Preview Rd 5 - Carlton v Fremantle 6:45PM Friday 27th April @ Subiaco - Team post #423

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was said last week that the MC havn't set a foot wrong so far this year, and they hadn't, until now IMHO.

With 3 injuries already equaling 3 automatic omissions, I don't see the necessity for making a further two changes. We could have kept Bower and McLean in this week and, should their poor form have continued this week, they could have made way for another two players against GWS - a game I think we are certainties to win. That gives us an extra week to settle a team with 5 changes.

Making 5 changes to a team who, bar last week, was in very good form, dangerously flirts with our form and can unsettle the team balance.

Not so confident in this game anymore.

I reckon SUB: Walker.

Look at it this way. 3 changes were forced on us. Armfield after a week off, comes in for McLean who only played a week so hardly a loss of cohesion there.

So it is really Thornton for Bower. Given they would both only play a third man role in defence and Thornton is equally adept in this role as Bower is, albeit Thornton is stronger one on one and with his marking and Bower has more run, but Thornton's hands make him more of an asset up forward. It has been painful watching Jamo and Bower running around absolutely clueless up forward when we needed to mix things up the past couple of weeks.

Henderson, Waite and Thornton are all tall swingmen. Many contingencies there.

Is this the same mob that threw a game the week before we played them a few years back to get an unfair advantage? It was one of the Freagles. Pretty sure it was the purple ones.

One the sub.... pretty sure it'll be Russell. Zero chance it'll be Walker.

:)

Whilst the midfield battle will be important, I think our FWD line/their DEF will be where the game is won or lost.

In terms of match ups,

McPharlin - Waite (even contest there)
Broughton - Betts (could be another even contest)
Dawson - Hampson (this looks like a massive win for us, if Kosi could dominate Dawson last week, Hampson should kick 6 by that logic :p )
McPhee - Walker (Walker will probably start slow, but could kick away near the end)

Basically that leaves Ibbotson/Mzungu/Johnson/Duffield to take Garlett/Robinson. TBH I think we have a massive advantage here. If would somehow isolate Waite at FF on Dawson for a bit of the game, Waite could kick a bag of goals. I expect McPharlin to follow him around all night though, so its Hammer Time baby :thumbsu:

Agree, it's time Hammer put his stamp on the game at this level. (He had an ordinary game last week, like many others) He's been in the system now for several years, and must show us what he's made of. He's a 6' 8" tower of man, who has had trouble holding his marks, but he's now had corrective eye surgery, there's no excuses, he must do better. I'd like him to do a "Tippett" for us and kick a bag. Maybe McPharlin or Dawson (who I don't rate) will probably play on him, and I am expecting him to haved a good night at the offiice tomorrow night?

Just to follow on from my post before, I thought I'd give a go at all the match ups for the game, let me know what you think: (T)=Tag

F - Betts Hampson Walker
B - Broughton Dawson McPhee

HF - Robinson Waite Garlett
HB - Johnson McPharlin Duffield

C - Simpson Gibbs(T) Armfield(T)
C - Mzungu Fyfe Hill

HB - Tuohy Henderson Scotland
HF - Neale Mayne deBoar

B- Thornton Jamison Joseph
F- Clarke Pavlich Ballantyne

R - Kreuzer Judd Murphy
R- Griffen Mundy Crowley(T)

Bench - Dugian, Curnow, Lucas, Russell(S)
Bench - Pearce, Anthony, Barlow, Ibbotson(S)

Anyway, they should be grateful they're hosting a great club like Carlton. We'll draw the crowds, and boost their TV ratings enormously. Our club should be charging an appearance fee.

:)
You did, back when we entered, we paid about $4mill from memory. The move of Souths to Sydney and then the introduction of Adelaide and WC saved the VFL from going broke. Freo only exists to have a game every week at Subi, not every 2nd week. We are owned by the WAFC who also own the Weagles. Imagine if you were owned and ultimately managed by the same people who appointed the people who ran Collingwood?

But back on topic - anyone know which of your emergencies flew over? Is Bower a chance for a late call-up?

Just to follow on from my post before, I thought I'd give a go at all the match ups for the game, let me know what you think: (T)=Tag

F - Betts Hampson Walker
B - Broughton Dawson McPhee

HF - Robinson Waite Garlett
HB - Johnson McPharlin Duffield

C - Simpson Gibbs(T) Armfield(T)
C - Mzungu Fyfe Hill

HB - Tuohy Henderson Scotland
HF - Neale Mayne deBoar

B- Thornton Jamison Joseph
F- Clarke Pavlich Ballantyne

R - Kreuzer Judd Murphy
R- Griffen Mundy Crowley(T)

Bench - Dugian, Curnow, Lucas, Russell(S)
Bench - Pearce, Anthony, Barlow, Ibbotson(S)
After reading this post ... suddenly I have a craving for choc-mint ice cream ... good one!

You did, back when we entered, we paid about $4mill from memory. The move of Souths to Sydney and then the introduction of Adelaide and WC saved the VFL from going broke. Freo only exists to have a game every week at Subi, not every 2nd week. We are owned by the WAFC who also own the Weagles. Imagine if you were owned and ultimately managed by the same people who appointed the people who ran Collingwood?

But back on topic - anyone know which of your emergencies flew over? Is Bower a chance for a late call-up?

Who the **** are Souths? :eek::eek:

Purple is a secondary colour

Blue is a primary

Go Blues !

good night

Ba-dum-tsh. :D:thumbsu:

I love Curnow, but if he is even a little sore or has a little niggle, I hope they don't hesitate to bring Ellard in.

Rapped that Tripod and 2Pak are both in full effect for the first time in 2012. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The move of Souths to Sydney and then the introduction of Adelaide and WC saved the VFL from going broke.

Yeah because Sydney was such a lucrative market back then. Also the VFL going broke was a furphy. They would have just cut back the good faith transfer fees to SA and WA clubs or just let them stay home. Their product even without the interstate players was as good if not better than the SANFL and WAFL, they had a bigger population, stronger corporate support and more coverage. The VFL might not have been able to sustain the course it was on but let's not pretend they would have gone broke while the other state comps would have survived. It's a furphy.

I like the team this week. Re Ellard, already brought in 2 smalls in Army and AJ and with Curnow playing I think Davey would have tilted things a bit. Happy to have JR's big body in there. I still hope he is only one breakout performance away from hitting his straps and he needs first team footy to do it in. For that reason, and the absence of Yaz, I hope he starts.

Lucas as sub for mine. Best he has played was coming on as a sub vs Tigers and he hasn't played a full game since. Goes missing far too much and needs to harden up.

AJ to Frodo, Army to Hill. Gibbs in the guts. Walker to play half-forward/wing. T-Bird takes Laidler role, swings forward as well, but Jamo STAYS BACK FFS.

Blues win a tight low scoring tussle by a couple of kicks. MK to dominate.

if I have not mistaken, well back in the early 1900s we did help collingwood in some way to set up their club, I think I read that somewhere in the book "Out of the Blue"

if I have not mistaken, well back in the early 1900s we did help collingwood in some way to set up their club, I think I read that somewhere in the book "Out of the Blue"

We supported their entry into the VFA in the 1890s and offered to play them when nobody else would prior to their entry or something like that.

Re: Rd 5 - Carlton vs. Fremantle, 6:45PM, Friday 27th April - Team post #423@ Subiaco

AJ is lucky to get a game ahead of Ellard with Mclean out. Guess we have him earmarked for Frodo. I hope they both niggle the hell out of each other. :thumbsu: :D

Hopefully AJ will refrain from anything that could cause Frodo to fall over, would also be telling AJ not to use colourful language within earshot.

Look at it this way. 3 changes were forced on us. Armfield after a week off, comes in for McLean who only played a week so hardly a loss of cohesion there.

So it is really Thornton for Bower. Given they would both only play a third man role in defence and Thornton is equally adept in this role as Bower is, albeit Thornton is stronger one on one and with his marking and Bower has more run, but Thornton's hands make him more of an asset up forward. It has been painful watching Jamo and Bower running around absolutely clueless up forward when we needed to mix things up the past couple of weeks.

Henderson, Waite and Thornton are all tall swingmen. Many contingencies there.
Don't disagree whatsoever, as I think I think the changes needed to be made. But as I said, I'd have rathered that they were made next week and not in the same week where we lose 3 players to injury as well.

From a Freo perspective, see the matchup's a little differently.

Defence
McPharlin - Waite
Dawson - Hampson
McPhee - Betts (Towelled up Milne last week)
Ibbotson - Walker
Duffield - Garlett
Broughton - Robinson
Johnson - plays loose as the mop up man, depending on problem area's could interchange roles with any of the above having the ability to play tall or small.

Midfield
Judd - Crowley (only the 1 hard tag)
Really rate Murphy, i think we'll rotate plenty of players against him.
Who will you tag? Hill, Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow
Rest of our midfield consists of Pearce, Mzungu, Neale, Ballantyne

Forwards
We have DeBoer and Mayne who play forward but are great at nullifying rebounding defenders. Can see one of the two playing on Gibbs. Most likely Mayne. Who else leads your rebounding? can expect DeBoer to line up against them.
Who will take Anthony, Pavlich and Clarke? (our 3 prong tall forward line)
People criticize Jack but he kicked 2 goals against the Saints and dished off 1.

I reckon the only player we'll put a 'tag' on, in the true sense of the word, would be Hill.

Can tear a team to shreds if he's let loose but seems to often turn to shit when he's put under pressure.

I'd be amazed if Armfield wasn't in his pocket, from siren to siren. Tell Army to get into Hill's head and his job becomes easier.

AJ will likely play on Ballantyne.

I'd rotate players through Pav depending on where he lines up. If he's forward someone like Thornton could be sent to him, but when he moves into the middle I'd put Gibbs on him.

I reckon the only player we'll put a 'tag' on, in the true sense of the word, would be Hill.

Can tear a team to shreds if he's let loose but seems to often turn to shit when he's put under pressure.

I'd be amazed if Armfield wasn't in his pocket, from siren to siren. Tell Army to get into Hill's head and his job becomes easier.

AJ will likely play on Ballantyne.

I'd rotate players through Pav depending on where he lines up. If he's forward someone like Thornton could be sent to him, but when he moves into the middle I'd put Gibbs on him.

Will be interesting to see if Hill can work over his tag. He managed to shake Rhys Shaw against Sydney after a 2 possession first half. He outworked Clint Jones last week against the Saints to essentially deliver us the win. He couldn't shake Raines from Brisbane the week prior despite us winning the game.

His fitness is at an all time high. The kid is maturing, is Armfield a fitness freak?

people ask why do I hate Frodo?
Same way bluegal once asked me why do I hate fev?
What annoys me most about these 2 is their junior coaches never stamped out their behaviour. That their seniour coaches knowing their follies never stood up and stamped it out.
Both are/were pinhead human beings with skill Fev of course with heaps more (2 colemans prove that you purpool clowns)
As a jnr who had an attitude problem 1 coach god rest his soul took the time to lay down the law to me. I did not listen to him so he did the best think and cut me off never to return. Woke me up in many ways. Sorted me out for life.
Frodo and Fev are the same-both need the house of mirrors. Reckon good odds on me leaning over fence and telling him how much I like the bloke, was a tool in WAFL..nothing changed just more prestige. Frodo. will pay a visit to your street paving stone with pressure mounting

Flat Blues must swing the changes Robert Walls
Last year, the Blues beat a down-and-out Dockers outfit in Perth. A win tonight would be much more meritorious. But I don't think that will happen. Last Friday when the Dockers beat the Saints, I saw a resolve that has rarely been seen from a Fremantle side.
Flat Blues must swing the changes Robert Walls

We should win after Walls tipped Freo. :thumbsu: :D

Sandilands forced out for Carlton test
Walker hasn't played since injuring his quad during the pre-season, but Ratten backed the 25-year-old to make a solid impact upon his return.

''His running and what he's done through his rehab was more just about us giving him extra time,'' Ratten said yesterday.

''We were happy with his testing and the things that he's done. He's an elite runner of the competition, not just our football club, so we won't have any problems there.

''I think the players we've brought back in the team would be in our top six in running.'
Sandilands forced out for Carlton test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back