Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones breaks my heart. Have always held out hope for him.

I reckon he deserves a crack at a club where their development program doesn’t involve gaslighting the younger players.

Nothing has changed since Tex had to go back to Norwood to work on keeping his defender boundary side. It's still the Neil Craig development and football philosophy. Talent is not required if you can get continuity into a group of super fit and highly drilled individuals. Just give me 40 David Mackays.

They didn't play last year because we had very few injuries.
Genuine question.

Do you think this is the correct selection policy?

Or should it be form?

Or even hey lets give them a taste of AFL?

North got heaps out of finishing bottom and getting JHF though right?

What about GC getting Rowell, he stood out as much as Reid did in the underage comp, does his knee, still very good but dunno if he'll be what Reid is projecting to.

What about Bris getting Cam Rayner?

I don't think moving, at most, about 5 positions in the draft is too much to stress over.
While I don’t totally disagree with you that fans should be stressing about a possible change in picks of one or two places etc; I think it’s more for the reason of I don’t entirely trust the club to pick or develop the high picks regardless.

the discussion is a bit weird in that Reid was the stand out number one that would have likely preferred to stay in vic vs a move interstate etc. so not sure we can make the same argument that a random crows win is the equivalent to north losing Reid at the end of last year.

In saying that your argument of JHF is also strange, given that north got Sheezel and wardlaw out of it. I would easily be comfortable projecting both as elite players in the league very soon— wardlaw looks as good if not better than JHF already.

Rowell is a gun, and remember this is also the draft that GCS got Anderson in. (And crows picked…yeh we know. And who went directly after our pick? Serong, Young). Anyone who doesn’t recognise the year Rowell is putting together probably doesn’t watch a whole lot of football (don’t blame them for not watching gcs).

So I disagree with your point about position in draft being wholly useless, but also note that it’s just important in how you use it. And crows don’t have great history in that, a point you may have accidentally stumbled upon

Rankine first half was elite
Dawson 2nd half we very good

Taylor did a few nice things when he finally came on.
Dawson was tagged by Bedford in the 1st half. Rankin was tagged by him 2nd half. Rankin 22 possessions 1st half and 5 in the 2nd. Bedford's influence or did Rankin tire?

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kingsley letting Rankine run free is what cost GWS the game. Rankine was the difference.
It was highlighted on the coverage

Who is our driver out of the middle? Yes Rankine had that one game but mostly it has been Dawson

I think our last 3 losses have not been helped by Dawson getting tagged. So to continue the tag was good thinking

Having someone try to run with Rankine was , as we saw, a bad idea

Going back to coverage it was highlighted Bedford was on Dawson for the 1st half but shifted to Rankine after half time

2 things- it didnt matter Rankine is that good but it also let Dawson free who lifted his numbers

Did someone link the bf board on Facebook or something? The happy clappers are out in force today.

I’ll make sure to enjoy the ‘we beat gws in june for our 5th win of the season premiership cup’ while nothing has changed at the club and we are going to continue to be mediocre until sweeping changes happen starting with the coach.

Sure you can enjoy the win, but you need to look at the bigger picture otherwise the FB comments section might be more suitable for you.
Maybe Nicks has changed, he did play Taylor in the midfield (mind you it was in the last quarter lol).

Maybe Nicks has changed, he did play Taylor in the midfield (mind you it was in the last quarter lol).
Look to his credit, the fact that Taylor received multiple CBAs in the last quarter was a refreshing surprise. Next time just don’t make him the sub or at least bring him in earlier.

Still want to see Dowling get some, but he was mostly moved to the wing for resets and attended the around the ground stoppages so it’s an improvement over starting in the forward pocket.

Which brings me to... we seem to be doing some very different things in the center square now. I noticed last night we added two of our mids would stay right back away from the circle at the bounces and luckily they manned up on us where we were and so we were able to get proactive over them. Not that I could pick much pattern other than these weird starting positions (we are normally much closer under the ruckmen) but it seemed to work, so that's one for the they tried something new file.
Interesting observations, thanks.
When I watch the replay I'll look for them.

It was highlighted on the coverage

Who is our driver out of the middle? Yes Rankine had that one game but mostly it has been Dawson

I think our last 3 losses have not been helped by Dawson getting tagged. So to continue the tag was good thinking

Having someone try to run with Rankine was , as we saw, a bad idea

Going back to coverage it was highlighted Bedford was on Dawson for the 1st half but shifted to Rankine after half time

2 things- it didnt matter Rankine is that good but it also let Dawson free who lifted his numbers
My main point is that the damage was done in the first half.

After they put someone on Rankine they won the half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawson was tagged by Bedford in the 1st half. Rankin was tagged by him 2nd half. Rankin 22 possessions 1st half and 5 in the 2nd. Bedford's influence or did Rankin tire?

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think a bit of both, Rankine had a massive 1st half so not surprisingly he tired as the game went on.

Puts us in a good position though now we have 2 players the opposition need to try to tag. When one is being kept quiet the other one steps up.

Ugly: the sub rule, reckoned it ruined Grigg and Lyons for us, could nearly have done Berry in for us, let’s hope it doesn’t do Taylor in now.
The worst ****ing rule in the history of our sport, to have a perfectly fit player sit and watch the game and not be able to come on for fear of an injury or not be able to come back on once subbed is insane.
Ruined my cousin career at North too, Eddie McGuire on the footy show actually labelled him the super sub and said how good he was at sub, that North just didn't give full games. Incredibly unlucky he was at North when they were making prelim finals and was delisted just before they became forever shit. Worked out for him in the end as he's a pilot for Qantas now but it pisses him off seeing Murphy forge and AFL career.

Bizarrely we aren’t as far out of the top 8 as I thought we were.
Wait, what?
Currently 14th., we're 10 points and 16.4% away from 8th.
12 points and 17.2% from 7th.
If we didn’t have Brisbane, Geelong and Sydney all away I would still give us a tiny chance.
But, but ... we do have "Brisbane, Geelong and Sydney all away".
Sorry, maybe I missed something, but I don't see the point of "If we didn't have ..." speculation.
You don’t have to be a very good team to make the top 8 this season.
You don't have to be a "very good team" to make 7th or 8th, any year.
2016 was anomalous with only 2 wins between 1st and 7th (Bulldogs worst % of Top 7, Premiers). The Dogs played Finals out of their skins, but Sydney and Geelong were 2 games and 28+% better, after the Minor Rounds.

The "very good" teams finish Top 4.

Only saw the first 3 quarters but I think Hamill is underrated. He cracks in hard and his kicking is not a liability anymore. Did not deserve to be dropped earlier in the year. I'd give him another 2 years.
I never thought his kicking was ever a liability?
To me it was the head trauma

Except that the team is still very young, and getting some success for their efforts is incredibly important for their development.

Cheering for the side to fail so that we - what, start the rebuild again? So that everyone can finally get fired? So that those of us who were anti elements of the club are proven right?

I don't get it. These aren't empty wins. They're good wins for a developing team that's trying to grow and improve.
Peak wrongness.

To be fair the club has form with holding firm to losing hands to its own detriment.

Look at Burton and then look at the stuff with the camp, rather than admit there's a problem the club thinks that if they just bunker down and hold on long enough that it will all just magically fall into place.

I'm seeing the same mentality shining through with how the club is with Nicks.
Was that true of Sanderson, or Pyke?

I agree with the heart of what you're saying though - that we're conservative.

The high fives and backslapping in the box last night immediately after the win was telling....
IT WAS A WIN, FFS

They would have collectively worked hard on the victory, and trying to get the players back playing the kind of pressure football that WAS successful last year.

How do you expect them to react after a win? Disappointed that they're draft position might be affected?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back