Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm, I notice youre focussing on Brown, no comments about Doedee or McAdam?? Not selectively picking to try and shore up your point. I'm sure they (Doedee and McAdam) wouldn't have been handy at all. But again, as I said before, you keep twisting whatever reality you have to to convince yourself you're right, you're not going mad mate, its all good.
Doedee would have made no difference. He was injured last year and injured this year. We went 5-7 without him last year.

McAdam, maybe that's one player that would have helped.

So ultimately your point is that one okay player, a guy with a long term injury and a bunch of proven spuds on the list would have turned things around for Nicks because we could have used them as depth instead of first round draft picks

And then on top of that the arrogance to say I'm mad for thinking that's not the issue...

A lot of stuff there that hasn’t been there for a long time or typical under a Nicks led Crows, especially just in that 2nd quarter; scores from stoppage, centre clearances, pressing high to keep the ball in the front half, repeat F50 entries & run out of the backlines.
In the morning light, we won that game on the back of one quarter of dominance.
Crows were outscored in the other 3 quarters!
Honestly looked like a totally different team in that 2nd quarter.
Looked to me like the team playing how the players love to play.
The Coach soaked up the credit at half-time in CH7 live interview.

Last edited:
North got heaps out of finishing bottom and getting JHF though right?

What about GC getting Rowell, he stood out as much as Reid did in the underage comp, does his knee, still very good but dunno if he'll be what Reid is projecting to.

What about Bris getting Cam Rayner?

I don't think moving, at most, about 5 positions in the draft is too much to stress over.
JHF is a gun but an interstater drafted to a shit club is always dangerous but they’ve got 2 quality players out of it. Reid is supposedly going to be on $1.5M in a couple of years and there was no flight risk. Compare him to who they picked up.

Rowell is a gun and leading comp for clearances and tackles.

But no one is saying one player will win a flag for you, nor is every no 1 pick a gun, stupid arguments you’re trying to make, but the more elite talent certainly helps.

Draper is looking more and more like a non top 10 pick to me. I seriously doubt we select him at the draft because it will a big reach. In the National games so far his stats are roughly 20 touches - 7 kicks 13 handballs a game. So a quicker version of Laird

That may be due to his injury - has started behind the eight ball this year, but I suspect our pick will have better options available to us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No. just no.

In the morning light, we won that game on the back of one quarter of dominance.
Crows were outscored in he other 3 quarters!

Looked to me like the team playing how the players love to play.
The Coach soaked up the credit at half-time in CH7 live interview.
Kingsley letting Rankine run free is what cost GWS the game. Rankine was the difference.

So, has this board become a place where we're actively cheering against the club? Where winning a game or the side improving is a negative?
It hasn't 'become' anything.

It's still a board you can predominantly post on to complain that other people don't hold the opinions you'd rather be told.

???? You posted in it you fool?? :roflv1:
lol, you’d notice that I didn’t actually comment to your OP, I replied to Froggys post. I didn’t read your drivel.

Good to see you didn’t disagree you hid from your rebuild thread, remember when you used to bump that ;)

Last edited:
I was going to ask "Matt, who?" until I realised = Nicks, with whom I am not on a first-name basis.

Well, Matt can't.
Matt won't get past his dour defensive mindset and that slow chip-chip game that he prefers which allows the oppo to set up and stabilise ie plays right into their hands.
As the season progresses, I'm more and more convinced there's a disconnect between how Matt wants them to play and how the players love to play (eg until the last 2 minutes of the second quarter, then Nicks sent out the go-slow message, inexplicably).
Matt Nicks was brought in at a particularly low point as much to be a relationship builder as a coach. Clearly the needs have changed since then, now we need someone much more hard edged and tactically agile. I still can't bring myself to want us to lose though even if it might expedite his departure, it might also expedite the departure of good players and make it harder to attract ones to move to us.

Matt Nicks was brought in at a particularly low point as much to be a relationship builder as a coach. Clearly the needs have changed since then, now we need someone much more hard edged and tactically agile. I still can't bring myself to want us to lose though even if it might expedite his departure, it might also expedite the departure of good players and make it harder to attract ones to move to us.
The problem is the club have shown that a 34% win rate isn't shit enough to make a change.

So the question is how many losses will it take?

Kingsley letting Rankine run free is what cost GWS the game. Rankine was the difference.
Interesting take. Rankine turned the game, for sure, + Fog and Tex.
Kingsley had no reason to tag Rankine until maybe halfway through the second 1/4 when he was on fire, so he missed a trick there.
I think GWS kicked the last 3 goals in the first and then Greene the first goal in the second, so at 5.0 to 2.7 Kingsley woulda been pretty calm.
The tag he put on Rankine after halftime allowed Dawson to lift, but they kicked 7.6 to 4.7 after half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting take. Rankine turned the game, for sure, + Fog and Tex.
Kingsley had no reason to tag Rankine until maybe halfway through the second 1/4 when he was on fire, so he missed a trick there.
I think GWS kicked the last 3 goals in the first and then Greene the first goal in the second, so at 5.0 to 2.7 Kingsley woulda been pretty calm.
The tag he put on Rankine after halftime allowed Dawson to lift, but they kicked 7.6 to 4.7 after half time.
Yeah the poor kicking is what may have done it. Rankine had 9 touches and 2 behinds at quarter time and looked like he was about to break the game. He then went 12 touches 2 goals in the 2nd quarter.

Matt Nicks was brought in at a particularly low point as much to be a relationship builder as a coach. Clearly the needs have changed since then, now we need someone much more hard edged and tactically agile.
Fair and thoughtful reply, thanks.
I still can't bring myself to want us to lose though even if it might expedite his departure
I am similarly conflicted.
I loved the second quarter and enjoyed the win, then the reality of where we are under Nicks kicked in again.
it might also expedite the departure of good players and make it harder to attract ones to move to us.
:think::think:, I dunno.
I thought it'd be more likely we'd lose say Curtin and a few others who were disappointed at their lack of opportunity, as well as not enjoying losing.
I don't see Nicks-as-Coach as a drawcard to the Crows.

So, has this board become a place where we're actively cheering against the club? Where winning a game or the side improving is a negative?
Ffs would you just let it go..

You’re pretty much adding more negativity with your constant whinging about others saying something negative than those actually being negative are adding.

If you think for a second there is more positives than negatives that have come out of this season, and the odd win should shut any negativity down, then I dont know what to tell you..

Or making a player wait for half season means they are better prepared to play well when given a chance.
Recall Bigmans pre season reports. Up until January this year Taylor was often a long last in running drills - I reckon even in December he reported Rachele running back to encourage Taylor through the last part of a run

Now seems Taylor did a shed load of work over Christmas and finally started to put the effort in to put himself in the frame, then has show good consistency in the Sanfl to get a game and then looked the part.

That actually seems like good development

Hopefully he stays in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don’t see what any of that has to do with making him sub though. Murphy stunk it up for three quarters and ironically his only somewhat decent quarter was the last. Would’ve been an ideal, and more than deserved, sub candidate.

Soligo, no impact for a while and nowhere near early season form. Low tog again. Does he need a spell?
Good post, dragon, you're breathing fire.
I doubt they'd rest him vs Brisbane @ the Gabba. Maybe the week after?
Too bad we're copping Brisbane just when they're hitting good form again :sadv1: .
Cook - not involved enough again which means his work rate/fitness is not good enough.
I'm not convinced that Cook is good enough, even though he does some flashy things.
He's just not involved enough, playing like a very good player being tagged out of the game, except he's not being tagged.
Just disappears for long periods.
Murphy - nicks ur an idiot
So much this.
Laird - I don't think he was bad but season is over now, whats the point of giving him all the mid clock when we have Dowling waiting there.
Laird's gotta go back to HB full-time, but Nicks won't do that until we need to win more games than we have left to make the 8.

What will the coaches take away from that game in regards to Chayce Jones?

View attachment 2034631

Jim Carrey Chance GIF
This is a thing of beauty

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back