Autopsy Positives & Negatives v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

+Karpany should be played for the rest of the season.
+Barrass although he didn't play, looks the goods.
+I would let NicNat have the rest of the year off to recover fully, we're not challenging for anything.

-LeCras is done, has struggled all year and will only get worse.
-Butler was done a few years ago, always looks likely to turn the ball over, has no confidence in his own skill that's why he always takes the soft option in going sideways, we always get carved up by his direct opponent.
-Poor team selection most weeks, reward constant failures and drop players that are considered unlucky.
-Recruiting Jetta, was a poor decision, what with his form in 2015 and apart from 2012 has had a pretty ordinary career, our recruiters should of seen this.
-Redden hasn't shown a thing but had a interrupted pre-season, so will give him next year to show a least the minimum of what is required.
-Screaming out for a crumbing forward, yet coaching staff refuse to address.
-Darlings form at times, looks uninterested.
-Hill plays a good game and then unseen for a month, this has happened regularly throughout his career with us.
-Masten rarely hits a target, rarely makes the right decision and never influences a game, should of been traded a couple of years ago when he had currency.
-Wellinghams been good but he's been looking half arsed the last 2 months.
-Too many poor decision making and poor skill errors, a lot of the time under no pressure at all.
-MacKenzie, coming back from a knee reco always takes another year on top of the one you missed to get back into the pace of AFL, but the dropped marks, poor decision making and easily worked away from the ball were making us look like we were one short on the field.
-Bad teams always over handball and we've over handballed all year, the longer a handball chain goes, the more chance the opposition have to turn it over, we've got the talls, bomb the ball long when under pressure, but again, not having crumbing forwards, if it goes to ground, it comes straight out, these little half metre handballs to someone already getting tackled have killed us all year.
-Recruiting is a hit and miss science but I do think Craig Vozzo misses far out weigh his hits.
-Opposition clubs and supporters look at us as soft, bottom teams generally think that can beat us and when we leave the door open or take our foot off their throat and keep them in the game, they getting all jumpy, excited and confident and we go to water, which proves that we are soft.
-Losing last years grand final was shattering for us all, that was our chance, that was our only chance, I knew during the game that we weren't gonna be back for another go this year, the 4 players that concerned me last year that were carried and were poor grand final day, now have a couple of extras to join them. We are going to play finals this year, but unfortunately, we will be bundled out first week in what could end in a humiliating thrashing, it is time to reassess where we are going as a club, do we want to finish next season middle of the road 7-12 or be aggressive in our approach and look to build towards a premiership in 4-5 years time, be ruthless at the trade table, all offers considered!
I think if you check the stats re handballs, that we are one of the sides who uses handballs the least. That's what I've heard anyway. Most weeks we kick more than handball. Correct me if I'm wrong. All of your other comments both plus and minus have merit though.

Unless...

Port are 3 games back from us and kicked 25 goals 23 against Brisbane at the Gabba, we travelled and lost to Collingwood in what had to be the worst performance of the season. We have a derby next week against Freo who aren't in terrible form, then play 1,2,3 on the ladder. Port's remaining games aren't all easy but are considerably easier than ours. If they go on a streak and win 3 or 4 and we lose all 3 or 4 they could steal 8th from us. I wouldn't want to bet against it happening to be honest.

Saints could do the same thing but would be longer odds. Technically Collingwood *may be able to do it if they win 4 and we lose 4 and percentages change a heap.
On the bright side for you, Collingnwood won't do it. Hawthorn and the Dogs in our run home means we definitely wot get the percentage kick we need. The loss to the Roos last week after bookending the game with our worst football of the year might ultimately have cost us an (undeserved) shot at slipping in.

I've backed Masten despite the criticisms from others but his effort yesterday was disgraceful. There was one instance when the game was up for grabs that he made a half hearted effort to smother...it was just so pathetic that he should be dropped on that alone....result..Goal to Collingwood
That's two woeful games Masten has had in succession amongst others. Either he's playing injured or desperately out of form. Would have been better to have played Jetta instead even though he hasn't been setting the world on fire. The match committee need to give Masten a holiday next week (back to the 2s). Will it happen though is the big question.

Disappointing to think that opposition coaches say to their team if you put enough pressure on the Eagles they will crumble and be your bitches ........
Yep - we would be extremely easy to coach against when NN isn't playing.

Drop a spare man back to double team Kennedy, try to block up space around stoppages and put as much physical defensive pressure on Shuey and Gaff as possible.

The pressure will force them to bang it on the boot in Kennedy's direction (Priddis will generally do it regardless of pressure), and because the kick will be up and under, he won't be able to mark it resulting in a loose ball.

Because we have no natural crumbers, the extra defender will usually be able to take possession, allowing for a clean R50. All other mids stream into an empty forward line.

Then it's just a matter of chipping it diagonally to break through the zone and then spotting up the free player.

Of course, Naitanui's hit outs to advantage at bouncedowns allow Shuey to run forward which lets him hit up Kennedy on the lead, which is what he's more suited to.

IMO we should be swinging McGovern forward when we are only getting dirty rushed I50s because he reads the ball so well in the air. Maybe Kennedy can move to a wing Riewoldt-style when he's being scragged out of the game, so he can outrun his opponent.

Ultimately the problem is that we can't get meaningful clearances when it is properly contested (ie. sans NN's golden hitouts and above average physical pressure from the opposition).

I watched Melbourne today live, and while their execution and decision making on the outside was often deplorable, in tight they will rarely just bang it on the boot. When pressured, they will move around for each other and handball until they are in space and running towards goal. Then they kick. We don't seem to be able to do this - we just stand still and play hot potato, handballing to players knees until one of them decides to bang it on the boot

Positive: if the "Weagles Web" is dead (according to afl.com.au) then hopefully the stupid phrase will stop being used.

It was cute for the first week or two then just got annoying

Negatives:
1. Cannot deal with teams playing man on man Vs us.
2. Some players were just not hard enough.
3. No individual run /block to clear ball in tight packs.
4. Short hand ball in tight pack never work.

No positives but some opportunities as follows:
1. Other teams will continue to use this strategy to go again the Eagles in the next games to come. We need to architect counter -strategies to clear the ball. Nick Nat back might help but in the long run, strategies like "quick and longer handball to a destinated position", "big body blocking" should be look at.
2. Now we have opportunities to win the rest of the 4 home/away games to go to the top 2. We can do it but we have to lift the intensity. Play with no pain!

NOTE: I recall the Western Bulldogs played an attacking styles of football without defending intensity in the last decade. The Eagles beat them most of time playing the hard defending styles. Now other teams are learning to beat us using the same method.

That's two woeful games Masten has had in succession amongst others. Either he's playing injured or desperately out of form. Would have been better to have played Jetta instead even though he hasn't been setting the world on fire. The match committee need to give Masten a holiday next week (back to the 2s). Will it happen though is the big question.

Are you kidding??? Masten kicked a set shot goal from 45 meters!! Bet that's the longest set shot he has ever kicked!

now, where is my sarcasm sign......

Neg - Collingwood more than doubled our tackle count in the third quarter. We couldn't handle it.

mmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnPositives.Karpany makes good decisions and is composed under pressure,
Darling good early
Sheed not far off.
One less week to wait for NN
Contrary to popular opinion i thought Tunbridge tried hard and made contests.Give him time
Negatives;Gaff,Priddis and Shuey butchering easy passes into the forward line
Lecras was awful
Maston?? Cmon Simmo your taking the piss.
Butler goes when its his turn but doesnt go otherwise.Sllloooooow decision maker.
Gaff,Priddis,Maston Shuey and Hutching? now theres a midfield to strike fear into the opposition .
Too Kennedy conscious
One less week to wait for NN.Our bunnies will suddenly start to look good again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives - Darling, Cripps & Hill. Without these 3 we would have been lucky to convert anything at all.

Negatives - Game was lost at selection table.

Our other defenders are too dumb not to have Gov back there. Just because he is flexible and can play multiple positions as is what Simpson likes that doesn't mean the other players around him are good enough to be flexible to play without him there. That first quarter would have had Simpson saying "my kingdom for Barrass"

So the dropping of Barrassment Panda & Giles was a bad move. Our team is inflexible and unless you are going to make wholesale changes we have too many players that can only play one way or one position. And the talented players like Gov, Hill & Lycett that give it a go wherever they are on their lonesome in this team.
So if you are going to move Gov into the ruck you need the extra tall intercept player in Barrass. If you want Gov to fill that role then he can't play ruck its a simple mathematical equation. I thought it was flat out embarrassing watching Darcy Moore take mark after mark knowing those changes they made.
Right?!? Surely the club were aware that if they dropped our second ruck that they'd have to play the Gov in there at times. So why then also drop the guy who could cover him in the backline? It's ****ing ******ed.

Positives - reviewing the game should assist list management decisions at years end!

Negatives - List management will view Masten's goal, Butler spinning around in circles desperately trying to offload back & across the ground, McKenzie's dropped mark & pick up and LeCras ability to take a tackle (repeatedly) as positives and go to the draft with a view to topping up before the GWS juggernaut can truly take shape...

Positivepppls
Positivepppls
i think after that result ,most people now realise we arnt going anywhere this year so instead of trying to make policy on the run lets use these last few games to start getting it right for next year.Lecras looks shot,Emac is too good a footballer to just scrap;play him for the rest of the year to get him ready for next year.Yes lots of talls with Barass down there as well but surely any of those three could play forward and take the pressure off kennedy?we need to bite the bullet and say goodbye to Maston.Yes he can run but my grandma could bully him in a contest.keep playing Reddan when fit; to bed him into the team.Dont drop Karpany hes got the goods.Play Lamb and Cole.Play Colledge or get rid of him.We need to take a few steps backwards to start going forwards.Swap Cole for Butler.Butler does just enough no more.We want somebody hungrier and meaner.I thought Shuey was going to be our No 1 mid going forward but hes not.Too much time ducking and diving and his passing at times under no pressure is abysmal.gaffy? do all your stats show your shit passes.Enough of the lolly kicks.Kick the bloody thing.!!

I don't want to go through this thread but with Moore injured early we were again at an advantage and not able to capitalise. This has happened plenty this year with our opponents losing blokes in the early stages and we still get run off our feet. Our fitness and strength is down without a doubt.

Don't get me started on tackling. Pretty sure the whole league knows we're weak in that regard so expect the broken tackles to continue. We might get lucky with the odd HTTB free but let slip a few tackles that lead to goals and we're sure to go 1&4 to round out the season.

Right?!? Surely the club were aware that if they dropped our second ruck that they'd have to play the Gov in there at times. So why then also drop the guy who could cover him in the backline? It's ******* ******ed.
Cos the MC have a hard on for schofield who came in to the side to play that role. Abysmally i might add.

Well this just tops it off (not that a rising star nom against us is a surprise, just how much he did in such little time)
AFL.Priddis.com said:
DARCY Moore played just 34 per cent of the game against West Coast to earn this week's nomination for the NAB AFL Rising Star award.

Equating to a quarter-and-a-half of football, the young Collingwood star kicked 3.2, took six marks (five contested) and contributed one goal assist before hurting his hamstring in the second term.

Man down, significant man down & still don't capitalise. Ugh.

So were Collingwood after 34minutes. Damage done was far to great obviously.

Yeah but its not just the tall down. Schofield & Mackenzie aren't bright they just trail their men and try to beat them in a 1 on 1. Gov reads the play so well he gets himself into the hole everytime and often leaves a man to do so. Schofield & Mackenzie cant seem to do that. But in his first few games Barrass has shown that he has the ability to be that guy.

Positives - reviewing the game should assist list management decisions at years end!

Negatives - List management will view Masten's goal, Butler spinning around in circles desperately trying to offload back & across the ground, McKenzie's dropped mark & pick up and LeCras ability to take a tackle (repeatedly) as positives and go to the draft with a view to topping up before the GWS juggernaut can truly take shape...
Won't matter who we get in the draft. The GWS ship is already launched.
Will be behind them next year for sure.

Not a lot of point in mini rebuild, may as well do it properly now LOL! :):p:D

:(

I think if you check the stats re handballs, that we are one of the sides who uses handballs the least. That's what I've heard anyway. Most weeks we kick more than handball. Correct me if I'm wrong. All of your other comments both plus and minus have merit though.
Stats probably do say differently, but I see what I see and that's us handballing continuously under pressure to a player half a metre away, standing still or when they are pretty much being tackled before they have even received the ball when a long kick 50 metres down field can sometimes alleviate the pressure or a least give the pressured players the time to reset. We just keep handpassing until it finally gets turned over and the opposition kick a goal, it's almost a set play with us and when it's on our home deck, the crowd groans here we go again, a big problem is our coaching staff and players tend not to learn from mistakes, the club could be summed up by the word madness, an example of such is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result, That's us to a tee!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives & Negatives v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back