Review Positives & Negatives V Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

the commentary team on 7 wasn't half bad today

giphy.gif

I thought Petch was pretty important his chasing was very good
He got a couple of clearances and did his role well.
We have needed some pace in out forward line and another quick
small to chase

In regards to pace, I can't argue with that. I've never rated him so I'm probably negative biasing. Fair call.
We need crumbers like nothing else at the moment and I don't rate Petch as a ground ball guy. He can't kick and can't tackle well.
If he could stop spraying every kick, he'd immediately be more top shelf.

I also really felt proud with every loose ball, they were attacking it and with every player trying to run them down. You could tell everyone was sprinting whenever there was room and throwing themselves over the ball.

Loved Barrass's awkward hip and shoulder.

Last 30 seconds. Looked horrendous, Graham-esque. Walked it off.
I gave Brander a spray through the telly for that. Could have been a major injury induced by short stepping.

I really hope the kid finds some Mongrel From somewhere.

The biggest positive for me is Liam Ryan’s continuing development. He is fast becoming a superstar.

This year, and in particular over the last few games he has started to show amazing poise in heavy traffic. It’s like he’s absorbed Rioli’s talents in his absence. He’s really becoming a multifaceted force that any opposition will struggle to suppress.

Indeed. I can honestly say that he has already completely exceeded what I thought his ceiling was when we drafted him.

The improvement during the second half of this season has been nothing short of spectacular. Some of the things he has done recently have made me think of Andrew McLeod during his early years as a forward before moving further up the ground.

Tonight he had 8 contested possessions, 9 score involvements (equal highest on ground with Kelly) and 3 marks inside forward fifty (equal highest on ground with Darling).

The combination that he is developing of being a marking presence up forward and creative facilitator higher up the ground is an absolute nightmare of a match-up for opponents.

I gave Brander a spray through the telly for that. Could have been a major injury induced by short stepping.

I really hope the kid finds some Mongrel From somewhere.
Yeah I've called it treading water in the past but its absolutely a feature of his game that needs removing. Just happy he's alright.

The classic "more likely to get hurt half going at a contest" argument in full effect there.

Indeed. I can honestly say that he has already completely exceeded what I thought his ceiling was when we drafted him.

The improvement during the second half of this season has been nothing short of spectacular. Some of the things he has done recently have made me think of Andrew McLeod during his early years as a forward before moving further up the ground.

Tonight he had 8 contested possessions, 9 score involvements (equal highest on ground with Kelly) and 3 marks inside forward fifty (equal highest on ground with Darling).

The combination that he is developing of being a marking presence up forward and creative facilitator higher up the ground is an absolute nightmare of a match-up for opponents.
I think the blue print for this season was set last year. His fitness imrpoved drastically last season and he covering me more ground than ever. Was pushing deep into defence to lay pressure and even mark the footy. Wouldn't mind us getting creative and using him at a couple centre bounces.

I want to see more of Duggan in the midfield too. Rotham and Nelson can cover him down back.

with our plethora of backs and the likelihood of mids missing the rest of the season - I think he is there the rest of 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+ Just about everything. Leading by two goals at 3/4 time I was relaxed. My usage of loud profanity increased massively in the last as the Saints looked to snatch it from us before the boys saved the day.

- Virtually no chance of a home final for us this year. We're likely off to Adelaide to play Port. Although if we lost to North next week we would finish 5th and maybe play the Saints or Giants at home in an elimination final.

Yeah I've called it treading water in the past but its absolutely a feature of his game that needs removing. Just happy he's alright.

The classic "more likely to get hurt half going at a contest" argument in full effect there.

All the times I got seriously injured playing rugby and AFL, it was hesitation or plain stupidity. You have to go hard at the ball 100% because locked muscles and joints are prime targets for damage. Every coach I've ever had hammered that into us. It's a golden rule you teach kids.

All the times I got seriously injured playing rugby and AFL, it was hesitation or plain stupidity. You have to go hard at the ball 100% because locked muscles and joints are prime targets for damage. Every coach I've ever had hammered that into us. It's a golden rule you teach kids.

Beat me to it, as I was going to post something along the same lines.

If you’d like to listen to our commentary while you enjoy a replay of tonight’s epic, it’s now live on Spreaker!

Listen, scrub through, skip to whichever part you like. UTBC.

Good stuff, I re-watched the final quarter with your commentary. No cliches, no gambling ads, no f*cking Pav on the boundary, chuck in a couple SGIO chants and some booing and it's the full package.

Good stuff, I re-watched the final quarter with your commentary. No cliches, no gambling ads, no f*cking Pav on the boundary, chuck in a couple SGIO chants and some booing and it's the full package.
Cheers mate.

Noticing your picture - I also dropped what I believe to be the greatest hip hop reference of our time in the first quarter but so far haven't had any feedback on it, pretty flat 😂

What a an absolutely brilliant win. This is easily our best win of the season, and one of the greatest in the clubs history. We were literally missing a midfield, down in the last quarter by 3 goals, and yet, somehow, from a deep part of the soul this club has built itself, we came back.

Season defining wins like this prove to be the turning point in premiership seasons. It happened against Geelong in 2006, it happened against Port in 2018, and now we’ve found that launch pad for 2020.

I also thought that those who missed the flag in 2018 lifted massively - Gaff and Nic in particular. Hopefully we can get them those medals this year.

Last edited:
I think that performance by Kelly is the sort of performance that will make him an Eagle, in his own eyes and the eyes of his teammates'.

No question it would have been difficult to come in on big money, with big raps, having paid a lot at the draft table and just be plonked in that midfield, with coaches asking established players to block for him. It would have put a few noses out of joint, even if they didn't realise it themselves, it always does.

But now he's earned that trust, he's done it the hard way and that can only be good for us going forward. Once we get that midfield mix humming, it's going to be a thing of beauty.

Cheers mate.

Noticing your picture - I also dropped what I believe to be the greatest hip hop reference of our time in the first quarter but so far haven't had any feedback on it, pretty flat 😂
Was it a Changes reference?

**** now I have to go watch the first quarter.

Cheers mate.

my picture was a tribute to kelly's mad monday costume last year, haven't bothered to change it.

i'll see if i can find it tomorrow. (do you liken tom cole to j.cole?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives & Negatives V Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back