Preview Rnd 4 - Carlton v North Friday 7th April 4.20PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting as it's carried across multiple coaches. Even a forwardline coach who coached the all-conquering (almost) Adelaide forwardline couldn't get us to do anything but just bomb it in hopefully.

Maybe it's simply down to the players? We just don't have that many creative kicks or guys with good kicking vision going inside 50?

Fisher is one, SOS is another, they both seem to find players in pockets of space or on leads at times. But that'd be pretty close to the end of the list.
Your point is accurate and I think for that reason it is the coaches that tell them to structure this way. I cannot believe that when a player has the ball outside 60, walks back to take his kick, ahead Harry and Charlie always forget to move apart. They could even go your turn, my turn but no.

Yep I agree players with good kicks inside 50 are hard to find. We have very few of them. I would love to see a stat on the leads by JSOS, Martin, Motlop..etc..that have been ignored. I know Martin against Tigers gave up, it was like he was invisible (which he can be).

Issac Smith from the Cats is the No.1 kick inside 50 convertor. Oh to have pace, run and a great inside 50 kick.

For us, who do I trust JSOS with that kick, who else?

Your point is accurate and I think for that reason it is the coaches that tell them to structure this way. I cannot believe that when a player has the ball outside 60, walks back to take his kick, ahead Harry and Charlie always forget to move apart. They could even go your turn, my turn but no.

Yep I agree players with good kicks inside 50 are hard to find. We have very few of them. I would love to see a stat on the leads by JSOS, Martin, Motlop..etc..that have been ignored. I know Martin against Tigers gave up, it was like he was invisible (which he can be).

Issac Smith from the Cats is the No.1 kick inside 50 convertor. Oh to have pace, run and a great inside 50 kick.

LOB should/could be that player.

Run carry bounce hit up a lead with a spearing pass or take a shot on goal. Train him to do this. train our forwards to run into space to spread oppo defence and creat one on one contests…both charlie and H will win their fair share.

Expect this will be a more difficult game for us than we might expect.

North will be somewhat of an enigma this season. Have shown what they can do at their best (Freo in Perth) and then the immaturity still in executing the game plan (Hawthorn).

Being a big standalone fixture, I'd be surprised if they are as flat as they were last week.
If we cannot win these type of games comfortably we are not going to be a top 4 side, North have started off ok, but would be surprised if they are not bottom 5 later in the season, as they are very much in rebuilding mode.
We need to take advantage of playing these lesser teams, as our draw is quite tough in the mid-part of the season.

If we cannot win these type of games comfortably we are not going to be a top 4 side, North have started off ok, but would be surprised if they are not bottom 5 later in the season, as they are very much in rebuilding mode.
We need to take advantage of playing these lesser teams, as our draw is quite tough in the mid-part of the season.

Just want the 4 points at this stage. Not particularly worried about the final margin.

Top 4 teams drop games against poor sides every year, not expecting this year to be any different.

The burning question is…we can all see this but why can’t the coaches?

It’s their job to correct this. im thinking even 1 preseason should be enough time to show some progress with this but each year we see the same old.
Thinking of this as an outsider so no knowledge what is going on with coaching set up -- but maybe they just want more games into Charlie before setting him alight like a Cameron and let him roam which is his greatest physical attribute (endurance) coupled with his ground ball ability .. Mackay suited close to goal as his 25-35 m goal scoring is very high and has pace to lose his opponent on lead -- yes his around the ground marking is great in clutch moment ..
On the vision they showed on the couch of Harry and Charlie flying together with two defenders ( the second defender was going to impact contest so our fwd had to go ) where were the crumbing fwds
As a side note I still don't understand how we can play so tall but struggle to find connection down the line or from kick ins

I'm just hoping that we bank another 4 points whilst seeing some semblance of sustainable game style. Need to be more fired up than last week. Would be nice for Harry to get heaps of opportunities and gain some goal kicking confidence. A solid team effort should get the job done and give us a comfortable victory.

Nice test for Weiters this week against Larkey.

Long term, Motlop - he's more midfielder than goalsneak IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:pOf course, John was the only disciple who didn’t meet a grizzly end, but that’s for another day!
Religious joke. What could possibly go wrong!
Ps. Theology student here.
I heard it first in the student lounge.

Last edited:
Big wraps for the young fellows (Dutchy and Cow). But just an observation and appreciate some comments

I felt the Dwarfs (GWS) really piled on some pressure against us on Saturday, and quite a few players got the fumbles, Cowan on a couple of occasions was one, got caught with the ball or struggled to deal with the heat.

First thought was he might need to get some composure through the twos, but…..

3 games in, maybe the MC will persevere, plenty of others werent clean with the ball, not like we have a half bank flanker dominating in the twos that doesn’t shît the bed at times

Thoughts??

You can’t really get practice for composure in the VFL as the intensity is far lower - which is why some look a million dollars in the VFL but have poor disposal efficiency in the AFL. So as long as Cowan doesn’t make glaring mistakes that impact us on the scoreboard he and we are better off him getting used to AFL while playing AFL. Likewise for Hollands. It’s an investment which can pay off later in the season and definitely in seasons to come.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Big wraps for the young fellows (Dutchy and Cow). But just an observation and appreciate some comments

I felt the Dwarfs (GWS) really piled on some pressure against us on Saturday, and quite a few players got the fumbles, Cowan on a couple of occasions was one, got caught with the ball or struggled to deal with the heat.

First thought was he might need to get some composure through the twos, but…..

3 games in, maybe the MC will persevere, plenty of others werent clean with the ball, not like we have a half bank flanker dominating in the twos that doesn’t shît the bed at times

Thoughts??
Cincotta for Cowan this week I reckon. Cow is still very young and I think they need to be a bit careful with him. Cincottas form has been pretty good, has a strong body, probably not an elite kick. Loves to take the game on though and we do need more run.

Just want the 4 points at this stage. Not particularly worried about the final margin.

Top 4 teams drop games against poor sides every year, not expecting this year to be any different.
With LDU & Simpkin due back, both skilled mids and hard running players, will test our mids to the hilt. They will try to out-run us if they can. LDU is in best season form atm, and gives them a lot of drive. Maybe Ed goes to him to try to contain him a bit. Other dangerous Norf players to watch are Larkey, Zurhaar, Cunnington & Sheezel. Remember when Norf beat us a season or two ago, Larkey kicked a bag on Weits, and he had to be shifted. We always have trouble with Norf, they seem to lift against us. Despite this, if we are properly prepared and focussed for this special game, I believe we should account for them comfortably.

The D50 exits and then entries to forward 50 must be by design. Hard to believe that this is our planned strategy though.

Can anyone with an eye for game style detail how we're playing differently, if at all, to last year? Vossy said that we would add layers to what we did last year.

Like most, I just follow the ball when I watch, so don't pay much attention to what's happening outside of this.

With LDU & Simpkin due back, both skilled mids and hard running players, will test our mids to the hilt. They will try to out-run us if they can. LDU is in best season form atm, and gives them a lot of drive. Maybe Ed goes to him to try to contain him a bit. Other dangerous Norf players to watch are Larkey, Zurhaar, Cunnington & Sheezel. Remember when Norf beat us a season or two ago, Larkey kicked a bag on Weits, and he had to be shifted. We always have trouble with Norf, they seem to lift against us. Despite this, if we are properly prepared and focussed for this special game, I believe we should account for them comfortably.

The midfield battle will be interesting. Yes, they have beaten us up previously but let's face it, there isn't a team out there who didn't through the rebuild. The midfield unit we have now is vastly superior and much tougher than anything we put out on the park through those years.

I wouldn't bother tagging LDU. Sure we need to be mindful of him but I'm pretty happy to let him go H2H with Cripps, as was the case with Tom Green last week.
Playing a full time tagger reduces the advantage we have in the midfield.

Found this on the Norf Board - apparently North reserved seating area but tickets still available ...

*EDIT: Link is for reserved seats only & an upgrade to Level 1.
You also need a GA M/ship to gain entry.

ferrisb RUN DON'T WALK

Just gave it a try and it works :thumbsu:

MrsEddieBetts

Last edited:
LOB should/could be that player.

Run carry bounce hit up a lead with a spearing pass or take a shot on goal. Train him to do this. train our forwards to run into space to spread oppo defence and creat one on one contests…both charlie and H will win their fair share.
He's been training his whole life to do this, the last 5-6 years within an elite, professional environment.

If he can't do it by now.... yeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back