Qld Queensland State Election 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

And some of you guys occassionally escape south past our defensive wall.

Can you guys break away already? I want day light saving. You can have everything north of Noosa. Just form your own country and leave us be. You could call your country Crocland.
No worries at all mate. Although I'm a foreigner ( WA )

If you want daylight saving I've got an easy way for you to have it. Get up an hour earlier. :)

I'll take everything North of Noosa no problem. You lot can be baristas, bellhops, and tour guides and make your money that way.

We might even be able to save a quid and build some manufacturing industry if we stop getting a large proportion of the locally generated wealth "donated" elsewhere.

OK, so scare campaigns are OK if someone else starts it. Gotcha.

Trumps scare campaign about Haitians eating pets is now all ticked off as OK, as, well he didn't start. It was a local resident at a city commission meeting.
The LNP have refused to kill it. Crisafulli could have made an unequivocal statement protecting abortion laws in the beginning and ruled out a conscience vote. LNP MPs and candidates could have kept their mouths firmly shut about it, but more than one has been caught talking about their antipathy towards abortion. And to crown it all, Jacinta Price opened her big mouth and took the saga to the federal stage.

At every turn, the LNP have given the campaign more and more oxygen. It might have fizzled out otherwise. It's a spectacular error at the worst time.

The LNP have refused to kill it. Crisafulli could have made an unequivocal statement protecting abortion laws in the beginning and ruled out a conscience vote. LNP MPs and candidates could have kept their mouths firmly shut about it, but more than one has been caught talking about their antipathy towards abortion. And to crown it all, Jacinta Price opened her big mouth and took the saga to the federal stage.

At every turn, the LNP have given the campaign more and more oxygen. It might have fizzled out otherwise. It's a spectacular error at the worst time.
Yep.

Utter strategic madness. And SURELY it wasn't that hard to see?

Voters also know that there's a decent portion of the LNP in thrall to what's happening in America and the Republicans which doesn't overwhelm them with confidence when it comes to abortion laws.

100% This should have been killed the moment it became an issue. What it shows is how much power the ultra-conservatives have within the LNP, particularly in that part of the world.

I heard a couple of LNP candidates try to dance around the issue, it didn't make for good listening.

100% This should have been killed the moment it became an issue. What it shows is how much power the ultra-conservatives have within the LNP, particularly in that part of the world.

I heard a couple of LNP candidates try to dance around the issue, it didn't make for good listening.
I wouldn't even go with Ultra-conservatives. I'd go more with "Ultra-Christians", I'd call them very much a sub-group of the former.

As a life-time right of centre voter I cannot possibly believe that this type of "platform" appeals to even 5% of the core LNP constituency. The LNP is being hi-jacked by this sub-group in a not dissimilar way to the ALP is being hi-jacked by the Urban "educated elite". Neither party are closely "aligned" with their traditional "core constituencies" anymore.

The tail is definitely wagging the dog in terms of the QLD LNP at the moment.

I'm telling you here and now, the first party that tells me they're going to tax Religious groups and Mining companies properly will pretty much get my vote. Federally of course, after all taxation policy is their "job" not really the states at that level.

And I spent my lifetime in the mining industry. I'd suggest a straight tax on turnover for both, some-one cleverer than me can work out the details but the free ride these 2 groups get has to stop.

And the bastards constantly have their hand out for "subsidies", and the stupid governments, of all persuasions, keep falling for it. And don't start me on their fake virtue signaling.

Voters also know that there's a decent portion of the LNP in thrall to what's happening in America and the Republicans which doesn't overwhelm them with confidence when it comes to abortion laws.
let me see if i have this right

• katters sprog threatens pvt members bill removing abortion rights
  • crisafulli spends best part of 2 weeks awkwardly dancing around media questions on the subject
  • nampijinpa price throws a grenade into the mix forcing fellow fed colleagues to distance themselves from her position
  • barnyard backs nampijinpa price (in yet another episode of laughable hypocrisy from that drunken unhinged plonker)

and yet its all stephen miles fault? :think:

Except this incident happened in southern Queensland. You seem to be conflating inner Brisbane with all of southern Queensland. The Greens make little impact outside inner Brisbane.
Do the greens impact anywhere outside the inner?

At the federal level we have one green seat in inner inner melbourne and three green seats in south east qld. Three!

None anywhere else.

South east qld is the greens capital of australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do the greens impact anywhere outside the inner?
Byron Bay and Mullumbimby are the biggest Greens stronghold outside major cities. They hold the NSW state seat in that area and the Byron mayoralty. There's a swathe of about 10-12 booths between the two towns where the Greens got a 50%+ primary vote in the last federal election. Not after preferences, just in #1 votes.

They also have state members from four of the five Tasmanian seats, and several councillors in regional cities and towns. In Queensland though, they only have councillors in Brisbane and Cairns. Penny Allan-Payne, one of their Queensland senators, is based in Gladstone, but she'd never get elected from Gladstone votes alone.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it was killed during the debate on Tuesday night

I wouldn't even go with Ultra-conservatives. I'd go more with "Ultra-Christians", I'd call them very much a sub-group of the former.

As a life-time right of centre voter I cannot possibly believe that this type of "platform" appeals to even 5% of the core LNP constituency. The LNP is being hi-jacked by this sub-group in a not dissimilar way to the ALP is being hi-jacked by the Urban "educated elite". Neither party are closely "aligned" with their traditional "core constituencies" anymore.

The tail is definitely wagging the dog in terms of the QLD LNP at the moment.

I'm telling you here and now, the first party that tells me they're going to tax Religious groups and Mining companies properly will pretty much get my vote. Federally of course, after all taxation policy is their "job" not really the states at that level.

And I spent my lifetime in the mining industry. I'd suggest a straight tax on turnover for both, some-one cleverer than me can work out the details but the free ride these 2 groups get has to stop.

And the bastards constantly have their hand out for "subsidies", and the stupid governments, of all persuasions, keep falling for it. And don't start me on their fake virtue signaling.
You say urban educated elite like its a bad thing. Education is a great thing. Educated people know more then non educated people. We should listen to educated people.

Ps. The urban educated elite are the ones advocating for removing religious subsidies and taxing resource rents.

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, Albo/Labor have the perfect scare campaign that will win them the next federal election. LNP wont touch abortion but voters will see the shit that's happening in the US right now and will not want that here.
So scare campaigns are a good thing now?

Two pages ago scare campaigns were horribly immoral.

Byron Bay and Mullumbimby are the biggest Greens stronghold outside major cities. They hold the NSW state seat in that area and the Byron mayoralty. There's a swathe of about 10-12 booths between the two towns where the Greens got a 50%+ primary vote in the last federal election. Not after preferences, just in #1 votes.

They also have state members from four of the five Tasmanian seats, and several councillors in regional cities and towns. In Queensland though, they only have councillors in Brisbane and Cairns. Penny Allan-Payne, one of their Queensland senators, is based in Gladstone, but she'd never get elected from Gladstone votes alone.
And Byron bay is basically south east queensland. Brisbane and gold coasters regularly spend our weekends down there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Qld Queensland State Election 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back