Unofficial Preview Prematch discussion/changes vs Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Out- swallow, Thomas, goldy

If Thomas plays this week with the abundance of small forwards we have I will lose my shit. We have plenty of kids who can get it less than 10 times a game and miss a couple of soda's week in week out.
Swallow kicks like my 3 year old, but my boy doesn't kick with his shin quite as much.
Get goldy right for the run home to up his value. Preuss will struggle at times as the lone ruckmen, but who gives a stuff when we are zip-5.

In- Clarke, Anderson, preuss

If mountford backs up again next week. Than give him another crack and rest a young bloke like turner, garner or Simpkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FB: Ed Vickers-Willis, Scott Thompson, Lachie Hansen
HB: Jamie Macmillan, Robbie Tarrant, Marley Williams
C: Luke McDonald, Ben Cunnington, Sam Gibson
HF: Mason Wood, Majak Daw, Taylor Garner
FF: Kayne Turner, Ben Brown, Jy Simpkin
R: Braydon Preuss, Trent Dumont, Shaun Higgins
I/C: Ryan Clarke, Nathan Hrovat, Aaron Mullett, Jed Anderson
EMG: Declan Mountford, Mitch Hibberd, Sam Durdin

IN: Daw, Preuss, Higgins, Clarke, Anderson
OUT: Goldstein (inj/rest), Ziebell (inj/rest), Swallow (finished), Thomas (finished), Atley (not good enough)

Personally I think it's time to drop Swallow and I'd like to do the same with Thomas. The rest of the outs I could take or leave.
I know it seems like a personal opinion, but if BF is anything to go by, it seems to be 'universal truth'. A 'truth' with which I concur.

Swallow and Thomas speak for themselves. Just not getting it done and we have players who are ready to go.
See?

Out: Swallow - Thomas - Turner
In: Anderson - Higgins - Clarke

Turner stiff but we have too many smalls who don't/can't rotate through the middle. In reality Simpkin should be the out considering his pressure aint' as good as Turners and thats what they are there for, but hey, candy.

B: Williams - Tarrant - Thompson
HB: Atley - Hansen - Mullett
C: McDonald - Cunnington - Anderson
HF: Ziebell - Wood - Hrovat
F: Garner - Brown - Simpkin
R: Goldstein - Higgins - Dumont
Int: Clarke - Macmillan - Gibson - Vickers-Willis

Ziebell to spend a bit more time up forward as that quasi-third tall and with stints on ball.

Higgins, Anderson and Clarke to add to the rotations in the middle and all can swing off half forward to rotate. Cunners, Dumont, Ziebell, Higgins, Anderson, Hrovat and Clarke should be more than sufficient clearance rotations. Gibson, McDonald, Mullett and Macmillan running hard to provide outlets and defensive coverage.
I haven't watched Turner or reviewed his stats to know whether the view of a few, including yourself, is right about him needing to do more. For me, if he kicks one or two a game and puts on good defensive pressure, he's doing his job.

My concern, therefore, with your changes is having Simpkin and Hrovat in the forward half who won't apply the same pressure. The faster players in the forward line are those two, plus Garner.

While we'd want Jed running in the middle, as you suggest, he'd apply the pressure in the forward half if he's there. My hunch is that Hrovat offers slightly more than Anderson offensively (more effective, less turnovers and more goals?) but less defensively (less tackles and 1%ers).

I don't mind it B Tron but I still don't think we should have BBB relief rucking. It takes too much away from our forward set up. For mine we bring Preuss back. I would also have Turner ahead of Hrovat.
I tend to agree. Wouldn't mind Preuss coming in, but not sure of the ramifications re midfield run. Speaking of which, Jed sounds like a perfect fit this week, reading that he tailed off in the last quarter.

I'd like to see Preuss in for Goldy for a full game - assuming he isn't right.

I also think that unless it is Preuss and Goldy we need another tall even if BBB is not having to move into the ruck. If JZ isn't going to play 80% of his time forward then we simply must pick Maj or give one of the younger talls a run.

He's [Brown] also proppy as all hell and has had a problem knee from the day he walked into the club. Unless we plan on not needing him in 2-3 years when next competing it seems insane to be rucking him by plan. If the #1 / 2 rucks go down in a prelim fine. Otherwise no.
Yes, I agree with not rucking Brown if we can help it, for the sake of his knees if nothing else. Last week, until Goldy went off, it was okay structurally, as I think Brown rucked against Johnson, cancelling each other out.

So, if not Preuss, who? If, as someone has said, Daw had a mattress strapped to his leg, is he right to go anyway? I can't see how any of the kids would be ready, at least based on past MC form. You wouldn't put BMac in based on last weekends effort, not Larkey, from a physical point of view. In short, I dunno.

Perhaps again short-sighted of Cam to delist Boomer, leaving us one short in totem pole ruck stocks.

Perhaps again short-sighted of Cam to delist Boomer, leaving us one short in totem pole ruck stocks.

I laughed :thumbsu:.

I'm not over convinced on the Pruess / Goldy combo as such but can wear it as a development thing. I think if Daw is not fit our ready to go options are:

- JZ forward which makes more space in the middle for a few younger guys (or more likely they will put Swallow back there because they can't seem to drop him...)
- Hansen
- Tarrant

I'd be more inclined to try Hansen forward out of those latter two, not necessarily because I think he'd be better or worse at it than Tarrant but because I think Tarrant is still a genuinely good KPD. Hansen is in good form but not a man on man player in general.

All the above predicated on the assumption that none of the younger guys are physically ready to go - which I'm not in a position to comment on.

I laughed :thumbsu:.

I'm not over convinced on the Pruess / Goldy combo as such but can wear it as a development thing. I think if Daw is not fit our ready to go options are:

- JZ forward which makes more space in the middle for a few younger guys (or more likely they will put Swallow back there because they can't seem to drop him...)
- Hansen
- Tarrant

I'd be more inclined to try Hansen forward out of those latter two, not necessarily because I think he'd be better or worse at it than Tarrant but because I think Tarrant is still a genuinely good KPD. Hansen is in good form but not a man on man player in general.

All the above predicated on the assumption that none of the younger guys are physically ready to go - which I'm not in a position to comment on.
Happy for Jack to play forward a bit more than he has. Agree Robbie is needed down back.

Feel somewhat nervous about what Lachie would offer up forward nowadays. The game has changed a bit since he played there, with even more rebound from opposition defensive 50. He'd clunk a few, perhaps, but how's his goal kicking and what sort of pressure would he apply on the ground. I'd suggest not dissimilar to Brown.

Depending on match ups, if I was going 'experimental', I'd throw Larkey in. He's more physical than his body suggests, agile, a decent mark and while he wouldn't nail all his defensive efforts, he wouldn't die wondering.

It's going to be one of the more interesting Thursday selections. No doubt, one of Swallow and Thomas (maybe, both) will be out. You'd have to think Higgins and Clarke are definite ins. After that, injuries/suspensions might come into play. Anderson must be close. I'm tipping 2 guys from the Freo game will be omitted, but no more. I'd be OK with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turnovers hurt. Imagine that all of the players are streaming forward through the middle and then swallow misses a handball or fumbles. Everyone is out of position and it makes it look like we have no gas left but realistically the players just don't have time to get back (rather than being slow). This happens 60+ times a game with us. No wonder we look shit after 10mins in the third

It's going to be one of the more interesting Thursday selections. ̶N̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶u̶b̶t̶, one of Swallow and Thomas (maybe, both) May be out. You'd have to think Higgins and Clarke are possible ins. After that, injuries/suspensions might come into play. Anderson must be close. I'm tipping 2 guys from the Freo game will be omitted, but no more. I'd be OK with that.
edited predicting what is more likely.

Let's just assume that we give Clarke an extended run, and the powers decide that he doesn't have what it takes to help us win our next flag. It's a win of sorts, because he can be delisted traded and we can try another player.
FTFY.

We need more than Goldy as trade currency if we want Kelly without completely gutting our draft position and the more kids we can showcase the better.

I don't mind it B Tron but I still don't think we should have BBB relief rucking. It takes too much away from our forward set up. For mine we bring Preuss back. I would also have Turner ahead of Hrovat.
Yeah, the relief ruck is an issue but a few mins here and there shouldn't be too taxing on BBB.

Re Turner and Hrovat, they are playing differnet roles though. Turner, Simpkin and Thomas are all primarly inside 50 smalls at the minute. Garner a bit more hit up but does that too. We have too many IMO and not enough run further up the ground, from where Hrovat plays (HFF primarily) through the wings and guts. Drop 2 small inside 50 players for two rotation mids.

I'm in for the groupthink.

Out: Thomas (omit), Swallow (TFYS), Goldstein (inj)
In: Clarke, Higgins, Preuss

That still leaves us with only a proppy Brown up forward and no real relief ruck. Turner seems to have been doing his job but I'm willing to do without him to fir Daw in assuming he's fit enough. Either that or Hansen (susp). Haven't looked at GC's forward line. Is Tarrant/Thompson/EVW enough for their talls?

Have to play Clarke and Anderson

mystical-orb.jpg

And so it begins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was just thinking this morning, that 'all' those people citing the fact that we're not fielding a young team vis-a-vis other teams are focusing on the age. However, given that we tend not to throw the kids in straightaway, and 'make them earn it' over 2-3 years, does this make our age profile look higher in relation to experience?
Don't think it is that big a factor.

We had the same amount of players under 50 games as Geelong and Hawthorn on the weekend (7), yet both are on average a year older overall.

Don't think it is that big a factor.

We had the same amount of players under 50 games as Geelong and Hawthorn on the weekend (7), yet both are on average a year older overall.
Yeah, I just found my answer in the autopsy thread, courtesy of lockheed. 7th for age, 8th for experience.

I feel like Swallow getting dropped would be a bigger story than LT getting dropped as it's probably career over for Swallow.

Hence I think it will be

Out: LT Turner
In: Higgins Clarke

and maybe the ruck swap if Goldy isn't fit

Shame really

I haven't watched Turner or reviewed his stats to know whether the view of a few, including yourself, is right about him needing to do more. For me, if he kicks one or two a game and puts on good defensive pressure, he's doing his job.

My concern, therefore, with your changes is having Simpkin and Hrovat in the forward half who won't apply the same pressure. The faster players in the forward line are those two, plus Garner.
My view is more on balance, as stated above. We have too many stay home small forwards (Turner, Simpkin, Thomas and Garner essentially) who do not rotate through the middle. Hrovat is more likely to do that than the other 4 so I don't include him in that group. Replace two of those with a combo of Clarke/Anderson/Hrovat/Higgins and do we really miss anything? Send these guys out there to rotate further up the group but to ensure that when they are in the F50 that they chase and harrass like a Adam Hueskes on a Saturday night.

Do this and it is less likely that our runners fatigue so much that we give up 5 goal leads in the last.

I'm in for the groupthink.

Out: Thomas (omit), Swallow (TFYS), Goldstein (inj)
In: Clarke, Higgins, Preuss

That still leaves us with only a proppy Brown up forward and no real relief ruck. Turner seems to have been doing his job but I'm willing to do without him to fir Daw in assuming he's fit enough. Either that or Hansen (susp). Haven't looked at GC's forward line. Is Tarrant/Thompson/EVW enough for their talls?

Brown definitely needs a chop out. The sooner we get Maj in the side the better. Otherwise we're going to ruin Brown.

My view is more on balance, as stated above. We have too many stay home small forwards (Turner, Simpkin, Thomas and Garner essentially) who do not rotate through the middle. Hrovat is more likely to do that than the other 4 so I don't include him in that group. Replace two of those with a combo of Clarke/Anderson/Hrovat/Higgins and do we really miss anything? Send these guys out there to rotate further up the group but to ensure that when they are in the F50 that they chase and harrass like a Adam Hueskes on a Saturday night.

Do this and it is less likely that our runners fatigue so much that we give up 5 goal leads in the last.
Garner has been pushing up a lot more in the past two games and is upping his disposal count. Simpkin as well to a lesser extent is getting further up the ground.
Flexibility is important and it is something we are lacking but doing what you're supposed to do in the side is the most important thing for a player and dropping Turner, our second leading goal scorer and equal best pressure forward would set a terrible example.

Brown definitely needs a chop out. The sooner we get Maj in the side the better. Otherwise we're going to ruin Brown.
Maj is struggling to get past his casual 10 disposals and a goal routine ATM. Not exactly in form is Maj.

Maj is struggling to get past his casual 10 disposals and a goal routine ATM. Not exactly in form is Maj.

Yeah I know but unless we play another tall beside brown (not Wood & not Preuss or Goldy) we're not going to be able to kick a winning score. Brown being exposed badly at the moment.

I mean Scott is playing blokes in the 1s that are doing less then Maj. Maj is just as likely to play well in the 1s then the VFL.

Hard to get much ball as a key forward when ball movement is as putrid as the Bs has been. In the highlights package there were multiple examples of him smashing packs and providing pressure around the ball which is something we're desperately lacking at the moment. Needs to come straight in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Prematch discussion/changes vs Gold Coast Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back