B- Trezise Miller Vlaustin
HB- Short Blight D.Rioli
C- Ross Hopper Banks
HF- Ralphsmith Balta Bolton
F- Bauer Kozi Mansell
FOLL- Nankervis Sonsie Taranto
I/C- Broad, Graham, Prestia, Campbell
Sub- Coulthard
Play Kosi on Chol and move Miller forward. Kosi looks much better behind the ball. Put Banks back so we have three good smaller defenders who are prepared to run to counter their three small forwards. Short can't or won't run so he can't play back. Play Ralphsmith on the wing, he's been going OK there. Bring Cumberland in and rotate him and Bolton through midfield/forward because we only have one Bolton and we desperately need X factor both forward and in the midfield and Cumberland is the only other option. Ask Graham if he is leaving and if he is, drop him and play MacAulif.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Below are the games where we lost both possession count AND tackle count:

• Carlton (1st game)
  • Port Adelaide (MCG)
  • Fremantle (MCG)
  • Bulldogs (MCG)
  • Essendon
  • Geelong (GMHBA)
  • Carlton (2nd game)
  • Fremantle (OS)
  • GWS (MCG)
  • Port Adelaide (AO)
  • North Melbourne (Marvel)
  • St Kilda (Marvel)

This happened 12 times as seen above. Losing both is usually unacceptable because you'd really be relying on clean disposals to win otherwise. Clubs like GWS and Geelong might be able to play like this, but we don't have the skills for that. However, we know that most of this is because of our inexperienced youth. It simply will take time for them to build the fitness required to play the entire game.

The main reason I'm bringing this up is that I wish Yze would not say things like "I can't fault our effort" because you absolutely can. In fact, it's easy to pull apart statements like that with stats like the above. Whenever the reporters in press conference question potential work rate issues, he seems to dance around the topic in his answer. He did it again in the St Kilda match. These reporters are bringing this up for a reason, so he needs to address this clearly instead of wandering off into talking about execution and synergy. Seriously, where is our PR team in all of this???

I am glad he starting reminding these reporters that synergy will take a bit of time when you have a side full of inexperienced youth. However, he should just address the work rate issues we have right now. He can just say that our work rate was down because we're playing many inexperienced youngsters that need to build up their endurance, which takes a bit of time. This would 100% be a true statement that reflects what is happening now.

However, the disconnect between his current public statements and the stats or the questions posed makes it look like he has no clue what he's talking about. Even if he does that as a PR exercise to prevent scrutiny on our players, it is not a good look for him. As a new coach, how he comes across is important too, and I wish he had people around him that would help him word things in such a way that protects him too.

I say this because his words will end up hurting his senior coaching career if things keep going the way they are now. Especially with our current performance. In fact, this already started with media vultures like Cornes picking his words apart. Yze needs people at the club to help him with the PR side of things. If they already are, then they're not doing a good job of it IMO.

I'd be interested to hear other people's take on this too because maybe I'm the only one that thinks this. Maybe it's not as much of a problem as I think it is. But, I just can't help but think that he needs people to help him respond to scrutiny on our performance a bit better. If a reporter like Cornes realises that we are two losses away from our worst season ever, then he will need all the PR training he can get.

Dow has had plenty of games to improve and has consistently under performed. Ryan is miles off AFL standard. The only way he makes it is as a backup ruck.

In Ross, Blight, McAuliffe
Out Dow, Ryan, KMac

Below are the games where we lost both possession count AND tackle count:

• Carlton (1st game)
  • Port Adelaide (MCG)
  • Fremantle (MCG)
  • Bulldogs (MCG)
  • Essendon
  • Geelong (GMHBA)
  • Carlton (2nd game)
  • Fremantle (OS)
  • GWS (MCG)
  • Port Adelaide (AO)
  • North Melbourne (Marvel)
  • St Kilda (Marvel)

This happened 12 times as seen above. Losing both is usually unacceptable because you'd really be relying on clean disposals to win otherwise. Clubs like GWS and Geelong might be able to play like this, but we don't have the skills for that. However, we know that most of this is because of our inexperienced youth. It simply will take time for them to build the fitness required to play the entire game.

The main reason I'm bringing this up is that I wish Yze would not say things like "I can't fault our effort" because you absolutely can. In fact, it's easy to pull apart statements like that with stats like the above. Whenever the reporters in press conference question potential work rate issues, he seems to dance around the topic in his answer. He did it again in the St Kilda match. These reporters are bringing this up for a reason, so he needs to address this clearly instead of wandering off into talking about execution and synergy. Seriously, where is our PR team in all of this???

I am glad he starting reminding these reporters that synergy will take a bit of time when you have a side full of inexperienced youth. However, he should just address the work rate issues we have right now. He can just say that our work rate was down because we're playing many inexperienced youngsters that need to build up their endurance, which takes a bit of time. This would 100% be a true statement that reflects what is happening now.

However, the disconnect between his current public statements and the stats or the questions posed makes it look like he has no clue what he's talking about. Even if he does that as a PR exercise to prevent scrutiny on our players, it is not a good look for him. As a new coach, how he comes across is important too, and I wish he had people around him that would help him word things in such a way that protects him too.

I say this because his words will end up hurting his senior coaching career if things keep going the way they are now. Especially with our current performance. In fact, this already started with media vultures like Cornes picking his words apart. Yze needs people at the club to help him with the PR side of things. If they already are, then they're not doing a good job of it IMO.

I'd be interested to hear other people's take on this too because maybe I'm the only one that thinks this. Maybe it's not as much of a problem as I think it is. But, I just can't help but think that he needs people to help him respond to scrutiny on our performance a bit better. If a reporter like Cornes realises that we are two losses away from our worst season ever, then he will need all the PR training he can get.
Yze has lost the battle with Cornes, RFC lost the battle with Barrett.

Tackle numbers, pressure acts. Nank, Graham, Taranto are our big contributors. Mansell ~ our best pressure player vs Saints.
I know our Contested possession numbers have improved with Hopper & Taranto.

I assume the "effort" Yze refers to is the running stats where win lose or draw RFC numbers are usually OK. North loss we outran them. RFC had top 7/10 for distance run, top 6/10 for speed. Broke even in sprints But Campbell, Hugo & Rioli topped with 26.
North ran 4kms more in the game.
RFC out sprinted NMFC 284 to 262.

which indicates a base line fitness that RFC has been bringing for a few years. It has hot been helping the last couple of years with an injury ****ed team.

Last edited:
Yze saying Big Sexy is touch and go. If Lunch plays again this season he'll do another injury.
Kevin Nash is on his way to Tigerland?

Interested Kevin Nash GIF

Pick the worst team possible, keep the best fresh for Dusty’s farewell
Dow has played 17 out of 21 games, Sonsie 14, Ryan 8, Cumbo 7
Standard practice in 2024, regardless of injuries. AFL's list requirements are perplexing, should be like other sports and allow reserves to play senior games without restriction, or have emergency loans.

Dow has played 17 out of 21 games, Sonsie 14, Ryan 8, Cumbo 7
Standard practice in 2024, regardless of injuries. AFL's list requirements are perplexing, should be like other sports and allow reserves to play senior games without restriction, or have emergency loans.
There's a lot the AFL doesn't do like other sports. Father/Son, Academies, subjective conflicting rules that change each year, free agency compensation...It's bizarre.

Daniel Rioli getting it over his shoulder while being tackled by Sharman which allowed JGTI to use his speed (to the surprise of many, I'm sure) to beat Marshall to the footy and Taranto crumbed off the big pack beautifully and HRS finished amazingly with the dribble goal! Huge team play!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast Toast & Changes for Hawthorn

Back