Unofficial Preview Prematch discussion/changes vs Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anyone else nervous about this game? I am.

Gold Coast are a complete confidence side. If they don't have any, they get thrashed. If they get some, everything seems to click and they suddenly look brilliant. They have A...A...Ab...I'm like Fonzie apologising, I can't say his name without getting night terrors - anyway the bald guy playing average footy for him/damn good footy for everyone else, David Swallow back on the park (gee they've missed him), the best contested mark in the game up forward and are generally capable everywhere else when they believe in themselves.

They also have a nasty habit of making us our bunnies.

Whereas with us, I'm nervous that all the effort and intensity that has gone into so many tough, close losses becomes like inflating a balloon to the point where it doesn't need much to burst.

Of course, for all I know we'll kick the first 8 goals of the match and win by 60.
Every team we play going forward will feel they are never out of the game against us. They will keep coming as they believe we will capitulate.

Every team we play going forward will feel they are never out of the game against us. They will keep coming as they believe we will capitulate.

True, but this is a problem of our own making that will be rectified in time. We could have completely put Freo away in the 3rd quarter. We should have held at least an 8 goal lead.n

Gold Coast's outside run is going to kill us again if we don't bring in a couple of genuine outside runners like Clarke, Mountford and/or Anderson. They will feast on our turnovers.

Gold Coast's outside run is going to kill us again if we don't bring in a couple of genuine outside runners like Clarke, Mountford and/or Anderson. They will feast on our turnovers.

I can't see those blokes being capable of combatting Ablett, Hall, Saad etc.

Our backline will deliver as usual and keep us in the game for as long as possible, but I think a win will ultimately depend on dominating the rucks & clearances and the forwards complimenting with a big night out.

If we over finesse, we WILL get beaten.

True, but this is a problem of our own making that will be rectified in time. We could have completely put Freo away in the 3rd quarter. We should have held at least an 8 goal lead.n
Yeah? I've seen a fair of us a) struggling to hold onto leads and b) not going on and thumping sides when on top over the last 7 years. The personal has slowly changed on field but the same problems exist. How do you see this being rectified moving forward? :stern look

Yeah? I've seen a fair of us a) struggling to hold onto leads and b) not going on and thumping sides when on top over the last 7 years. The personal has slowly changed on field but the same problems exist. How do you see this being rectified moving forward? :stern look

The problem exists in part to a lack of experience and a need to recruit/draft a few more players to rectify the situation.

The problem exists in part to a lack of experience and a need to recruit/draft a few more players to rectify the situation.

Coming middle of the ladder for the majority of 17 years gave us where we are today.

We haven't been a part of the destruction cycle the AFL implemented with salary cap and the draft.

We were supposed to go back down to where we are now for 3 or 4 years get gun draft picks and then float back up to a Flag aka Dogs.

Yeah? We recruited the experienced Dal Santo, Waite and Higgins to compliment the already experienced Petrie, Harvey, Wells and Spud. Currently our side has the experienced Thompson, Swallow, Thomas, Goldstein, Ziebell, Cunnington, Gibson, Hansen, Macmillan, Atley and Tarrant and that's not mentioning some of those who are currently injured. Not sure that even now after moving on the likes of Harvey and Petrie that we are inexperienced. Seeing that you said "in part" experience or a lack of thereof is a reason for our inability at times to hold onto leads over the last 7 years, what is the other part or parts that see us have this problem? :stern look

Yeah? We recruited the experienced Dal Santo, Waite and Higgins to compliment the already experienced Petrie, Harvey, Wells and Spud. Currently our side has the experienced Thompson, Swallow, Thomas, Goldstein, Ziebell, Cunnington, Gibson, Hansen, Macmillan, Atley and Tarrant and that's not mentioning some of those who are currently injured. Not sure that even now after moving on the likes of Harvey and Petrie that we are inexperienced. Seeing that you said "in part" experience or a lack of thereof is a reason for our inability at times to hold onto leads over the last 7 years, what is the other part or parts that see us have this problem? :stern look

Snake_Baker oh oh oh please let me answer....I know the answer....

P

I'm not referring to the last 7 years, my post relates to the team now.

If you want to refer to the past then I would bring depth in to last seasons equation. If we didn't lose 10 blokes in the middle of last year then we could actually be the reigning premiers right now. Our best footy last season was as good as what the Bulldogs produced in the finals. In fact the Bulldogs coach referred to the match against us late in the season as the turning point of their season.

Coming middle of the ladder for the majority of 17 years gave us where we are today.

We haven't been a part of the destruction cycle the AFL implemented with salary cap and the draft.

We were supposed to go back down to where we are now for 3 or 4 years get gun draft picks and then float back up to a Flag aka Dogs.

Jason Johannisen the Norm Smith medalist was selected in the 2010 rookie draft & so was Dalhaus. Liam Picken was from the 2009 rookie draft. Their picks inside the top 10 were Bontempelli at 4, Stringer at 6, (who was their worst player in last years final series) & MacCrae at 6. Having top 10 draft picks each year doesn't guarantee success otherwise Gold Coast would be perennial Grand Finalists. The change in culture & coaching at the dogs changed things more than their draft position as did nailing their draft picks outside the first round - Marcus Adams & Mclean in the 2nd round & Lachie Hunter & Dickson in the 3rd round for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jason Johannisen the Norm Smith medalist was selected in the 2010 rookie draft & so was Dalhaus. Liam Picken was from the 2009 rookie draft. Their picks inside the top 10 were Bontempelli at 4, Stringer at 6, (who was their worst player in last years final series) & MacCrae at 6. Having top 10 draft picks each year doesn't guarantee success otherwise Gold Coast would be perennial Grand Finalists. The change in culture & coaching at the dogs changed things more than their draft position as did nailing their draft picks outside the first round - Marcus Adams & Mclean in the 2nd round & Lachie Hunter & Dickson in the 3rd round for example.

17 years I said.

P

If you want to refer to the past then I would bring depth in to last seasons equation. If we didn't lose 10 blokes in the middle of last year then we could actually be the reigning premiers right now. Our best footy last season was as good as what the Bulldogs produced in the finals. In fact the Bulldogs coach referred to the match against us late in the season as the turning point of their season.

Told you I should have answered.

Ahh you bring up the Bulldogs. A team who also lost important players. Who finished in a very similar position to us at the end of the H&A. Found themselves having to travel interstate in the first week of the finals just like us. Yet they won the Flag whilst we were giving up planning for the future ignoring the present resulting in an elimination final capitulation.

But back to what I asked you previously. What are the other part or parts that see us have this problem of coughing up leads now just like we have for the last 7 years? :stern look

Ahh you bring up the Bulldogs. A team who also lost important players. Who finished in a very similar position to us at the end of the H&A. Found themselves having to travel interstate in the first week of the finals just like us. Yet they won the Flag whilst we were giving up planning for the future ignoring the present resulting in an elimination final capitulation.

But back to what I asked you previously. What are the other part or parts that see us have this problem of coughing up leads now just like we have for the last 7 years? :stern look

You are being ridiculous by drawing comparisons between the bulldogs injury situation and ours in 2016.

The data set of "the last 7 years" is irrelevant to the North 2017 season. You are attempting to draw a conclusion that has little relevance.

And you also said:

The Doggies have only 2 'gun' picks over the last several years that shone in the finals.

You are being ridiculous by drawing comparisons between the bulldogs injury situation and ours in 2016.

The data set of "the last 7 years" is irrelevant to the North 2017 season. You are attempting to draw a conclusion that has little relevance.

Welcome to another merry go round of questions.

Interesting though that you have to cherry pick your own response.

Or perhaps you can try a few snide remarks & then complain when others respond more overtly.

17 years is what I originally said.

Top ups...rejects...from 2001 to 2009...wasted opportunity.

When we were running around cheering how great it was to beat cellar dwellers Hawthorn...they were heading off to the draft to get Buddy ...Hodge...etc...

Where were we? Cheering on false hopes.

We avoided short term pain but have paid the price since.

P

And they only won that cos our entire forward line minus Petrie was injured.

Welcome to another merry go round of questions.

Zondor = the eternal contrarian

I think he's attempting to corrall me about the coach. Zondor must have a short memory if he thinks I am some huge Brad Scott supporter.

Well going by the last '17 years':

2002: Pick 2 Daniel Wells & Pick 9 Hamish McIntosh
2003: Pick 9 David Trotter
2006: Pick 3 Lachie Hansen
2008: Pick 8 Jack Ziebell
2009: Pick 5 Ben Cunnington
2013: Pick 8 Luke McDonald

As I said, much more to do with coaching, culture & nailing draft picks outside of the first round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Prematch discussion/changes vs Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back