News Review into racism at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I may have missed it, but has any other past Collingwood First Nation player made any comment previously; like Leon Davis?

I think the explicit note in the report that it excludes Lumumba's allegations and they require further investigation with his cooperation is rather telling in terms of the scope of the issues. It can't have just been about his situation with such damning outcomes and a note that his situation was basically excluded.

Last edited:

Wow, I thought I was reading the GameOn thread such is the nonsense being written.

Have I got this right? A couple of supporters are cancelling their memberships because a report that we commissioned, was leaked before we were ready to release it. Ok then, see ya later.

My take after watching the whole press conference was: the Club is totally determined to look forward, whilst acknowledging mistakes in the past, and put in place strategies, policies and committees to ensure that all stakeholders within and without have a voice and a place to go to have issues safely and respectfully heard.

As Eddie said in response to various questions we couldn't hear, we want to get this right going forward. We want to lead. Ed also said that Collingwood had already implemented (over the past six years) support for many groups within the Collingwood community, including indigenous ones.

Eddie admitted the Club had made mistakes. I'm not sure how many times he has to apologise for his Adam Goodes comments before people can move on. How long will you keep slagging him Dave and Chrispiesss?

I've been guilty in the past of telling racist jokes and of being a sexist buffoon. We learn and move on.

I thought everybody spoke well today. Jodie Sizer was very impressive. I guess 90% of the questions were directed at Eddie, and given some of his gaffes of recent years, it was inevitable a few would try for a gotcha moment. At one stage I thought I'd gone into the time machine and was watching Daniel Andrews trying to answer questions from Sophie, Peta and co.

It sounds and looks as if the Club is now on the front foot and will move to be a leader in race matters. I'm thankful for this. And yes, dare I say it, I was proud of my club today for standing up and doing the right thing.

Absolutely not 'leave it at that' maggie.
You feel threatened by this poster as he challenges your and the world view spawned from the liberal elite/university system.

Snake is not snarcking or trolling and has only provided valid views on confirmation bais/expert bias. He provides interesting insight please let him contribute hes just as worthy as any Collingwood supporters on this topic
I did not accuse him of being snarky nor trolling, perhaps you need to reread the posts and withdraw.

It seems we are not agreeing as I just don't see that because of one's background it necessarily means that their opinion may be biased especially having read the report. If you wish to continue the discussion, I am not stopping you.

Wow, I thought I was reading the GameOn thread such is the nonsense being written.

Have I got this right? A couple of supporters are cancelling their memberships because a report that we commissioned, was leaked before we were ready to release it. Ok then, see ya later.

My take after watching the whole press conference was: the Club is totally determined to look forward, whilst acknowledging mistakes in the past, and put in place strategies, policies and committees to ensure that all stakeholders within and without have a voice and a place to go to have issues safely and respectfully heard.

As Eddie said in response to various questions we couldn't hear, we want to get this right going forward. We want to lead. Ed also said that Collingwood had already implemented (over the past six years) support for many groups within the Collingwood community, including indigenous ones.

Eddie admitted the Club had made mistakes. I'm not sure how many times he has to apologise for his Adam Goodes comments before people can move on. How long will you keep slagging him Dave and Chrispiesss?

I've been guilty in the past of telling racist jokes and of being a sexist buffoon. We learn and move on.

I thought everybody spoke well today. Jodie Sizer was very impressive. I guess 90% of the questions were directed at Eddie, and given some of his gaffes of recent years, it was inevitable a few would try for a gotcha moment. At one stage I thought I'd gone into the time machine and was watching Daniel Andrews trying to answer questions from Sophie, Peta and co.

It sounds and looks as if the Club is now on the front foot and will move to be a leader in race matters. I'm thankful for this. And yes, dare I say it, I was proud of my club today for standing up and doing the right thing.
Given Eddie has been President for 22 years, presiding over a culture of systemic racism, do you think he should accept ultimate responsibility and step down now?

This has been a forgettable few months as a Collingwood supporter. That win against West Coast seems so long ago. All that elation replaced with disappointment, frustration and shame. I guess the silver lining in this is that it appears the club has made strides to put the house in order and make the necessary changes prior to this investigation. But I think we would benefit from quick and decisive action, leaning into the inevitability of change. There's no need for Maguire to see this year out. Its time to move on.
It is time, keen to see candidates that can take us forward.

I think its more symbolic more than anything. It would symbolise the beginning of the shift in our culture. I'm not one for knee jerk reactions but this just seems obvious to me that Ed should step away now. Allow a fresh set of eyes to begin the healing and contruct away forward.

I didn't see today's presser, but judging by some of the comments on how Ed handled the situation, the time is right for him to go.
I watched most of it and both Murphy and Sizer were quite forthcoming, however I felt that Eddie did come across as uncomfortable. Understandably given his past comments.

I actually felt quite sad as Eddie has done quite a lot of good things for our club but sadly may only be remembered for these type of things.

You may be right, may not see his full term out.

Lumumba has asked not to be called Harry anymore. Is it any coincidence that the people denigrating him are the only ones ITT who won't call him by his real name?

Apples, they’ve shown an inability to address the issues handed down in the report, and have also been levelled with further incidents.

And you are telling people to move on and leave them at the helm...

How does that work? You are suggesting they stay on and fix something they’ve shown they are not only incapable of doing, but adding to. You think we should just burn a year of development and healing?

I took it as positive and now as a Club we are accountable for change, no more excuses, more action moving the dial. We have made progress over the years and getting better is exactly what it’s about, on and off the field.

do better and maybe we can all move forward with supporting this Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course, but they have had over a month. That's too long in this day and age.
It was said they received it a day before Xmas.
Given the time of the year, I'm not so sure the timing was too long.
Many would have been on holiday and may have come back mid to late January.
I'm sure that if/when they intended to release it they would have scripted it better and with it announced a raft of changes.

Witnessing Eddie's performance this afternoon, it is quite obvious today's leak took them by surprise because it was shambolic. Eddie, while President, was the wrong person to do the talking. It all came across as more spin to primarily protect the brand and his legacy. Just the thing the report accused them of doing.

Eddie can't see this through. He needs to go asap. This is exactly the reason you need proper corporate governance and a time limitation for the President.

I watched most of it and both Murphy and Sizer were quite forthcoming, however I felt that Eddie did come across as uncomfortable. Understandably given his past comments.

I actually felt quite sad as Eddie has done quite a lot of good things for our club but sadly may only be remembered for these type of things.

You may be right, may not see his full term out.
This will end up being his legacy, rightly or wrongly depending on how you view it. Right now he has a year to get this established as an ongoing commitment to keep doing better.

The question only related to our current list. It was observed by a journo that Collingwood has no indigenous players on our list. The response was that we bid on four indigenous players in the recent draft and that our list includes a number of players with diverse backgrounds.

I appreciate the response! It seems like a reasonable one from the club too TBH. It feels like it was a lazy softball question. Taking pride in todays events on the other hand is a whole different story...

This will end up being his legacy, rightly or wrongly depending on how you view it. Right now he has a year to get this established as an ongoing commitment to keep doing better.
This is too important to have Eddie anywhere near it. He’s a liability.

Given Eddie has been President for 22 years, presiding over a culture of systemic racism, do you think he should accept ultimate responsibility and step down now?
No I don't JMac70. Some of the issues go back way before Eddie's time. I think Eddie has made more of an effort to educate supporters on this issue than any previous president I can think of. And make no mistake, the supporters of our Club stand guilty of racism, just as some players and officials do. We are not alone. I saw the racists booing Adam Goodes not so long ago; they came from almost every club (I think Sydney was the exception naturally), and from all races, male and female.

If I were a First Nations person supporting Collingwood, I think I'd be feeling hopeful after today. I'm certain there will be zero tolerance going forward.

On Eddie resigning immediately, that would only cause uncertainty and instability. This drama will be forgotten pretty quickly as the AFL moves on to its next issue. I don't see any reason for it to detract from a season still months away.

Also JMac70, the selection of a new president should not be rushed. Eddie should be front and centre in the selection process. He has helped build a powerful brand and he must ensure that brand endures

I disagree. It's not farcical to take a month over Christmas to digest the report, draw up a strategy and plan on a release date. Come on people, it does seem obvious the Club was waiting for the AGM. Sensible in my opinion.

Can we ramp down the outrage and wait for the Club's response today?
That is exactly what every competent organisation would do.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Review into racism at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back