Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Bringing in Cumming and having both him and Hinge on the half back flank is going to be revolutionary. Pushing Nank to the wing where I think his foot skills will flourish.
I’m interested whether jr gets a game, he was easily best 22 when fit back in the day. I know he was experimented in the forward line but I feel as if he was a lot better back.
ANB is easily best 22, saw him as a sub earlier and don’t agree with that.
Pick 4 hopefully is played straight away.

We don’t think any other big moves? I hope we can somehow get Peatling.

Interesting question around Jordon Butts. Had a much improved season. Looked much freer physically.

Most of us would have Murray, Keane, Worrell as our preferred trio but I suspect the club rate Butts higher than we do. Can seeing us running with an ultra tall backline rather than making a tough call.

Another question around Laird. He will put in the most diligent preseason imaginable to try to win back his starting midfield role. Will we stick to our guns or can he win a reprieve?

Milera...? Even assuming he gets back to full fitness, where does he play? Are we content to leave him in the SANFL and field a young, inexperienced line up with unused seniority in the reserves?

ANB for Murphy seems a simple, clean upgrade. Will the club see it that way?

Brodie...? Nicks proclaimed him a big part of our future but surely that was BS. Does he read the writing on the wall and pull the pin? If we dangled a development coaching role in front of him (he already coaches with our women's team) would he retire and take it?
Butts was much better than Murray in the games they played this year. Understandably so, given Murray was returning from an ACL. I would have Butts in front based on that and the extra height he has. Selection could go either way though and someone will be unlucky.

People seem to be forgetting how good Milera is. When he is fully fit, he absolutely starts on a half back flank.

Let's make some guesses on offseason

Cumming - FA
AnB - F2
Peatling - Pick 25 (most unlikely - but I think we are targeting a third player with good coin)
Draper (could be Lalor, Langford, Smillie)

Best 22

Worrell ~ Murray ~ Michalanney
Hinge ~ Keane ~ Milera
Cumming ~ Crouch ~ Dawson
Obrien ~ Rankine ~ Soligo
Peatling ~ Fogarty ~ Neale-Bullen
Keays ~ Thilthorpe ~ Rachele
Curtin ~ Draper ~ Taylor ~ Nankervis
Pedlar

SANFL

Smith ~ Butts ~ Bond
Ryan ~ Borlase ~ Laird
Sholl ~ Dowling ~ Jones
Strachan ~ Edwards ~ Berry
Murphy ~ Walker ~ Schoenberg
Cook ~ Welsh ~ Murray

Last edited:

Cumming - FA
AnB - F2
Peatling - Pick 25 (most unlikely - but I think we are targeting a third player with good coin)

Best 22

Hinge ~ Keane ~ Milera
Pedlar

SANFL

Smith ~ Butts ~ Bond
Ryan ~ Borlase ~ Laird
Sholl ~ Dowling ~ Jones
Cook ~ Welsh ~ Gallagher
Pick 4?

Cumming - FA
AnB - F2

Best 22

Hinge ~ Keane ~ Milera
Pedlar

SANFL

Smith ~ Butts ~ Bond
Ryan ~ Borlase ~ Laird
Sholl ~ Dowling ~ Jones
Cook ~ Welsh ~ Murray

No way Milera gets a gold pass and plays before Bond, and Bond’s selection has a double benefit as it frees up Maxy to play a more attacking role.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think Wayne makes the best 22 now that Cumming has to fit in the side.

He's been through so much, it's sad to see
He'll still get a few games next year I think (probably less than his talent level deserves), but yeah he should depth for us, from now on

If I was him, I'd be looking for opportunites at other clubs once his contract's up next year

B: Max Butts/Keane Worrell
HB: Hinge Murray Cumming
C: Nank Dawson Sholl
HF: ANB Fog Keays
FF: Rash Thilthorpe Curtin
R: ROB Rankine Crouch
I: Dowling Soligo Bond Pick 5 (Taylor)

Def Depth: Ryan, Laird, Milera, Smith, Borlase, Keane/Butts
Mid Depth: Edwards, Berry, Jones
Ruck Depth: Straughn
Fwd Depth: Walker, Murray, Pedlar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laird is not playing sanfl. He won't be in our midfield but will go back to hbf. He could very well do what zorko did this year.

Can win his own ball down there. Is tough. Was AA HBF before. He's not the most penetrative kick but we need some toughness back there.

Cumming - FA
AnB - F2

Best 22

Hinge ~ Keane ~ Milera
Pedlar

SANFL

Smith ~ Butts ~ Bond
Ryan ~ Borlase ~ Laird
Sholl ~ Dowling ~ Jones
Cook ~ Welsh ~ Murray

Sholl to the 2's? Not after his season.

Butts was much better than Murray in the games they played this year. Understandably so, given Murray was returning from an ACL. I would have Butts in front based on that and the extra height he has. Selection could go either way though and someone will be unlucky.

People seem to be forgetting how good Milera is. When he is fully fit, he absolutely starts on a half back flank.

Thats the issue though.

He did the exact same injury in early 2021 that he did in early 2024.

When he was 24 years old he missed the entire 2021 season and came back the next year and played 12 pretty average games before looking okay in 2023.

He is now 27 and missed all of 2024. We can't expect him to have a meaningful impact in 2025 and at best would expect him to be serviceable in 2026 at best. (at which stage he will be turning 29).

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back