willingly wear the cost involved, so it’s moot.

"definitely"?? interesting choice of word. Bad decisions are always made on daily basis in big or small organizations. so many other AFL coaches have been let go still under contract, why is it so different here?? you are right in saying that they probably won't but that is for different reasons that shall be left alone at this moment of time.

last time I checked Employer has more power to dismiss an Employee if they see fit. not the other way around. Every one of those contracts has side notes and conditions for termination if the organization sees fit. Absolute worst-case scenario, early termination, and agreed payoff between both parties is also another option. You make it sound like Simmo is untouchable because he just signed a contract extension. He has certain leverage, but ultimately, the club has way more and could get rid of him if they have to.
I wish life was as simple as you make it.

last time I checked Employer has more power to dismiss an Employee if they see fit.

You should try checking again. Nearly impossible in a lot of cases, unless you make them redundant, which means you then you can't re-hire for that position for 12 months.

Also better hope you covered all bases, otherwise Fair Work will give you a proper rogering...

"definitely"?? interesting choice of word. Bad decisions are always made on daily basis in big or small organizations. so many other AFL coaches have been let go still under contract, why is it so different here?? you are right in saying that they probably won't but that is for different reasons that shall be left alone at this moment of time.
I’m saying definitely because I know definitely. Not this offseason. Whether that is because of financial reasons or on field belief he can turn it around I’m not sure, but Adam Simpson will be the head coach of the West Coast Eagles come Round 1, 2022.

Maybe that will change in future years despite still being under contract, with less time remaining and therefore less money owed, but he’s definitely not getting sacked this offseason.

I’m saying definitely because I know definitely. Not this offseason. Whether that is because of financial reasons or on field belief he can turn it around I’m not sure, but Adam Simpson will be the head coach of the West Coast Eagles come Round 1, 2022.

Maybe that will change in future years despite still being under contract, with less time remaining and therefore less money owed, but he’s definitely not getting sacked this offseason.

Of course, a big footy forum member has inside information. Sure buddy, whatever you'd say. Word of advice, try not to speak in absolute terms in the future.It might backfire. Even if you are hired by Eagles you would still not know what is happening at the top level and if by any chance you do then that is even a bigger problem than Simmo himself.

Of course, a big footy forum member has inside information. Sure buddy, whatever you'd say. Word of advice, try not to speak in absolute terms in the future.It might backfire. Even if you are hired by Eagles you would still not know what is happening at the top level and if by any chance you do then that is even a bigger problem than Simmo himself.
I’m not going to speak in absolutes unless I know, because you’re right it could backfire. No need to hang yourself out there unless you know, very true.

I’m saying in absolute terms the Eagles have offered Robert Harvey and assistant gig and will be keeping Simmo. This was true as of the week leading up to the derby. Maybe the derby loss and a 300 point loss this weekend could change that but I’d be very comfortable to bet that the info that was true last week will be true next week, in which case Simmo stays and hopefully Harvey signs the offer put to him.

I don’t work for the Eagles and have never applied for a job at the Eagles, though I imagine it’d be very fun. But having access to a BigFooty account doesn’t automatically preclude someone from knowing people in the real world, especially not on a forum where there’s an Eagles staffer who posts fairly regularly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives & Negatives: Review vs Fremantle round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back