Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how sometimes they will blow the whistle immediately to claim it was held or no prior, and others times they will leave it a fraction longer so they can claim they had an opportunity.
The rules have made it a complete shitshow.
There are 4 umps out there, often with different interpretations, so what's paid up one of the ground has no bearing at the other... and that was before the recent rule changes where some have adjusted, and others have chosen to completely ignore them. Not to mention... ahem, some apparent bias with a number of the maggots.

It's a shitshow of the AFL's making... but apparently the Supreme Leader said last week the umpiring has never been so good! :madv1: :confusedv1:

jenny61_99 , I am not alone ...

Interesting considering we spent most of the game playing extremely attacking. The only time we didn't was the start of the 1st and 3rd which were our worst periods of play. Clearly the players were trying to do what nicks wanted and then said stuff it
This!!
+
Laird said it was their plan going into the game and straight up admitted it failed miserably.

This is what I keep saying about Nicks. The man has bad instincts. When he has time to make a plan, what he conjures up always fails because his philosophy on footy is shit.
No flair or boldness, no imagination, no sign that he gets the nuances of game tempo.

That was one of the best, if not THE best, end-to-end goals I've seen the Crows produce. Ever.
Reminded me of the best of the Crows 2005/06 and 2017.
It was beautiful footy.
Great overlapping run by Hinge after kicking out, terrific delivery to Fog, elite finish!
That's one play where I would have loved to have been at the ground to see it develop, or at least see a full down the ground replay... I reckon Fog probably worked his ass off for that option on the long lead (that Hinge honored with the centimetre perfect long pass), plus the rest that followed.

It was a thing of beauty, all orchestrated by basically just two players (and a little cameo by Butts).

Keays is everything they've been pretending Murphy is.

Elite workrate, elite pressure, scoreboard impact.

He has really worked on his selfishness in having low % pings and as a result he either scores a goal or gets it to someone who does.

Murphy has to go.

Ugly:

The HTB rule is completely ruined. I've watched this game my whole life and generally had a good feel for when/why they were paying HTB. Now I'm just flipping a coin.
I introduced an American young man to footy at his first game last night.

While describing various rules on & off, I told him for all intents and purposes it's random if a tackle will win you a free.

It's just easier to describe and quite accurate I feel. Ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commentators who tried to get Keays suspended... sucked in
Particularly BT... biased Vic-centric w***er!

How about he concentrate on actually calling the right players for once.

There are 4 umps out there, often with different interpretations, so what's paid up one of the ground has no bearing at the other... and that was before the recent rule changes where some have adjusted, and others have chosen to completely ignore them. Not to mention... ahem, some apparent bias with a number of the maggots.

It's a shitshow of the AFL's making... but apparently the Supreme Leader said last week the umpiring has never been so good! :madv1: :confusedv1:
I thought the previous people in charge were complete d!ckhe@ds. This new lot are utterly incompetent though.

No suspension for Keays. Good. Why was it a free kick, when Berry copped a near identical tackle.

And how did all four umpires miss the head high free for Dawson.

Happy neither incident copped a suspension, but the poor umpiring across these three actions is atrocious.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Finally some common sense.
Although no look at the Berry sling tackle? Didn't worry about it given the commentators ignored it?
Should have been a free. Exact same action as Keays.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rachele played tough for most of the night and was doing the team thing, just missed a couple of attacking moments, but his overall game was far better than many are saying. He is not a soft player. He’s clearly playing sore and just cannot physically take it on all the time.

Think Rachele is doing fine and just get him to work on his defensive aspects.

We finally along with Rankine have two half forward flankers that regularly hit the scoreboard each match.

He even said that they felt uncomfortable with how high scoring it was

On its own its a valid statement and one each coach wants to manage but its a little bit at odds with what we saw last year when we were deemed the 4th best scoring team and had a 116%

Yes its a high attrition game because there is speed speed speed but we have a weapon in Burgess who has built us for that game

We saw what quick ball movement does with the CTC goal in 15 seconds. Essendon had tongues hanging out chasing . We saw clear air in front of goal for Fog to kick at

Some grounds are meant to be played at high speed and Marvel is one - no weather impacting bodies or legs and the ball.

Thought we were the no 1 best scoring team last year.

Think Rachele is doing fine and just get him to work on his defensive aspects.

We finally along with Rankine have two half forward flankers that regularly hit the scoreboard each match.
3 - you forgot Keays.

Now the selectors just need to forget about Murphy & just rotate the extra midfielder though.

Have to give credit to ROB, Essendon came in with 2 genuine ruckmen and he destroyed both of them in the last quarter. Himmelberg and Thilthorpe combined for 2 hitouts, ROB was enormous.
I’m going to have to watch again but I think destroyed them is going over the top.
He nearly (and should have) had a goal kicked on him in the first few minutes of the last.
He also nearly lost us the game by kickstarting their run on in the third.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back