AFL Toast RND 10: Dreamtime Winning

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously incredible to get this win. Some payoff after so many nearly moments this year and getting the Richmond monkey off the back.

On balance I think this is the kind of game that, once our team gets itself in order, we probably win by 40 odd points. We controlled play for large patches, but just continually traumatize ourselves with mindless, no-look dump kicks down the line to zoning defenders, or brain-fade turnovers. The other big issue I've been seeing in terms of footy IQ/poor vision is the amount of times we will kick to a 1v1 contest (ostensibly fine to do, back in our player, etc.) where the three nearest players who will be there to swoop on a crumb are all opposition players. Need to be smarter than that: puts all the pressure on winning a clean mark otherwise it's a guaranteed turn-over.

But that bad stuff out of the way, onto the very very good.

We looked powerful around clearance play even without Parish and Setters. Others have rightly praised his game but Hobbs really is a different kind of beast. In today's game you see a lot of players who are tentative about taking possession lest they get immediately tackled. A lot of stand-back and tap on in front of you kind of play. But the very best inside players don't bother with that nonsense and just see ball, get ball, and are happy to wear the tackle and often get their heads taken off as reward: but over the course of the game the approach pays off. Hobbs is just that kind of latter category player, and it is special. Can't teach it.

Ridley needs to spend the rest of his career as third-up/interceptor. Don't worry about making him an accountable KPP, it's not his one-wood. Genuine star. McGrath is a genuine lock-down defender, which we've not really had in an age, and if folks think that's a poor ROI for a pick 1, fine, but look around the comp and see just how rare a good lock-down defender with his build and pace is. I'll take it.

And of course, Zerrett continues on his Brownlow-contention form, ably assisted by his spiritual vice-captain, Reddog. Just a strong game all round by each of our stars. Even Heppell was a net-good today: he's really gone back to fundamentals, plays the percentages with ball in hand, and looks a best 22 player again for it.

Flip out next week and maybe a rest for Tippa, but otherwise very happy with this undermanned but overperforming unit.

I think the board can find a Go Fund Me page for you if you want
Funnily enough this is the first time I’ve been since Jamie Elliott broke our hearts last year.

I seem to have a way with picking games in recent times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We
About time we won a thriller in a game we didn’t deserve to win.

That was a horrible game of football in total though
Well yes cos they ain’t the same team but nice to beat them with Dusty and Bolton in the same team. They used to bury teams in the last quarter.

Can someone please explain to me how we won that? Merritt and Rids were like text book all Australian. Redman good again. I thought Zerk was at times taking charge. I thought Heppell was great. Draper was important. Menzies had two great moments. I couldn’t stop watching Caldwell. Duzza at the end just floats in for the mark 🤣.

Historically speaking we just don’t win this type of game. Brad may just be starting to turn this giant shit truck around. Massive effort from a severely undermanned setup and a win from the box both in match planning and on game day. Huge from Zerrett and Ridley.

Heppell was sensational. Backing back into aerial contests with complete disregard for whatever or whoever was coming towards him. Played within his limitations when it came to his disposal by foot, and that contested mark he took with roughly a minute remaining cannot be understated. If that hits the ground, Rioli is ready to pounce and it’s game over. Then to have the composure and smarts to not rush and bomb the ball back to their spare in defence, that’s why he’s still got a lot to offer this football club. Great leadership and too often unfairly maligned.

I could write entire paragraphs about another dozen players, but I’m so happy that Hepp got to lead the players off alongside Merrett with a huge smile on his face. Great win boys!

Heppell was sensational. Backing back into aerial contests with complete disregard for whatever or whoever was coming towards him. Played within his limitations when it came to his disposal by foot, and that contested mark he took with roughly a minute remaining cannot be understated. If that hits the ground, Rioli is ready to pounce and it’s game over. Then to have the composure and smarts to not rush and bomb the ball back to their spare in defence, that’s why he’s still got a lot to offer this football club. Great leadership and too often unfairly maligned.

I could write entire paragraphs about another dozen players, but I’m so happy that Hepp got to lead the players off alongside Merrett with a huge smile on his face. Great win boys!

Was getting crucified for some dropped marks but that was probably unfair as the game was full of errors form both sides.

When it counted he took the important mark that you could have forgiven him not taking.
Think it's important for him to go out with reasonable form, I don't want him retiring in the twos.

I don't normally read oppo autopsies but made an exception. Tuggers are a special breed.

I'm still beaming. Love that they refused to lose. Previously a goal like Dusty's would've deflated us and that would be the game.

We do need to be smarter around the contest, particularly when the ball isn't won, but good signs ahead.

Hobbs is something else. I also love seeing Pidge in his element, such an athletic beast.

Also, Rioli AA? Please, Redman is better.

We are the MSD kings and you can't change my mind.

Last edited:

I was thinking about this more, you can only make a case for Wright in for Phillips and Weidd rucks more

Parish probably comes in and pushes Hobbs to HF more

Laverde pushes Baldwin back to the twos

Shiel ?

Kelly ?

Jones plays seconds

Cox plays seconds and finds his role

Setterfield I would argue plays seconds after the efforts of Hobwell last night (come at me)

And then we have the abundance of early draft picks currently not even on the park. Tsatas, Reid, Cox to find roles for.

I know Richmond are probably bottom 6, but geez the effort and intent last night shows we can do it and compete to the end

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast RND 10: Dreamtime Winning

Remove this Banner Ad

Back