Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Dowling I'm not sure about. What are his strengths? Have an a few signs so happy to give him time.

Work rate, size, winning first possession, get to the ball on the outside, can create scores. Unlikely many on our list he has AFL attributes. Decision making needs to be a little quicker sometimes, hopefully that comes in time as he gets used to the speed of the game.

Like Dawson we are throwing him around non stop. Mid, Wing, and in previous weeks HF and HB. He is a far better prospect than Berry and Shoenberg. It was a rough day for him, gave away 5 frees but also set up a few goals and lead the team for contested touches. He must be given every opportunity for the ROS.

They do play different roles. With Worrell out Hinge is playing as a third tall, while Smith is a running half back. Personally I would be playing Hinge on the wing or even in the middle I rate him that high. But honestly, to suggest someone’s off day is because his team mate played well is just letting your dislike color your views.

BTW Pendlebury, Boak, Zorko, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Ward….
Noticed a difference in the quality of the football they are playing?

For balance you should also add the older players who play too long and their form drops, Smiths in that category. Did you see his lack of poise today?

The problem with this sort of loss though is that the club can spin it that we were 'close' and 'gallant'...

There just won't be enough pressure on Nicks
Look, just face it. THERE IS NO PRESSURE ON NICKS. They just signed him for two years! Unless we get flogged by 10+ goals every single week until the end of the season, Nicks will STILL be our coach next year. This carry on you all are bleating is useless. The team is there and there abouts. Not good enough to beat a rampant Lions team on their home turf, but only lose by less than two goals. This is NOT a sackable offence.

If Nicks continues to not develop the kids, then his head WILL be on the chopping block if we find ourselves in a similar position next year. He will only have himself to blame.

In the mean time, don’t waste your twisted knickers on something that just ain’t happening.

Ugly, the furore over a nothing incident

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1166226

Is Izak Rankine in trouble?
Izak Rankine is sure to come under scrutiny from the Match Review Officer following a first-quarter incident with Brandon Starcevich. As Rankine darted forward ahead of the play as a stoppage was being set on the wing, Starcevich chased while watching the play. In the meantime, Rankine had stopped in his tracks, just in time for the Lions defender to run straight into the Crow's braced shoulder, well off the ball. Both left the field and after Starcevich failed a Head Injury Assessment, he was replaced by substitute Logan Morris.
Starcevich was watching the play? the flip?

I imagine the world of professional fighting has set up long-term precedents where the fighters accept the risk.

The AFL has not and should not. The AFLPA wouldn't allow them and they shouldn't.

In any event, there is a marked difference between a sport where the objective is literally to knock your opponent out, and a ball sport where the objective is to kick the ball between the sticks.
The aim of fighting is literall to punch someone in the head or severely injure someone to win.

I don't think the example is comparable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did manage to get a good spray in on a team mate for anticipating he would be on the move, rather than handballing to him while he stood still for the stat receive though.
Yep

Don't his team mates realise by now that he doesn't need to be on the move to slam it on the boot as soon as he gets it?

If Smith has 3-4 "good" years left (good defined as last few years' output) we're ****ed
I’m honestly baffled by the Smith hate that has emerged in the last 18 months. Judging by your profile, you have obviously been around footy for a while, so honestly, explain it to me. I think everyone would agree he has been a great player, so why last year, when he averaged more possessions than his career average, he laid more tackles than his career average, he took more marks than his career average and he averaged more rebound and inside 50’s than his career average did everyone suddenly decide he was no good. He was only 31 for gods sake.

I know we got close, but it never felt like we were ever in it as it seemed like Brisbane just cruised in 2nd gear for most of the game.

The thing that hits home every time I watch us play is just how horrendous our brand of footy is.

We put huge numbers around the ball, continually play wide and there never seems to be a lot of system as to how we move the ball.

There's no way that neutral supporters would be watching our games and getting excited about the brand of footy we're playing

It's Ross Lyon levels of ugly.....

I’m honestly baffled by the Smith hate that has emerged in the last 18 months. Judging by your profile, you have obviously been around footy for a while, so honestly, explain it to me. I think everyone would agree he has been a great player, so why last year, when he averaged more possessions than his career average, he laid more tackles than his career average, he took more marks than his career average and he averaged more rebound and inside 50’s than his career average did everyone suddenly decide he was no good. He was only 31 for gods sake.
Nicks moved Smith to the wing and actually played some good footy, he would probably had finish in the top 5 B&F had he didn't stink it up for half a season at half back. Where was Smith playing early this season which saw him eventually get dropped a few weeks ago and where did Smith played again today????

Rankine out is not so bad... We can secure pick 4 with a loss ... Otherwise it might turn into pick 6. Next week is a good chance for the saints to beat us at Home which i think they haven't won in a while?

Noticed a difference in the quality of the football they are playing?

For balance you should also add the older players who play too long and their form drops, Smiths in that category. Did you see his lack of poise today?
I actually thought his and Walkers poise when the heat was on stood out. I don’t expect to be able to use stats and facts to sway those who have decided our whoes are Smith’s fault thought so whatever.

BTW you didn’t say there is plenty of players who have gone on too long, you said name me anyone 35 who is still good. I believe Smith will still be good in 3 years and his career stat line would support me.

I’m sorry, are you serious with that statement?
Are you implying that Jarrod Berry played crap because Neale was excellent?
Nankervis was good too. Maybe we should blame him for Hinges game.

BTW I have absolutely no idea why Hinge was subbed out as he wasn’t in our worst 8, but Smith and Hinge play very different games and Smith is only 32 years old. He probably has 3 to 4 good years in him so Hinge maybe needs to learn how to “play well” when Smith is also playing well.
Hinge was injured. Hobbled from ground at games end. Groin apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back