Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane: Back to the Future

Will Lachlan Murphy be dropped after half his disposals were turnovers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For clarity, and not just directed at you old mate, but do fans attending games actually GENUINELY hope we lose rather than put on a relatively promising display like last weekend? If so, I do find it hard to relate to with the exception of a last round type game (Kangas stupidly beating GC).

And for fans bragging about giving up season tickets and/or not attending games, I just don’t get it. You are some of the most fanatical Crows fans out there and spend a decent chunk of your life posting about all things Crows on BF. Then brag about not attending or giving up season tickets. Everyone is made differently I suppose..
I went to the Sydney game and hoped we lose.

I passed up a ticket to the GWS game as I hoped we lose.

I can see past a couple of good wins because I know Nicks is a dud, we are going to miss finals even if we finish strong because he’s a dud. Even when he changed our gameplan and it failed he took no ownership, it was buzz words like shape and he blamed the players.

He was dragged kicking and screaming to pick Dowling and Taylor and they’ve both shown they can play.

He does stupid shit like sub Nank for an out of form Smith.

So yes, I’d prefer we lose as it would force change and we might actually get a decent coach who we can go somewhere with.

I can see past a couple of good wins because I know Nicks is a dud, we are going to miss finals even if we finish strong because he’s a dud. Even when he changed our gameplan and it failed he took no ownership, it was buzz words like shape and he blamed the players.

He was dragged kicking and screaming to pick Dowling and Taylor and they’ve both shown they can play.

So yes, I’d prefer we lose as it would force change and we might actually get a decent coach who we can go somewhere with.
Wont happen till end of next year at the earliest, if we scrap our way to 9-10 wins next year won't even happen then
We are stuck with him I'm afraid

Ok thanks for the honesty even if I can’t relate. You are assuming the Crows Execs will base his retention on winning a few of these games though? We don’t know all the facts here.

Surely you want us to beat Port Power though? Can you possibly tolerate that one win (even if a goal after the siren Dawson-style)? :)

Wont happen till end of next year at the earliest, if we scrap our way to 9-10 wins next year won't even happen then
We are stuck with him I'm afraid
Had we lost to Giants, thumped by Lions and won 1-2 more games for the year with some beltings, then they would have to move on him. Some more 29k crowds and panic mode would set in.

Ok thanks for the honesty even if I can’t relate. You are assuming the Crows Execs will base his retention on winning a few of these games though? We don’t know all the facts here.

Surely you want us to beat Port Power though? Can you possibly tolerate that one win (even if a goal after the siren Dawson-style)? :)
See my other post.

Yes Port would be the one win.

But can’t relate, I’m assuming you like Nicks, if you didn’t, would you not do what it takes to move him on for a chance at long term success?

Are you one of those fans that rewatches multiple times our good quarters whilst fast forwarding the rest
Not usually, no, but since 2017 I've been starved of quarters like that.
I loved that second quarter on Saturday night with Rankine starring.
normally crap losing efforts (eg stopping the 2017 GF before half time)
I've never watched the replay of the 2017GF.
This is more than enough and still makes me sick/angry:

Like I do haha (helps aid happy clapping)
I'm far from a happy clapper, mate.
I'm more unhappy about the Crows' last 7 years than I've ever been previously, well, since Shaw. While I'm at it, this is funny:
"However, during the 2004 season, the club with Ayres found themselves struggling again where Adelaide sat twelfth on the ladder with four wins and nine losses after Round 13, 2004. When told he would not continue as senior coach for the 2005 season, Ayres quit midseason.".
We were 0-4 and 4-8-1 @ Round 13 in 15th spot.
Nicks extended for 2 years after Round 1. Fmd.

See my other post.

Yes Port would be the one win.

But can’t relate, I’m assuming you like Nicks, if you didn’t, would you not do what it takes to move him on for a chance at long term success?
I would replace Nicks if there was a standout candidate this year. Not with another newbie coach.

At the end of last season Nicks was seen to be extracting good results from a young and inexperienced team with few star players. Players were clearly playing for him and we were undoubtedly unlucky to miss finals as discussed many times. Rebuild tracking nicely.

This year the team - many individual players like Walker (logically), Rachele, Pedlar, Jones and the “deplorables” like Smith and Murphy who were much better last year. plus many injuries AND Nicks have regressed. I do rate Nicks as having a poor season. He has made clear mistakes on selection and game plan as you may possibly know ;-)

We have again lost many close games (4 under a goal IIRC) and had a much worse injury run with one stat showing 7-8 of our best players out when we lost a chunk of games. And elite or structurally important players like Rankine, TT, Worrell, Murray, Milera and others. Combined with a declining Tex and we are 3 ish games short of expectations.

In summary, he hasn’t lost the players and the only one real shocker was Tigers game and Hawks not much better (but I predicted Hawks would win after seeing them vs Power). Likely to last until mid next season and I am ok with that unless we get an exceptional candidate instead.

Did you miss that embarrassing simple drop mark which indirectly resulted in a goal?
When, please? I'd say every player on the ground made at least ONE mistake.
Murphy had eight.
Think there was another stupid play he did which resulted in another goal?
I dunno.
So, you "think" he made another stupid play? :confusedv1: That doesn't mean he did.

I don't have to think about ROB's game. I watched it. He was very good in the second quarter; a strong component of the 7-goal run.
All up, 2 kicks 6 handballs, 4 marks (before being dropped he had a run of 4 games with 2 marks, total), 34 hit-outs and 5 tackles. I'll take it.

I had been very critical of ROB and wanted him dropped well before he was.
Now he's back, I'm being fair, here. Did he star? No, but credit where/when due for the GWS game.

Not usually, no, but since 2017 I've been starved of quarters like that.
I loved that second quarter on Saturday night with Rankine starring.

I've never watched the replay of the 2017GF.
This is more than enough and still makes me sick/angry:

I'm far from a happy clapper, mate.
I'm more unhappy about the Crows' last 7 years than I've ever been previously, well, since Shaw. While I'm at it, this is funny:
"However, during the 2004 season, the club with Ayres found themselves struggling again where Adelaide sat twelfth on the ladder with four wins and nine losses after Round 13, 2004. When told he would not continue as senior coach for the 2005 season, Ayres quit midseason.".
We were 0-4 and 4-8-1 @ Round 13 in 15th spot.
Nicks extended for 2 years after Round 1. Fmd.

Yeah the happy clapper was me taking the piss out of myself mate for clarity. Agreed after having a pretty successful first 30 years always contending every 5-6 years, it’s been a hard slog since 2017..

Was at the GF and said to some mates attending at the time (a rare Kangas fan and Pies fan) we were being robbed at half time and they laughed it off. I showed them this Free Kick Richmond video a few mths later though and they changed their tune.

Still nothing like the criminally umpired 2016 GF. Swans bent over big time and I was hoping they would lose but the most blatant cheating I have ever seen in a big game

When, please? I'd say every player on the ground made at least ONE mistake.
Murphy had eight.

I dunno.
So, you "think" he made another stupid play? :confusedv1: That doesn't mean he did.

I don't have to think about ROB's game. I watched it. He was very good in the second quarter; a strong component of the 7-goal run.
All up, 2 kicks 6 handballs, 4 marks (before being dropped he had a run of 4 games with 2 marks, total), 34 hit-outs and 5 tackles. I'll take it.

I had been very critical of ROB and wanted him dropped well before he was.
Now he's back, I'm being fair, here. Did he star? No, but credit where/when due for the GWS game.
I'm sure it was towards the end of the 2nd quarter and that's why Murphy is shit but that clanger was even worst than any of Murphy's clanger this year lol.

That kick to Murphy - chefs kiss.

Rankine the only other one in the squad that has the deft touch to pull that off.
Geezuz… Tex and Fog say “hi”..

Both have incredible touch when it comes to putting the footy in the right spots for team mates inside 50..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would replace Nicks if there was a standout candidate this year. Not with another newbie coach.

At the end of last season Nicks was seen to be extracting good results from a young and inexperienced team with few star players. Players were clearly playing for him and we were undoubtedly unlucky to miss finals as discussed many times. Rebuild tracking nicely.

This year the team - many individual players like Walker (logically), Rachele, Pedlar, Jones and the “deplorables” like Smith and Murphy who were much better last year. plus many injuries AND Nicks have regressed. I do rate Nicks as having a poor season. He has made clear mistakes on selection and game plan as you may possibly know ;-)

We have again lost many close games (4 under a goal IIRC) and had a much worse injury run with one stat showing 7-8 of our best players out when we lost a chunk of games. And elite or structurally important players like Rankine, TT, Worrell, Murray, Milera and others. Combined with a declining Tex and we are 3 ish games short of expectations.

In summary, he hasn’t lost the players and the only one real shocker was Tigers game and Hawks not much better (but I predicted Hawks would win after seeing them vs Power). Likely to last until mid next season and I am ok with that unless we get an exceptional candidate instead.
Last year we had low injuries, an extra home game, the highest scoring team, Tex with a freak year, an easy draw and still didn’t make the finals.

This year he changed our game plan, was slow to fix the midfield mix he defended, has been poor at selection, we’ve seen players regress and he’s laid out the excuses and not once has he reflected on his own coaching. That says a lot about his character, he’s a dodgy used car salesman who tries to charm people so he doesn’t get criticised and picked
on his bullshit.

Why not an unproven coach when we have a proven dud? That makes no sense. You wouldn’t take Cox, no pun intended. Make Bucks an offer he can’t refuse.

Was at the GF and said to some mates attending at the time (a rare Kangas fan and Pies fan) we were being robbed at half time and they laughed it off.
All good.
I said to a mate at 1/2 time we were gonna lose, because of
1) the blatant frees ignored, and
2) the look of the Crows in the rooms at half-time, their lack of energy, their body language, their lack of talking to each other. At 1/2 time, they looked like a team at full-time that had lost a GF by 8 goals :sadv1:.
Still nothing like the criminally umpired 2016 GF. Swans bent over big time and I was hoping they would lose but the most blatant cheating I have ever seen in a big game

I didn't care who won the 2016GF. I rarely do if the Crows are out, but I watch the GFs for the good footy on display.
2016 and 2017 were the years of Two Fairy Tales; great for the VFL/AFL.

Last year we had low injuries, an extra home game, the highest scoring team, Tex with a freak year, an easy draw and still didn’t make the finals.

This year he changed our game plan, was slow to fix the midfield mix he defended, has been poor at selection, we’ve seen players regress and he’s laid out the excuses and not once has he reflected on his own coaching. That says a lot about his character, he’s a dodgy used car salesman who tries to charm people so he doesn’t get criticised and picked
on his bullshit.

Why not an unproven coach when we have a proven dud? That makes no sense. You wouldn’t take Cox, no pun intended. Make Bucks an offer he can’t refuse.
Yes agree about Buckley. Not sure many of us would know enough about Assistants to properly comment on their likely success. Perhaps they improve things, perhaps they don’t.

Agree with most of what you said above and happy to leave it here (although must point out we had one of the hardest draws statistically last year inc the only team playing 3 top 4 teams twice. Lots of posters saying recently we played 4 easy games vs Kangas and Eagles but that was the prior year). Double up games against teams finishing First, Second, Third and Seventh, now that’s being rogered.

Adelaide, while also expected over summer to have had a less onerous path, have found themselves with the second-toughest fixture (246 wins and four draws) under the accumulative wins method. This is because, in part, they have met Greater Western Sydney twice, with the Giants having a better season than many expected.

Last edited:
For clarity, and not just directed at you old mate, but do fans attending games actually GENUINELY hope we lose rather than put on a relatively promising display like last weekend? If so, I do find it hard to relate to with the exception of a last round type game (Kangas stupidly beating GC).

And for fans bragging about giving up season tickets and/or not attending games, I just don’t get it. You are some of the most fanatical Crows fans out there and spend a decent chunk of your life posting about all things Crows on BF. Then brag about not attending or giving up season tickets. Everyone is made differently I suppose..
Speaking for myself, i watched the GWS game on the weekend wanting us to play well but not feeling that invested in the result as finals are off the table and we wamt a top end draft pick. So had we won or lost it didn't phase me. Earlier in the year i was getting very pissed off at the losses as i felt far more invested in the season then. Will i still go to games, sure will but i am more focused on how the youngsters go

Speaking for myself, i watched the GWS game on the weekend wanting us to play well but not feeling that invested in the result as finals are off the table and we wamt a top end draft pick. So had we won or lost it didn't phase me. Earlier in the year i was getting very pissed off at the losses as i felt far more invested in the season then. Will i still go to games, sure will but i am more focused on how the youngsters go

Same here. Feel asleep in the third on the couch, no passion for the contest since the Hawthorn game (that I attended 🤦🏻‍♂️). Usually screaming at the TV, frightening the dog.

There is absolutely NO guarantee the coach we get is any better. In fact, the stocks are so limited, the odds of getting a premiership coach are pretty low.

So, do we then surround him with quality assistants, and someone like a Balme to oversee? I'd be happier with that (given we know they just re-signed him for two yearsand very unlikely to change that up) than keeping the same structure we have now. I just can't see them sacking him now. He has managed to do "some" good things. If we could get it all together, and improve on the drafting/trading front, it could all fall into place (think Dimmer) or it might not. Either way, I'd like to enjoy the wins I can. Actively wanting us to lose is nuts. Just fills you with negativity and shitness.

There is absolutely NO guarantee the coach we get is any better. In fact, the stocks are so limited, the odds of getting a premiership coach are pretty low.

So, do we then surround him with quality assistants, and someone like a Balme to oversee? I'd be happier with that (given we know they just re-signed him for two yearsand very unlikely to change that up) than keeping the same structure we have now. I just can't see them sacking him now. He has managed to do "some" good things. If we could get it all together, and improve on the drafting/trading front, it could all fall into place (think Dimmer) or it might not. Either way, I'd like to enjoy the wins I can. Actively wanting us to lose is nuts. Just fills you with negativity and shitness.
You can’t just keep a shit coach because you might not get anyone better, in that world no one changes coaches, Collingwood sticks with Buckley and don’t get McRae.

I’ve just listed a bunch of errors and that’s just this year.

My interest in the Crows is to win a flag, I want them making decisions that helps with that. I’ve seen and enjoyed plenty of wins in the 26 years, don’t need more of meaningless minor round wins, I want a flag and making finals would be a good start. Winning games at the back end of a shit season which paper over the cracks don’t help achieve that. Each to their own though, you like meaningless wins, I don’t think that’s nuts, just as accepting losses hoping for change isn’t nuts.

Is it ok to want us to lose to St Kilda next week though?

Asking for a friend and purely for draft pick purposes.

There are always premiership coaches coming through.

You dont stick with a failure because you cant see the forest for the trees
So, do we then surround him with quality assistants, and someone like a Balme to oversee?
Nicks had quality assistants and we finished 1 kick from finals (2023)

Not sure Nicks would (internally) appreciate a Balme - he seems wedded to Kelly

My thought process is we get rid of Nicks - tighten our assistant groups and appoint someone Balme can mentor as long as he can.

Its the same process as yours but without Nicks
I'd be happier with that (given we know they just re-signed him for two yearsand very unlikely to change that up) than keeping the same structure we have now. I just can't see them sacking him now. He has managed to do "some" good things. If we could get it all together, and improve on the drafting/trading front, it could all fall into place (think Dimmer) or it might not.
This sounds more like hope than any thing. Just on Hardwick - he at least had previous finals appearances to be judged on

I can always see the benefits to not winning but I would never actively seek losses. I can tip against us because I see the opposition as being better than us - but I still hold out hope we can find a way to win

I can no longer attend games as an aggressive cataract has meant my enjoyment is limited to guessing who kicked that cracker of a goal. I have friends who enjoy the football as much as I do - so they get to go

Before he was dropped, ROB was not playing effectively. His kicking was very poor, his tapwork misdirected; his marking almost non-existent and the criticism was justified.

You're right. Strachan was absolutely monstered, especially vs Richmond.
The ROB we saw against GWS was the effective ROB of better years.
Some of his ruckwork against GWS was Gawn-or-Grundy-like. He hit several direct taps to Rankine's advantage and it looks like the ROB-Rankine relationship is blooming. ROB also brought Berry more into the game.
ROB also kicked well, only 2 but resulting in 2 direct Goal Assists and he handballed off to runners around him quickly and effectively. He even laid 5 tackles :thumbsu:.
I thought he played well on Saturday; strong impact :smilev1:.
He may have had a couple of moments (that kick to Tex and a couple of marks) but overall had 8 touches and was beaten by a middle of the road ruckman. Might have finally found players with a couple of taps but also allowed Briggs to look like Simon Madden with his tap work at times.

I don't mind the Berg/TT ruck combo idea - although not this week, would want TT to have more games under his belt before he even gives a chop out in the ruck. Berg is out the door end of season so not fussed if we destroy him over the last part of the season. At least have a look what a more mobile ruck set up would look like for the future. Days of the 8 possession ruckman should've been over years ago.

Is that the same Puopolo that averaged 2 more disposals than Stephen Milne and one less than Cyril? Honestly, being good at providing defensive function does not mean that a players primary goal is to provide defence. I suppose Cyril was a defensive forward too.

What are you rambling on about old fella?

Milne kicked 575 goals in his career (#45 all time). Cyril kicked 275 goals in 189 games.

Puopolo kicked 185 goals from 196 games. He wasn't in that side to kick goals.

No mention of Costagna, McReery, Close, Switkowski, Fogarty, Chandler?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R17: Changes vs. Brisbane: Back to the Future

Back