Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely. The team needs to learn to win. That culture is more of more important than draft picks. One good player versus a winning culture? No contest.
Did you believe this when we won 3 late games in 2020 or any of the other times we won dead rubbers?

North got a lot out of beating Gold Coast and missing out on Harley Reid
I actually think winning tonight with more younger guys in central roles is good for us fwiw

If Dowling, Taylor, Curtin etc can gain some experience and bank some wins, great.

If Smith, Murphy, McHenry, Jones, Laird, ROB bank a token win or two then meh

I actually think winning tonight with more younger guys in central roles is good for us fwiw

If Dowling, Taylor, Curtin etc can gain some experience and bank some wins, great.

Bingo. When we’re actually showing initiative in our development and prioritising opportunities for youth the result becomes less relevant. The main reason the result was so relevant thus far was that we didn’t prioritise development.

I don't even know what to make of that.

Great that we won I guess.

Ultimately hurts our draft position in a dead season, and makes it more likely we retain Nicks

Torn

Thanks Tom.

Yep but the issue is some wins are going to paper over the shitshow of this year and Nicks will stick around for at least another year

Soligo ended up with 17 disposals when playing only 65% TOG.

Yep. If that ends up being what a "bad" game from him looks like he'll be an absolute star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamill has been a pleasant surprise this season. Really thought he was done with all the concussions.

Sholl having his best season and doesn't seem to be running out of steam like previous campaigns. I still have my doubts about him standing up in high intensity games vs good teams but he's contributing every week.

Butts having a good season. Really seemed to be labouring physically the last two years but is now moving well.

ROB hallelujah. Played the worst first quarter and 5 minutes I've perhaps ever seen but after Briggs gifted Toby Greene a goal on a platter at the start of the 2nd quarter he pulled his finger out. Clunked some grabs, handballed off every time instead of pretending he can kick, didn't get ragdolled in the ruck like it was an SANFL game and didn't get involved in link up handball chains. Was 1000% better

Yep but the issue is some wins are going to paper over the shitshow of this year and Nicks will stick around for at least another year
It's a given that Nicks is coaching beyond this year. Injuries, bad luck, tough draw - we've already had the script read to us. An assistant coach ranks spruce up and away we go

It is hard to cheer for wins when our season is over with 2 months to go. There is some optimism for the future but I do think our experienced guys are carrying us, when they were injured we fell apart.

+
Berry - best game for the club in two years
Dowling - Hung out to dry again on the wing but at least he's playing and going well
Rankine - jet
Dawson - jet, tagged every week and fights through it. Lets Rankine do whatever he wants.
Max - solid, stay back for now
Hinge - solid
Fog - Putting together a nice 2 months
Taylor - just give him a run of games

-
Soligo, no impact for a while and nowhere near early season form. Low tog again. Does he need a spell?
Cook - not involved enough again which means his work rate/fitness is not good enough.
Murphy - nicks ur an idiot
Laird - I don't think he was bad but season is over now, whats the point of giving him all the mid clock when we have Dowling waiting there.

I wonder how much ground Cook is covering during a game?

All his touches are quality, just cannot get into the games

Seems to find the footy okay up on the wing but barely sees it up forward. Working hard but going to the wrong spots? Or not getting to enough contests / spills or presenting enough?

ABC said 29802

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That would be our lowest crowd for a long time & they were giving away free tickets for kids!

It is hard to cheer for wins when our season is over with 2 months to go. There is some optimism for the future but I do think our experienced guys are carrying us, when they were injured we fell apart.

+
Berry - best game for the club in two years
Dowling - Hung out to dry again on the wing but at least he's playing and going well
Rankine - jet
Dawson - jet, tagged every week and fights through it. Lets Rankine do whatever he wants.
Max - solid, stay back for now
Hinge - solid
Fog - Putting together a nice 2 months
Taylor - just give him a run of games

-
Soligo, no impact for a while and nowhere near early season form. Low tog again. Does he need a spell?
Cook - not involved enough again which means his work rate/fitness is not good enough.
Murphy - nicks ur an idiot
Laird - I don't think he was bad but season is over now, whats the point of giving him all the mid clock when we have Dowling waiting there.
The only experience player who has been good for the season was Crouch before he got injured. Walker and Laird both had very poor season and then there's ROB and Smith lol.

I have zero enjoyment watching late season wins and seeing our draft pick worsen.

Yes we are good enough. But not with the idiot in charge holding us back.

Remember when north beat West Coast and lost out on Harley Reid? We're doing the same thing right now just on a smaller scale
It would only matter if we win another 3 or 4. That ain't happening. We're getting pick 4 or 5 regardless, probably won't change because of tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R16: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back