Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ugly, the furore over a nothing incident

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1166226

Is Izak Rankine in trouble?
Izak Rankine is sure to come under scrutiny from the Match Review Officer following a first-quarter incident with Brandon Starcevich. As Rankine darted forward ahead of the play as a stoppage was being set on the wing, Starcevich chased while watching the play. In the meantime, Rankine had stopped in his tracks, just in time for the Lions defender to run straight into the Crow's braced shoulder, well off the ball. Both left the field and after Starcevich failed a Head Injury Assessment, he was replaced by substitute Logan Morris.

That’s absolutely gold. One of the best players for this club over the last 12 years has 6 more touches than our captain who played in the midfield, and you not not only call him out for playing badly but you are blaming him for others playing badly.

I get it, you don’t like him, but seriously, at least wait for him to have a bad game before teeing off.

Smith was one of my favourite players for the better part of a decade.

You don't think there is any connection between Hinge having his best game with Smith out, and then pretty average upon his return?

Getting real sick of how selfish Laird is, he's a senior player who's never held a leadership position and constantly yelling at younger player for not giving him the ball when he's one of the worst kicks in the team.

Can not understand why he wouldn't put his hand up to tag Neale (the best player in the game) and sacrifice his game for the good of the team because he has elite fitness and good at tackling, instead a young kid and then Murphy.

After the first 10 possession and 2 goals wouldn't you as player think hey maybe I'll take one for the team here and match up on Neale?

Izak Rankine is sure to come under scrutiny from the Match Review Officer following a first-quarter incident with Brandon Starcevich. As Rankine darted forward ahead of the play as a stoppage was being set on the wing, Starcevich chased while watching the play. In the meantime, Rankine had stopped in his tracks, just in time for the Lions defender to run straight into the Crow's braced shoulder, well off the ball. Both left the field and after Starcevich failed a Head Injury Assessment, he was replaced by substitute Logan Morris.
Should have subbed out Rankine with concussion 😜

Not Rankines fault the dumb **** instigated it and he blocked to defend himself
Or the fact the Dumbarse can’t brace his landing

Some would say him trying to go Steve baker on Rankine backfired and a small bit of karma

If he gets weeks then we’ll appeal and he’ll get off , use the “good bloke “ angle if needed the AFL set that precedent
You can punch someone off the ball these days but a bump with accidental head contact is a hanging offence

Getting real sick of how selfish Laird is, he's a senior player who's never held a leadership position and constantly yelling at younger player for not giving him the ball when he's one of the worst kicks in the team.

Can not understand why he wouldn't put his hand up to tag Neale (the best player in the game) and sacrifice his game for the good of the team because he has elite fitness and good at tackling, instead a young kid and then Murphy.

After the first 10 possession and 2 goals wouldn't you as player think hey maybe I'll take one for the team here and match up on Neale?
Berry seems like the obvious choice for a tagger, to me

I can explain this for you.

The AFL knows that it is one concussion lawsuit away from being sued out of existence, so they want to give the appearance of protecting the head, but they are too spineless to actually implement any rules preventing head injuries, such as simply banning bumps. So instead, they have set up a precedent which says "if you bump and the player ends up concussed for any reason whatsoever, you will be held liable." Essentially, they want the players themselves to just decide bumping isn't worth the risk, so the AFL doesn't have to take the actually courageous step of banning them.

So inevitably you end up in these situations where a player doesn't go looking for a bump, doesn't get the player high, and yet will end up suspended the same length of time that a coward punch will get you.
Genuine question. Given the AFL has flick-passed the ‘liability’ of concussion bumps to the player, does this mean that a player may also be liable to lawsuit if and when it does eventuate ?

They somehow miss the fact that Starcevich split Rankine open

I just can't fathom how that is weeks.

The Lions player is coming for him, so he braces and bumps him in the chest? Why does Rankine get the blame for it being a head clash, or the Lions player coming off second best?
The brace action is seen as a bump, from then on he is responsible for the outcome.

Stupid, but that is the AFL.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Smith was one of my favourite players for the better part of a decade.

You don't think there is any connection between Hinge having his best game with Smith out, and then pretty average upon his return?
I’m sorry, are you serious with that statement?
Are you implying that Jarrod Berry played crap because Neale was excellent?
Nankervis was good too. Maybe we should blame him for Hinges game.

BTW I have absolutely no idea why Hinge was subbed out as he wasn’t in our worst 8, but Smith and Hinge play very different games and Smith is only 32 years old. He probably has 3 to 4 good years in him so Hinge maybe needs to learn how to “play well” when Smith is also playing well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sorry, are you serious with that statement?
Are you implying that Jarrod Berry played crap because Neale was excellent?
Nankervis was good too. Maybe we should blame him for Hinges game.

BTW I have absolutely no idea why Hinge was subbed out as he wasn’t in our worst 8, but Smith and Hinge play very different games and Smith is only 32 years old. He probably has 3 to 4 good years in him so Hinge maybe needs to learn how to “play well” when Smith is also playing well.

3-4 good years in him?! 🤣

How many 35-36 year Olds are there in the league?

And they don't play different roles, throwing out irrelevant comparisons doesn't invalid my point.

If Rankine didn't brace for impact, he would have been out concussed or worse for weeks.

It is ****ed you can't protect your own body anymore without risking a suspension.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Weird take.

Rankine took him out and will get weeks.

The question is, why aren’t his team mates helping Ranks break the tag.

Genuine question. Given the AFL has flick-passed the ‘liability’ of concussion bumps to the player, does this mean that a player may also be liable to lawsuit if and when it does eventuate ?

I can only imagine that being the case if it was something genuinely thuggish, Barry Hall style.
I simply don’t get this. How is boxing still in existence if someone who voluntarily takes the risk of playing a contact sport can “sue a sport out of existence”.
Pretty simple. Make players sign a risk waver.

It wouldn't be the sport they'd be suing. It would be their place of work - the AFL. And the AFL has a duty of care to their employees.

Boxers are individuals. They could sue their management, they could even try to sue the organisations they fight for, but it would be a pretty hard case to win.

Yes, the AFL could ask the players to sign a piece of paper that says "you assume all risk for playing in the comp", but (a) the AFLPA would rightly tell them to get stuffed, and (b) I'm guessing such a clause could be deemed unlawful anyway.

The fact is, we should be doing everything possible to prevent head injuries. The AFL should be outlawing any and all actions that come with significant risk to the head. Yes, that includes letting players put a knee in the back of someone's head when they take a spectacular mark. Yes, that includes tackling players in such a way that they can't protect their head. And yes, that includes bumping players into the turf. Those actions should all be banned. Yes, people will complain. The old-timers on commentary will lament the sport has gone soft, and some fans will switch off. That's why it takes courage to make that sort of decision.

The AFL has shown themselves to be as craven as it gets. They will make tiny, ineffective little rule tweaks, while inconsistently applying their own rules and occasionally making an example out of someone. What they won't do is take any concrete steps to protect the head.

Last edited:
3-4 good years in him?! 🤣

How many 35-36 year Olds are there in the league?

And they don't play different roles, throwing out irrelevant comparisons doesn't invalid my point.
They do play different roles. With Worrell out Hinge is playing as a third tall, while Smith is a running half back. Personally I would be playing Hinge on the wing or even in the middle I rate him that high. But honestly, to suggest someone’s off day is because his team mate played well is just letting your dislike color your views.

BTW Pendlebury, Boak, Zorko, Hawkins, Dangerfield, Ward….

Lost to Andrews and Payne once again. They must love playing us.

Umpires ****ing shit. What was that crap?

Thought we played decent footy, but broke down a bit going forward as usual against Brisbane.

Not sure what we were doing with Dawson in that game. Our starting midfield should be Dawson, Soligo and Rankine.

Good:
Keane. Can't let this guy go.

Nankervis good first half. Think he'll be in our top 10 players next year. Gun.

Soligo and Rankine good when they got it. Just didn't get it enough.

Keays our only good forward. Says something.

Michalaney good defensive role.

Bad:

Berry and laird in the midfield. Berry doesn't have the same power he's shown in the past, and doesn't have enough weapons to justify his spot.

Murphy as per usual. First half was so crap.

Murray rusty

O'Brien nothing

Rachele quiet, but some quality touches.

New guys:

Dowling I'm not sure about. What are his strengths? Have an a few signs so happy to give him time.

Taylor hard to tell when you give him 1qtr. Didn't do his chances any favours from his limited time. I really like the guy, but you guys give him more of a chance.

Not Rankines fault the dumb **** instigated it and he blocked to defend himself
Or the fact the Dumbarse can’t brace his landing

Some would say him trying to go Steve baker on Rankine backfired and a small bit of karma

If he gets weeks then we’ll appeal and he’ll get off , use the “good bloke “ angle if needed the AFL set that precedent
Media seem to be appealing for a 3-4 week suspension. Unbelievable

I can only imagine that being the case if it was something genuinely thuggish, Barry Hall style.

It wouldn't be the sport they'd be suing. It would be their place of work - the AFL. And the AFL has a duty of care to their employees.

Boxers are individuals. They could sue their management, they could even try to sue the organisations they fight for, but it would be a pretty hard case to win.

Yes, the AFL could ask the players to sign a piece of paper that says "you assume all risk for playing in the comp", but (a) the AFLPA would rightly tell them to get stuffed, and (b) I'm guessing such a clause could be deemed unlawful anyway.
Surely though if a boxer gets injured in a contest that is organised by the WBO then they could sue them if such a thing was possible. It’s a genuine question btw, because I have a cousin who is a KC who says there is no chance of a lawsuit being successful if players have acknowledged that they’ve understood and accepted the risk.

My personal view is that the AFL is so invested in KPI’s that reflect reflect market share and TV rights money, that they are using this to try and sway the “soccer mums”.

Dowling I'm not sure about. What are his strengths? Have an a few signs so happy to give him time.

Dowling's strengths aren't something you can easily point at, such as athletic traits or anything like that. It's mostly just that he gets into good spots and makes quick decisions.

He's no superstar but he's okay. Good enough to play in our side right now, anyway.

Surely though if a boxer gets injured in a contest that is organised by the WBO then they could sue them if such a thing was possible. It’s a genuine question btw, because I have a cousin who is a KC who says there is no chance of a lawsuit being successful if players have acknowledged that they’ve understood and accepted the risk.

My personal view is that the AFL is so invested in KPI’s that reflect reflect market share and TV rights money, that they are using this to try and sway the “soccer mums”.

I imagine the world of professional fighting has set up long-term precedents where the fighters accept the risk.

The AFL has not and should not. The AFLPA wouldn't allow them and they shouldn't.

In any event, there is a marked difference between a sport where the objective is literally to knock your opponent out, and a ball sport where the objective is to kick the ball between the sticks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back