Autopsy Rd4 Roast & Toast vs Port Adelaide & Changes for St Kilda Rd5

Best vs Port Adelaide

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I keep banging on about it. It worked for a while, while we had the small forwards zipping around nailing tackles and crumbing goals but we don't have that anymore. Our pressure forwards barely tackle and they barely kick goals. With Lynch getting mobbed by defenders every time they drop it on his head it leaves Jack and part-timers like Dusty and Lambert to kick our goals. It needs a serious shake up. Has gone from a strength to a weakness.

The forward line will be ok
The usuals were garbage - Graham, Broad, Pickett and George. Our debutants were also trash. Port had injuries but we essentially played with 20. Umpires were disgraceful.

I dunno what was worse - the umpiring or this post.

Broad was close to BOG, nearly dragged us across the line.

Pickett did a lot of good things, with and without the ball in his hands

George & Graham were quiet but didn't cost us in the meantime.

Both the debutants, Aarts & even Lynch were far more obviously our weaker players tonight

I’m going to be blunt, you want to know what’s happened to Lynch? He’s constantly got two or three men on him, his constantly scragged, held, blocked off the ball, his arms are constantly chopped and when he does manage to get a one on one we’re too slow to get the ball to him, that’s what’s happened to Lynch.

He also takes the back too much, he needs to do more to get front position on his defender(s). Part of it is his own fault, but a lot of it is also not his own fault.
But even if he gets it odds are he will kick poorly or f it up.

Lynch is starting to piss me off big time. He is a thief the highest paid no contributor going around.
Why does he constantly play from behind??? His hand a like butter and can hardly mark the ball.
When Jack retires we are f’ed

He seemed very slow tonight.

A couple of times he chased Port defenders and they just waltzed away from him.

With all the noise about the new rule changes benefiting lead up forwards I'd expect Lynch to be getting a few.

In fairness to him, though, our delivery inside 50 really isn't doing him any favours.

I’m going to be blunt, you want to know what’s happened to Lynch? He’s constantly got two or three men on him, his constantly scragged, held, blocked off the ball, his arms are constantly chopped and when he does manage to get a one on one we’re too slow to get the ball to him, that’s what’s happened to Lynch.

He also takes the back too much, he needs to do more to get front position on his defender(s). Part of it is his own fault, but a lot of it is also not his own fault.

A lot of it is a part of the game plan and maintaining forward territory. Lynch at his best covers 15kms and get up and down the ground as a lead up forward. The way we play means he is often fighting for scraps and sitting under the high ball. In saying that he took 7 contested marks in the two games prior to tonight so claims of him not marking it are well off the mark.

Edwards has been very subpar this season so far

Was good the first two games, average last week and very poor tonight. Reckon Boak had 4 centre clearances whilst Edwards was his opponent and he was in general very unaccountable. Didn't help we didn't get first usage once all night.

Jones was awful. Don't know what game you or the commentators were watching. Every time he touched it we got the ball back.

Sitting in the hole as the biggest guy in the vicinity? Thats not tough. Watch how many times he sh*t himself under pressure, or failed to pick the ball up cleanly and missed tackles. Comes good in finals and plays well round 1 but already at the stage where the midfield is getting smashed as result of him not being able to jump.
Dixon the biggest bloke on the ground so yes it does take courage,if you can't admit that fair enough,but it's wrong and can't jump but won the hit out count tonight.

Mansell looked alright, Martyn has a bit to learn but in saying that Ross not much better IMO. Aarts mostly stinky except for that goal.

I think we can afford to carry a ruck/forward hopefully CCJ as Balta and Astbury are more needed down back. Unfortunately, Stack a long was off as I could find him a place in the team when he was in form.

RCD for Ross makes sense to me. Not sure about Martyn would give him a second on the basis it’s bad to drop first gamers adjusting to the game.

There is no way Martyn could get another game. Had a taste and was miles off. Good experience now go learn your craft in the VFL.

Don't care what anyone says mrj has to come in
Aarts has been putrid , we need some spark up forward, how many times did the ball hit the ground when lynch and jack contested and their
We're no crumbers? And we desperately need the other rioli to get back to 2017 form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much better performance this week although we fell just short of pinching the win.

Positives:
Houli back added some much needed extra rebound from D50 and got us moving the ball a bit quicker.
Mansell looked comfortable on debut and should get another couple of games off of that. Martyn will learn from his game as well a little slow at times, but first game in a hostile environment won't hurt him at all, would be happy to see him go around again nest week.
Good to see Lambert and Bolton rebound after quiet games last week. Also happy to see Pickett move back to the wing where he looked much better.

Negatives:
While Jack and Lynch had 8 shots on goal our forward structure is still quite concerning. We're not getting the same sort of looks as some other big key forwards are getting. Need to make some adjustments to how we're bringing the ball in if we're going to make the most of the time when we're dominating possession.
Still don't like the usage of Astbury/Balta in the ruck. Hopefully CCJ is in shortly to give us another genuine ruck option who can also be useful around the ground and snare a goal or 2 when up forward. It may also help with the forward 50 structure.
We're desperately missing Vlastuin down back as that extra intercept defender

Changes:
Out - Aarts Martyn
In - CCJ KMac

B: Astbury Grimes Balta
HB: Short Houli Baker
C: Pickett Cotchin KMac
HF: Castagna Lambert Bolton
F: Lynch Martin Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Graham Edwards
INT: Broad Ross Mansell CCJ

Last edited:
I’m judging it from all our games. Two unconvincing wins against two sh*t sides, an absolute belting by a young side on our home deck and now tonight. It’s not going to get easier like last year.
we looked worse early last year. too early to judge mate. and as i said, tonight you cant read into it, we got robbed tonight. settle down. melt when we are doing shit mid year or later, as i will also melt if that happens too

First half was hard due to the fact that the umpires were doing everything they could for Port. four of their first six goals were from umpiring mistakes (frees and 50M). The third quarter was a disappointment for Port, as they lost the umpiring advantage and had to work for their goals. Thats why they struggled to score. The second half was more about the frees they "missed" for us... Won't happen in the finals..

Our debutants were not ready and cost us the game (outside Port's extra three players). Lynch is a liability. I'd rather have Richard Lounder at the moment. I hope Coleman-Jones is available. Houli was a welcomed return, Nank was great but needs backup, and Edwards was sublime.

Umpiring cost us the game - especially the first half, which the media will ignore (concentration of Port's injuries)... but we can't carry Lynch and Aarts next week.

Changes ;

Out - Lynch, Aarts, Mansell, Martyn
In - Coleman-Jones, Caddy, Collier-Dawkins, Chol

Only 3 players inside the top 10 for contested possies for the game
Would it kill us to find some blokes who could win a hard ball?
We will be f’ed when Cotch retires View attachment 1098394
That's what I've been saying for a while in the free agency thread we need a player like Dunkley a inside bull that can win footy & give it to guys like Martin or Bolton for the clearance, Prestia is injured every year in the H&A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back