Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Match repor still says crowd TBC . Is that unusual? Why hasn’t it been released? It definitely was sub 30k .

Good:
Berry starting the game in the centre and not on the bench
Zac Taylor making his debut, nice to see the #19 out there
Winning contested footy against GWS
Sometimes I feel like we don't deserve Rankine

Bad:
Zac Taylor making his debut, got Nicks'd of course but hopefully they give him a full game against Brisbane
ROB being the most meh ruckman
Cook back to the SANFL please

Ugly:
Who made the game plan "chip it around the backline" its the stupid looking thing on earth. I recall a game in 2010 against North where we went back and forth about 40 times across the ground, then we kicked 7.4 to 0.1 in the last quarter.

Rutten, Bock and Armstrong with mid 20's and 20+ uncontested possessions
161 marks!

He was never coming to us
I tend to agree

Given the rumours around how his manager apparently talked North out of trading his pick to us, I think the writing was on the wall with where he wanted to go.

Seems like his plan was going to serve out his initial contact and then ask to go to Port.

Good win by the boys but realistically GWS lost that game. I mean every week we have defensive play that costs us goal after goal. Tonight Aleer had about 5 goals kicked on him and they fumbled a few easy ones which we foaled from. Yes our goal kicking was off but think GWS was very poor.

The only excitement is watching the kids atm, liked the look of Taylor and Dowling, their run and Skills are so good to watch. Hope Taylor stays in the team until the end of the season as his skills set up some good play. Dowling is improving every game as well and hope he turns into a goal kicking midfielder. MM is getting better as well and become a good player already.
Please Nicks, play the kids for the rest of the season. Club has guaranteed you next year and this will fast track our improvement for next year. Don’t waste anymore games on people that will never improve and have shown little AFL talent

Down side is watching Murphy who shows no AFL qualities at all, Ming boggles to how he is a leader at the club.
Keane is a worry for me, he is great at intercepting and running off but is not good at defending. When you watch him play against an opponent, he doesn’t even jump to spoil. He lets them have a free run at the ball, that happened last night and let’s not get started on the Sunday game. Hopefully he’s just keeping that spot warm until Curtin is ready

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't even know what to make of that.

Great that we won I guess.

Ultimately hurts our draft position in a dead season, and makes it more likely we retain Nicks

Torn
Doubtful it makes any difference to our draft position. We're still 14th, and 1.5 wins behind the team in 13th.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope we have a few melts if we miss out on Draper this year because we’ve actually gone out there and won a few games and improved towards the end of the year. Anyone who can find a way to be negative with a win just really needs hand their memberships in, the worst sort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rachele is a frustrating player but if he can put it all together, he will be a star, big if!!! Does some flashy things and if he can improve the poor moments, look out

Agree. In some matches he is The Good, Bad and Ugly package.

I don't even know what to make of that.

Great that we won I guess.

Ultimately hurts our draft position in a dead season, and makes it more likely we retain Nicks

Torn
Not sure why people keep bringing up Nicks.

He's obviously getting another year, while they make changes and try to fix the assistants and support staff.

It doesn't really matter whether FIVEaa callers disagree - obviously the club feels he's improved the results every year for four years and this year isn't clearly enough due to him.

Crowd was extremely light, so bad that I don't even remember the last time at a game they didn't announce the crowd number during the last quarter. There were countless empty seats in my bay that are normally full with members. There was a gaping hole behind the paid actors posing as the GWS cheer squad.

Highlights:
The usual stuff, the kids are alright.
GWS banner (yeah that crowd really looks like 35k+ :$)

View attachment 2034421

Lowlights:

Winning pointless games potentially reducing our draft hand.
Realising Hamish is our recruiter so we'd probably mess up anything regardless.
Making Taylor the sub, **** off Nicks
Laird getting majority of CBAs
Nicks get a W so less pressure on him.
ROB apart from a brief moment of footballing in the second.
Himmelberg is just lazy, doesn't move no effort at all.
Murphy WTF.
Not playing some of the actual talented kids we have in the AFL and persisting with absolute potatos so plenty of players are anywhere from 10-30 games behind in their development.
Normally I would rip into the crowd for the absolutely pathetic atmosphere, it was so quite you could hear conversations all around the ground for huge portions of the game, but who cares there was nothing to play for and the crowd was sub 30k.

I stopped at ‘winning pointless games’… absolute cringe

People are sick of losing when it matters, and watching us "click" when it doesn't.
Except that the team is still very young, and getting some success for their efforts is incredibly important for their development.

Cheering for the side to fail so that we - what, start the rebuild again? So that everyone can finally get fired? So that those of us who were anti elements of the club are proven right?

I don't get it. These aren't empty wins. They're good wins for a developing team that's trying to grow and improve.

Crowd was extremely light, so bad that I don't even remember the last time at a game they didn't announce the crowd number during the last quarter. There were countless empty seats in my bay that are normally full with members. There was a gaping hole behind the paid actors posing as the GWS cheer squad.

Highlights:
The usual stuff, the kids are alright.
GWS banner (yeah that crowd really looks like 35k+ :$)

View attachment 2034421

Lowlights:

Winning pointless games potentially reducing our draft hand.
Realising Hamish is our recruiter so we'd probably mess up anything regardless.
Making Taylor the sub, **** off Nicks
Laird getting majority of CBAs
Nicks get a W so less pressure on him.
ROB apart from a brief moment of footballing in the second.
Himmelberg is just lazy, doesn't move no effort at all.
Murphy WTF.
Not playing some of the actual talented kids we have in the AFL and persisting with absolute potatos so plenty of players are anywhere from 10-30 games behind in their development.
Normally I would rip into the crowd for the absolutely pathetic atmosphere, it was so quite you could hear conversations all around the ground for huge portions of the game, but who cares there was nothing to play for and the crowd was sub 30k.
I feel embarrassed reading this.

The Hilarious:
The supporters giving ROB the Bronx cheer every time he took a mark. This was very evident in the audio on the TV, though it went unmentioned by the commentators.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I thought ROB broke even with Briggs on the night, which was better than I feared.

Except that the team is still very young, and getting some success for their efforts is incredibly important for their development.

Cheering for the side to fail so that we - what, start the rebuild again? So that everyone can finally get fired? So that those of us who were anti elements of the club are proven right?

I don't get it. These aren't empty wins. They're good wins for a developing team that's trying to grow and improve.
I think people feel that Nicks isn't able to coach at the level to be successful.
And the club being conservative wont make decisions to improve the club even when we are mediocre.

A win here and there makes it feel like we are just prolonging the inevitable.

Not sure why people keep bringing up Nicks.

He's obviously getting another year, while they make changes and try to fix the assistants and support staff

It doesn't really matter whether FIVEaa callers disagree - obviously the club feels he's improved the results every year for four years and this year isn't clearly enough due to him.

To be fair the club has form with holding firm to losing hands to its own detriment.

Look at Burton and then look at the stuff with the camp, rather than admit there's a problem the club thinks that if they just bunker down and hold on long enough that it will all just magically fall into place.

I'm seeing the same mentality shining through with how the club is with Nicks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back