AFL Toast RND 17: Win Against The Cold Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Jye Caldwell!

That was a fantastic win. I'd say most of our midfielders won their positions. Obviously special mention to Merrett who was absolutely first rate. Caldwell/Durham have been getting praise all year and they kept up their good performances.
Shiel looked the best he has in years especially as the game wore on. I think some tough love in the VFL has really got himself fit and firing.

Some guys who probably won't get much praise but were very good. Kelly absolutely dominated Hill. Kelly is at his best when the opposition have a super dangerous small forward that he just needs to focus on locking down and he did just that.

McGrath was excellent. He was one touch all game long, cleaned up a ton of messes and defended really well. It wasn't his most eye catching performance but it was very polished.

Draper was pretty good with a caveat. He was great at all the big man stuff. Taking marks, being a physical presence etc. But geez his finesse in tight quarters is non existent - one of the goals Collingwood got early he took the ball out of the ruck cleanly and gave it straight to Crisp and he had plenty of time to do a lot better.

Jones on the wing seemed good. Its funny because we tried Cox on the wing as we wanted a KP sized player giving us a marking edge and now with Jones it seems much better.

Perkins probably could do with a spell in the 2s and he had a few shocking moments, although to be fair he also had some positive game influencing ones too. I really like his kicking in general and normally his marking is good - even though he dropped an absolute sitter in the last which lead to the first of those Collingwood run of goals. I think we either move him back to the forward line or he plays VFL midfield and develops his craft some more particularly on the defensive side (I'd consider giving him a few run with roles and get him to develop that side of his game).

In my work tipping comp, I've picked us every round, this weekend I was certain we'd lose, I didn't see us manufacturing a win. I figured we'd lose by about 20
Whether a last minute drop away or
A brave catch up play, I didn't see us winning, I saw us losing by 20.

Crazy to see how far Caldwell & Durham have come.
Langford is now 5th in the Coleman, despite clearly carrying lately.
How huge was Caddy! Involved in almost every single score in the first 3 qtrs. Keep him in for the rest of the year
Jones is massive on the wing
Happy to have Duursma back
Duz and Caldwell again just huge.

No negatives mentioned here, just going to enjoy in this post, and about to warm up my shisha and enjoy some highlights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back