Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats don't really tell this story but gut feel was Brisbane had a heap of chances. The amount of times they made bad decisions going forward was comical at times. They have done it all year.

I thought we played well but didn't think Brisbane were at their best.

Brisbane had one of those irritating games where they kept wasting all their good chances, and then pulling goals out of their ass when they had no right to.

Bad: Fog arm chop. Dowling HTB. Andrews walking the ball out. Multiple ROB free kicks in ruck. Dawson getting done for illegal tackle on Ah Chee…

The worst one I saw was Dawson getting pushed (in the back) by a Brisbane player into daniher. Daniher wasnt hit high, in the back or front on by Dawson…. Daniher collapsed and got a free kick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I get why Brisbane fans would be pissed with the Rankine bump, but also that shit doesn't happen if they don't instigate it in the first place. The Lions are into him, bumping, scragging, just working him over (see Harris Andrews trying to take him out) from the get-go, but then they outraged when Rankine sees someone running at him and decides to get a shot in first. It's just unfortunate for both it resulted in a concussion.

But the talk that Rankine is a dirty sniper is just ridiculous.
That's what annoys me about the dialogue.

If they want to ban body contact to free a player who's being dragged up, they should also ban the scragging.

That's what annoys me about the dialogue.

If they want to ban body contact to free a player who's being dragged up, they should also ban the scragging.
I had to laugh at the commentators saying that Rankine caught him unawares.

Really? He's worn Rankine like a glove and scragged him non-stop, and didn't expect any body contact to come the other way? Is he an idiot?

I had to laugh at the commentators saying that Rankine caught him unawares.

Really? He's worn Rankine like a glove and scragged him non-stop, and didn't expect any body contact to come the other way? Is he an idiot?
We punish one player for another's lack of awareness

Tbh I think we would have won had Crouch, Knight, Lever, Wigg, Milera, Doedee, Gallucci, Poholke, McPherson, Jones, McHenry, McAsey, Schoenberg, Thilthorpe and Pedlar all played better.

Seriously, just think that of our first 2 draft picks from 2013-2020, only Fog was in the team. Some injuries yes, some have left, but farrrrrk.

We will not be a decent team until the damage of those years are all worked out if the system. You just cannot be a decent side if you **** up draft picks year after year after year.
I am constantly amazed at where people choose to lay the blame for us not being top 4. Pretty simple really.

Neale 36 touches 10 clearances and 3 goals vs Dawson 16 touches 2 clearances and 0 goals
Dunkley 35 touches 7 clearances and 1 goal vs Soligo 16 touches 5 clearances and 1 goal
Oscar 14 touches and 5 clearances vs ROB 8 touches and 0 clearances

Everywhere else on the ground we won today. We legitimately had 18 players who played their hearts out against last years grand finalists at their home deck and we nearly won and can hold their heads high. We are losing pure and simple because we haven’t drafted even close to a reasonable level with out first rounds for 12 years and we haven’t addressed the midfield in that time. Everything else is smoke, we simply don’t have the same level of A grade mids that every other team has, and that’s on our recruiting.

The worst one I saw was Dawson getting pushed (in the back) by a Brisbane player into daniher. Daniher wasnt hit high, in the back or front on by Dawson…. Daniher collapsed and got a free kick.

As well as the 2 “touched” kicks coming off mickelannys hands and rankines backs but paid marks and out on the full…

We punish one player for another's lack of awareness

I just can't fathom how that is weeks.

The Lions player is coming for him, so he braces and bumps him in the chest? Why does Rankine get the blame for it being a head clash, or the Lions player coming off second best?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions player is coming for him, so he braces and bumps him in the chest? Why does Rankine get the blame for it being a head clash, or the Lions player coming off second best?
You have a duty of care to protect the head of the guy who's repeatedly running into you

That's the frustrating part. Rankine is watching the play and Starcevich just starts sprinting at him with his back turned to the play, is Rankine just meant to cop that? Bump actually gets him in the chest, but unluckily the top of his head makes contact with Starcevich's chin and he comes off 2nd best.

Will probably get weeks, but Brisbane fans can **** off with their calls of 'sniper' etc.

I can explain this for you.

The AFL knows that it is one concussion lawsuit away from being sued out of existence, so they want to give the appearance of protecting the head, but they are too spineless to actually implement any rules preventing head injuries, such as simply banning bumps. So instead, they have set up a precedent which says "if you bump and the player ends up concussed for any reason whatsoever, you will be held liable." Essentially, they want the players themselves to just decide bumping isn't worth the risk, so the AFL doesn't have to take the actually courageous step of banning them.

So inevitably you end up in these situations where a player doesn't go looking for a bump, doesn't get the player high, and yet will end up suspended the same length of time that a coward punch will get you.

That's the frustrating part. Rankine is watching the play and Starcevich just starts sprinting at him with his back turned to the play, is Rankine just meant to cop that? Bump actually gets him in the chest, but unluckily the top of his head makes contact with Starcevich's chin and he comes off 2nd best.

Will probably get weeks, but Brisbane fans can **** off with their calls of 'sniper' etc.
Don’t they have a player called Zorko

Thank God we rushed Smith back in for 22 touches, avg 15 meters gained.

There wasn't any drop-off in Hinge's performance as a result either...

Was there?

Didn't predict we would - HOPED we would.
That’s absolutely gold. One of the best players for this club over the last 12 years has 6 more touches than our captain who played in the midfield, and you not not only call him out for playing badly but you are blaming him for others playing badly.

I get it, you don’t like him, but seriously, at least wait for him to have a bad game before teeing off.

So St Kilda somehow manage to knock off Sydney today. We're now a bottom four side despite having percentage over 100%, haha.

If we can manage to lose to St Kilda next week we should be able to lock away pick 4... but it seems only good sides can lose to them.
A loss to st Kilda is probably the best thing that could happen to us bar Hamish getting lost on the way to draft night and someone else having to take the pick.

Not Rankines fault the dumb **** instigated it and he blocked to defend himself
Or the fact the Dumbarse can’t brace his landing

Some would say him trying to go Steve baker on Rankine backfired and a small bit of karma

If he gets weeks then we’ll appeal and he’ll get off , use the “good bloke “ angle if needed the AFL set that precedent

I can explain this for you.

The AFL knows that it is one concussion lawsuit away from being sued out of existence, so they want to give the appearance of protecting the head, but they are too spineless to actually implement any rules preventing head injuries, such as simply banning bumps. So instead, they have set up a precedent which says "if you bump and the player ends up concussed for any reason whatsoever, you will be held liable." Essentially, they want the players themselves to just decide bumping isn't worth the risk, so the AFL doesn't have to take the actually courageous step of banning them.

So inevitably you end up in these situations where a player doesn't go looking for a bump, doesn't get the player high, and yet will end up suspended the same length of time that a coward punch will get you.
I simply don’t get this. How is boxing still in existence if someone who voluntarily takes the risk of playing a contact sport can “sue a sport out of existence”.
Pretty simple. Make players sign a risk waver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back