Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

Solid win, and more importantly, Saints won which made it a free hit. However, it's hard to take too much out of that one seeing the season is dead.

Main highlights were:
Fog getting 5 in game 100.
Thilthorpes multi-goal game streak extends to 5.
Keays and Rash got another multi-goal game.
Worrell held up against one of the form key forwards in the competition

And most importantly: Curtin gets 2 goals. Tough season for the kid and this one gives him a bit to take out it.

Ah, the non-statistical role. Lets cool the jets here, Curtin barely got 7 touches in his time in the midfield (he picked up another 4 once he switched to the forward line) despite considerable minutes. He's nowhere near ready for it, and would be nowhere near the top 10 in the rising star, let alone contending had we started him as a midfielder since round one.

He may be that player in the future, and there is a lot of upside in his profile. He's not that in the present.
This was literally his 1st full game. He had 2 goals, set up another, couple of big grabs, good disposal, 5 marks, 7 contested possessions. Pretty good I'd say.

People aren't seriously going down the Nicks didn't have the players at the start of the year path.....

I dont think its as black and white as that.

My money is the players were very frustrated on playing this negative defense first slow possession counter attack football. Nicks clearly tried to create a flick the switch and all out attack mode in the final quarters. This all blew up as it put players off side, they didnt know what to do.

The Brisbane and Port games are where he changed up the plan. He had to and the players have responded. But we play entirely different to what we did in the first 5 games of the season. Its chalk and cheese. Since that 1-5 start, weve had injuries and still walked away with a 7w 7L 1D.

So Nicks completely screwed our season. No question. Thats unforgivable really. If we applied everything from the start wed likely be around the 10 win mark for the season and we could have genuinely said Injuries hurt us. What killed our season was the 1-5 start. That is what derailed the season before injuries were even a thing.

It was a very good win but are the returning posters ignoring they kicked 9.18, we were smashed in inside 50s and we lost clearances despite dominating the hit outs?

Thankfully 2 weeks in a row our excellent forward line were deadly when we got the ball in there.
6 goals from centre square bounces, even Bevo was impressed. For a team that got smashed strange that Bevo mentioned he'd struggle to find a play that won their spot?

Good
Keane kicking in - he’s prepared to take attacking options and was great in the air as well today.
Max - rock solid a grader game
Rankine early
ROB - credit where it’s due
TT - looks confident
Fog - dominant
Curtin - composed, creative
Rachele - good attack again
Berry getting to ball first, and fighting through traffic, a lot of damage with not many touches
Our mids generally matched ibettered theirs
Defence was very good too
Becoming clear to everyone, surely, that we can get by without Laird and Smith

Bad
Berry fumbling again
Dogs goal kicking
Umps- I liked the interpretation better today, but we got a bit of a ride

Ugly
Not much!

Last edited:
He was much calmer and more composed than usual.
Big difference when Worrell & Murray are back in the side.

Worrell, Max & Hinge are very good at patrolling across HB.

6 goals from centre square bounces, even Bevo was impressed. For a team that got smashed strange that Bevo mentioned he'd struggle to find a play that won their spot?
That was very good, but you’ve got to admit we were smashed for inside 50s and had they kicked straight we would have more than likely lost and against a team that not many players won their spot….

It was a similar situation to last week except Geelong kicked better than Bulldogs

If it’s always Nick’s fault when we lose then it has to be down to Nicks when we win.
You can’t say it’s the players when we win and Nicks when we lose. You just look like an illogical idiot. I’m sure you’re not. But your position makes no sense at all.
Part of the coach's job is getting consistency out of the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone seen the Wabbit from up north around these parts tonight?

Sneaking Elmer Fudd GIF by Looney Tunes

Ugly: Nicks specifically named Murphy as one of the dangerous players we have up forward. Wut.
How much more proof do we need that he he is not very smart...

Why is Nicks so reluctant to give Curtin praise? It's always with a caveat, or a backhanded compliment. Just say the kid had a good game. He played his role in the middle, and kicked two goals when put up forward. It was his first full game.
It appears Nix is only keen to praise players who should be dropped.

He certainly knows how to say the wrong things about our younger players.

Last edited:
I really liked what I saw from Berry. Really developing into a valuable player.

He does some good things but I am not so sure. His skills let him down a bit and when we don’t have the ball he struggles.

I think he will be an good player and best 22 but I don't think he is a top 3 midfielder in a quality team.

Hope I am wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back