Preview R21: Changes vs. Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't go as far to say the team is Dog Shit....
We have definitely under performed due to a number of reason such as gameplay and selecting out of form players.
Considering we were the no1 scoring team last year (Tex had an outstanding season) we should be closer to the top 8 then bottom 8.
We are definitely missing a few pieces to a premiership such as an elite mid to get us into the top 4 calculations and winning the premiership.
On one hand you say we are selecting out of form players, then complain about us not giving a top ten pick more games.

You know how that sounds right.

I could imagine Curtin wandering off after 2 minutes of the 'midfield craft skills' session.

Nicks: Hey Dan where are you going?

Curtin: I've got it Mathew.

Nicks: But you only practiced our midfield craft for two minutes.

Curtin: Its not that hard Mathew, we all remain stationary, preferably 1m apart.
Handball to each other until it gets to Lairdy and he kicks a high one over his shoulder or we mix it up and handbll to ROB who takes two steps and shanks it forward.
The other answer to the bolded question to nicks would be

Curtin: To the bench Matthew, you only give me a couple of minutes on the field and then hook me

The handling of Curtin by our coaches has been terrible.

To Hamish's credit he brought in a very unique player who is quality.

Then the coaches stuff up his first year.

It highlights how our coaching staff lack any type of innovation or creativity.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the one issue with posters like you, Scorpus, is that nothing will ever be good enough, you'll find a way to be outraged or disappointed. If he makes way for another player this week then the club isn't developing him, if he plays but underperforms it's the clubs problems with development. It's just a cycle of the same repetitive circular negativity where you'll never be happy, no matter the outcome.
If only there was some objective way to determine whether our club achieves positive or negative results.

If you want to read more positive opinions on your football club, you might need to switch to a better one.

The handling of Curtin by our coaches has been terrible.

To Hamish's credit he brought in a very unique player who is quality.

Then the coaches stuff up his first year.

It highlights how our coaching staff lack any type of innovation or creativity.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or responsibility towards the future of the club.

Looking forward to seeing Worrell back in at least. His intercept marking was really coming along nicely before his injury.
The Worrell & Max intercept show was working a treat earlier in the season.

"So plays fairly well in the midfield in the SANFL and auto inclusion in the seniors eh?"

Murphy plays shit every week and is an automatic selection. Stop pretending there's any selection integrity with nicks.
Smith too.

We just keep playing non-performing senior guys, when an inexperienced youngster couldn't be worse, but at least should have upside.

To be fair, there's not a single coach in the AFL who wouldn't drop Curtin to make way for Dawson.

I get the point you're making - and it's valid for Smith/Ryan and Murphy, and there are other players who should be dropped (instead of Curtin) to make way for Dawson. But taken as an individual selection, Dawson for Curtin is an absolute no-brainer.
It was also a no brainer to bring Curtin in to the starting 22 for Dawson last week but that didn't happen.

IN- Dawson, Murray, Worrel, Hammill
Out- Himmelberg, Borlase, Jones, Murphy
Cook Sub
LOL yeah......like that's ever going to happen. He has put in sub par performance after sub par performance, averaged under 10 possessions for weeks now and had almost no impact and his name is not even in the conversation to be dropped. We keep hoping every week but most of us are now just badly burnt on it to even bother suggesting it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL yeah......like that's ever going to happen. He has put in sub par performance after sub par performance, averaged under 10 possessions for weeks now and had almost no impact and his name is not even in the conversation to be dropped. We keep hoping every week but most of us are now just badly burnt on it to even bother suggesting it now.
Murphy is like a burn-in OLED screen.... it never goes away even when you turn the dam screen off!!!

Heading over to Melbourne tomorrow for the weekend (he is a massive Blues supporter) - have tix to the Carlton vs Collingwood game. We talked about heading down to Geelong to catch some of the game… nah… we laughed at ourselves (esp after sitting through last Sundays game against the Hawks 🥴) and have decided to head to Crown for drinks, a platter and watch it there

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Doesn't seem to harm some of the other top 10 picks from last year:-

Reid 16 games
McKercher 12 games
Duursma 11 games
Watson 12 games
Windsor 18 games

Top 20 draft picks - games played

Comparing Curtin to his cohort, excluding injuries and over 201cm players, his games played still seems low for a team sitting 15th

1 Reid 16
2 McKercher 12
3 Walter 12
4 Duursma 11
5 Watson 12
6 Sanders 14
7 Windsor 19
8 Curtin 3 subs
9 Read 4 202cm 92kg
10 Caddy 6
11 O'Sullivan 1 breaking in as KPD in Geelong
12 Gothard 0 glandular fever