AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done By The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

People here giving a rookie sub who wins the ball and is adjusting a hard time and completely gloss over the senior players being poor is laughable. What about the seasoned players adding sod all to the equation.

Senior players have flaws, but none as fundamentally broken as Tsatas kicking is. He's practically missed his foot 3 times in 2 quarters. Tsatas is a prospect with great potential, but he shouldn't be in the team currently if our objective is to win games of football. If it's not, play him, but also Caddy, Roberts and Bryan. Currently his selection is antithetical to the rest of Scotts selection policy.

Shows where we are at. The list still needs development and some personnel changes.
It was good to get a few wins but the reality is every week I say we lack genuine marking power forward of the footy. We have no crumbing small forwards. The ruck is an issue and we need a decent KPF .
Not a lot will change short term.
It is what it is.
its a worry when the big bloke at FF is the one who can' mark. If the leader of the pack cant do it, wha hope does everyone else have

(not a personal attack, just frustrating)

I think that game pretty neatly highlights our shortcomings.

Of the stuff we can fix with the current list, goal kicking is probably number one. We were very sharp in the first part of season but the last month has been crap. I don’t know what they’ve done differently but it’s cost us games. I think fitness is still an issue despite a lot of players having great preseasons- the blues always seemed to have an outnumber and I assume that’s just down to superior fitness and running power.

Of the stuff we can’t really fix with the current list, the ruck situation is really dire. We won heaps of clearances with the Draper/Goldstein combination but since Draper got injured we’ve struggled. And as much as Draper is dynamic and powerful, he doesn’t ruck that well and isn’t clean with the ball. If there’s a really good ruck at our pick in the draft I’d be inclined to take him, it won’t fix our issues straight away but sides are showing you can build a midfield around a dominant ruck. I’m not sure if there’s any trade/FA targets but that would be worth looking at too.

Overall I think the 6-10 is probably where we sit and this game demonstrates that, we can hang around and show up in patches but the serious contenders can grind us down without being under too much pressure.

People here giving a rookie sub who wins the ball and is adjusting a hard time and completely gloss over the senior players being poor is laughable. What about the seasoned players adding sod all to the equation.
Nobody thinks Tsatas cost us the game. The supporter base is just disappointed we used pick 5 on a guy who kicks like an Auskicker

It's a weird result where looking at a lot of key stats you'd think we would've won but poor kicking in front of goal and generally a lack of efficiency in getting scoring shots when we did get inside 50 cost us big time. Needed a lot more from the forwards tonight. Wright looks genuinely scared whenever the ball nears him and was useless in the ruck - got manhandled by Cripps on one occasion. Langford has gone from being an incredibly reliable set shot to... whatever this is.

Merrett got tagged out of most of the game and the position the midfield is in currently meant there was nobody really able to step up and plug the gap. Again, missing Parish has a huge effect.

Nobody should have gotten sucked in by the ladder position. Making finals would be a good season, but we clearly haven't been a top 2 or top 4 side.

The thing that pleases me is for the majority of the team the DNA and the effort is there. Just carrying a couple of passengers and we are lacking forward connections and contested marking.

I thought it was the one part of the ground we could have got them (forward line).

It is not all doom and gloom. I’m taking some comfort in the fact that many of our players performed below expectations and our forward line seems a bit dysfunctional right now (and not to mention inefficient in front of goals). If we can tidy it up a bit and get some confidence in the the marking forwards and get a couple of small forwards whizzing around at their feet and kicking straight we beat Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus don't ever say that again...
Vomit Throwing Up GIF
Nah it’s going to be Blues v Hawks.

its a worry when the big bloke at FF is the one who can' mark. If the leader of the pack cant do it, wha hope does everyone else have

(not a personal attack, just frustrating)
The next bloke in Jones is pretty much non existent as well.
Caddy looked good today too n the VFL . Small glimmer of hope for the future.
I was more frustrated with the dumb shit . My view is the list is still three plus years away from top 4 . Still 6 or 7 gaps to fill.

I genuinely believe we will never see 2022 2MP again. :'(

It could simply be, he's a bit spooked by the suspension still and from the injury, so there is some merit/reason behind it. doesn't help that Langford is in a slump and Stringer, Jones to some degree.

An idea, maybe we need to bring players back from stretches out in the VFL for a bit longer, maybe we bring players back too quick, but i understand that is a complex thing when you need to fill the best 22 gaps.

Not bad. I thought Carlton were awesome seemed like a finals game

Win i50s 60 v 40
Win territory 60 v 40
4 more i50 marks
Win Xscore

In: Caddy, El Hawli, Redman, Duursma
Out: H.Jones, Setterfield, Tsatas, Kelly

Sub: N.Cox
if there was a stat that is being overlooked it is we convincingly won the tackle count (79 - 57)

often teams who dominate on the scoresheet win the tackle count as well. We stuck phat till the end

delivery inside 50 = poor
kicking for goal = poor
Forward line functionality = poor
winners around the ground =poor

But still had more than our fair share of chances to score and win

Martin needs to play MID/WING

Caddyshack Kid and the Saad next to be IN after the bye

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 13: Done By The Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back