AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done By The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Gresham hardly sighted for 3 quarters.

18 disposals. 6 tackles. 19 pressure acts. 5 score involvements. 4 inside 50.
He was better than a lot of others. Problem is his role takes him up to the contest so he can not just sit back in the forward 50 . That is what we get if we play him high half forward.

We sure would love massimo on the wing right now (players ranking points the best wing in the comp ) over Kelly. Couldn’t find room for him in the side with his weapon left leg, but we’ll throw players like Kelly around to find a spot for average footballers who offer nothing
Saad El-Hawli can't come quick enough into this side. Hopefully his ankle injury is minor and he's good to go after the bye

We sure would love massimo on the wing right now (players ranking points the best wing in the comp ) over Kelly. Couldn’t find room for him in the side with his weapon left leg, but we’ll throw players like Kelly around to find a spot for average footballers who offer nothing
We would but it is a double edge sword. He still doesn't defend and they sacrifice a wing so he can play behind the footy. It is rock and a hard place for us as we would love his offense but we also have to build a defensive platform. Kelly is now pretty much short term anyway. Not saying that Mass is not playing very good footy . He is.

That’s not the point though.. why are we allowing that to happen during our home game
I was thinking the same thing. It's our home game and we are allowing the away time to have there team introduction on the big screen. When else has that happened? It didn't feel like our home game.
Our marketing Dept are absolutely poo

Caddy not being able to break into this forward line is disastrous

Caddy makes this so much worse than it already is. He flies at everything because he is used to being the big dog.

There is a reason Jones came straight back in, he gets on his bike, creates space in behind and understand his role.

That’s not the point though.. why are we allowing that to happen during our home game

I just saw him waving the flag and hi fiving supporters, I didn’t realise he had any real role.

It’s not any worse than the shit electric guitar though. At least with Fev you know he might fall over or something so you might get a cheap laugh.

Caddy makes this so much worse than it already is. He flies at everything because he is used to being the big dog.

There is a reason Jones came straight back in, he gets on his bike, creates space in behind and understand his role.
Is it anyone’s role to take contested marks inside 50?

Have to give the Blues team defense credit. They managed to coral us down one wing for most of the night and they set up their zone very well. Gave us very little room to switch the footy and forced a lot of long down the line to out number contests. We had no answers as we have no marking power forward of the footy.

Have to also say we know when we kick down the line to a contest we are basically a 10% chance of marking it so why do we run off like we are going to hold the mark ? a lot seem to be running to the next spot as if we are going to mark the footy. FFS two or three need to start working in front and center and at least try and make the fall of the ball a break even at a minimum. Too many times the opposition have the numbers at the fall of the footy and our blokes are in no mans land .

Archie is very good at minding the grass in his area of the zone.

Did not get enough from Cox on his wing.

Kelly was horrible.

2MP must have some sort of phycological issues stemming from his shoulder injury as he does not look like taking a mark.

Jake starting to go backwards no he is spending more time at center bounce.

Menzie did okay first time at half back.

We simply did not make the most of the opportunities we created.

For the same reason he promotes alcohol and gambling despite them ruining his life.

Throw money at him and he will do literally anything.
Wouldn’t say his life is ruined, got his wife back, good paying gig on radio, off the punt for over a decade, cut back the piss.

Caddy not being able to break into this forward line is disastrous
If he keeps up todays form and Harry remains invisible I doubt it will be much longer before he is back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it anyone’s role to take contested marks inside 50?

We took more marks inside 50 than they did. And one less contested mark overall.

It’s simplistic to say because I think we continue to have plenty of problems but we probably just kicked ourselves out of this one to be honest.

I’d still change a lot of things though.

We took more marks inside 50 than they did. And one less contested mark overall.

It’s simplistic to say because I think we continue to have plenty of problems but we probably just kicked ourselves out of this one to be honest.

I’d still change a lot of things though.
Where we took the marks inside 50 were poles apart from where they were taking theirs though, and that's reflected in the set shot accuracy. The best we could get for most of the night was either on the arc on in the pocket, they were getting them regularly 15-20m out.

Anyone know how long before Parish back? Website says 5-6 but Scott said not long after the bye in the pre game presser.

Probably beat West Coast but I don't see many other victories without him back. Massive loss.

Logically the midfield was going to be up against it tonight, Caldwell Perkins and Durham have never played this much midfield in their lives, setters coming back for his first game in many weeks, and to be honest stringer hasn’t played this many consecutive games for many years and finally goldy is nearly 40 playing against a young gun in his prime. Although we didn’t win the battle tonight we never gave in.

A freshen up should do the boys wonders, hope to see duursma back in the mix and hopefully setters isn’t too injured.

I genuinely believe we will never see 2022 2MP again. :'(

I don't think it is a talent thing, though confidence is probably down. I think it is his skills and style don't suit the busy forward line. I think he should be leading hard at the ball potentially dragging zoning defenders with him ... and then become part of the wall once the ball gets in behind him. Even if he isn't the interceptor of their kick out of defence, we can pass to him to shoot from 50m.

However, I think leading patterns of the whole forward line need looking at.

We got beaten around the ball.
We couldn't convert opportunities.

Menzie, Duz, Caldwell, Merrett and Ridley our best

Where we took the marks inside 50 were poles apart from where they were taking theirs though, and that's reflected in the set shot accuracy. The best we could get for most of the night was either on the arc on in the pocket, they were getting them regularly 15-20m out.

I mean, that was always the model at the start of the year, we were just converting and being smart enough to take the short passes when they were offered.

Nothing is drastically different from 6 weeks ago

He doesn’t pick teams based on form unfortunately, or Caddy would still be in (was omitted due to the “flu”)
He was sick. Did not play VFL last week.
He gives blokes plenty of chances but Jones got dropped last year as did Weideman in the end. So far he has not had to swing the axe massively on form this year as we have been winning games.

He was sick. Did not play VFL last week.
He gives blokes plenty of chances but Jones got dropped last year as did Weideman in the end. So far he has not had to swing the axe massively on form this year as we have been winning games.

He did not give Caddy, “plenty of chances”. He ‘dropped’ him as soon as he could. And we just watched Jones, Langford and Wright kick 1 goal between them.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done By The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back