Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this is our thread but **** me I love that the Vic media was frothing over Essendon being a Top 4 side for half the year (and during the 3rd quarter tonight) and at the moment they're 3 results away from being out of the 8 at the end of the weekend.

Their % is below 100, that in itself tells you everything you need to know.

good:
the fight shown and desire to play out the season
impact of the kids
fogarty playing his guts out
keays not only this week, but to get 30+ goals out of him this season is phenomenal
the defence adapting to 2 key backs down and refusing to quit

bad:
himmelberg's hands
blind brodie
mediocre murphy

ugly:
umpiring
muz's knee

Ben McKay is a great lesson in why you shouldn't hand over an enormous contract for a free agent just because you can

Must be the most overpaid player in the league and handed a rival a top 3 pick.

Was terrible and Scott tried to hide him on Himmelberg
Had a very nice goal assist in the second. It was to Keays admittedly but it was clean as a whistle.

Its been a truly frustrating season, we were filled with such optimism coming into it only to see it disappear in 4 rounds. Now with a chance of getting pick 4 and finally selecting an elite mid, we start winning. Not only are we winning but we're doing it with what I consider the framework for our next premiership tilt. Its the youngsters who are turning this season, if only they were trusted sooner.
I reckon this is everybody

We see echoes of a great team and most of us know what is holding us back - or at least think we do - but the one thing we have been adamant about is infusing the team with new talent

Yes they will be inconsistent at times , yes they will make mistakes but yes they will win games like tonight with enthusiasm and dare

I just hope we can finish off the year with most of this group right now

Reckon with his experience and hard gut running we should at least be expecting between 30 and 40 goals a season from him.. especially given how many joe the goose goals he gets..
Thats fair enough - I think 30+ is a fair target

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win but sheesh rewatch the last 30 seconds and you’ll see why we don’t win close games under nicks.

They had about 3 clear cut opportunities to win, letting Merrett waltz out of the square is criminal
Nicks picked a team he thought was capable of beating Essendon. He did his job tonight. I’m not sure how he shuffled that back line around, but Essendon should have been too tall for us. Nick’s deserves credit for that game surely!

Keays’ game might be one of the single best individual performances I’ve seen for this club

Fog pretty close behind him too

What a game
Im reminded of Darel Harts game all those years ago and Gerard Healy saying '' he will never do that again ''

He was right but Darel was happy

Keays had the best game of his life… absolutely mammoth.

Only taken him over a hundred to finally get there mind you..

Lets see if his current form can continue before we get too excited.
Imagine how good McHenry will be after 100 games! You should be advocating for him. Next Dusty.

Kidding, kidding

Nicks picked a team he thought was capable of beating Essendon. He did his job tonight. I’m not sure how he shuffled that back line around, but Essendon should have been too tall for us. Nick’s deserves credit for that game surely!
Especially with Bombers playing two rucks and being able to throw Draper forward as an extra tall. Thought that was gonna do us in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back