Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Kane Lambert

Votes: 41 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people might think that our chances are coming to an end as Reiwoldt, Dusty, Cotch and others come to the end of their careers. Allowing that a guy like Dusty is irreplaceable, it's still the case that when your A grade players depart it frees up a heck of a lot of salary cap space and enables you to chase quality players to fill the hole.

Long term success requires:
1) making the most of limited draft opportunities (we do this already)
2) play in a way that maximizes the return from B and C graders (again, we do this already)
3) take the opportunity to draft quality when circumstances allow (and, again, we do this already -- as when we scored Lynch)

I think the evidence of the last few years is that we get very good return from our trading and it's this that makes me quietly confident we can be in flag contention for a few years yet.

Of course they are stars of the game , but Dusty still has minimum 3 + years left, Chimp hopefully 2 years and Edwards , Jack prbly 1 year but we still got Lynch so would be good to find another gun forward if possible etc .

Balta appears to have found his position in the backline and your right I don’t think they want to move him around with an eye on his future. But we have to solve the immediate ruck problem and the more I think about it the more I think this is the solution.
Balta has played mid/forward previously and he’s a much improved player 12 months on.

Maybe he ends up a kpb but it’s about getting the best combination for the next 3 games.

I think we can just about concede hit outs for the remainder of the finals series so it’s about getting the best result from our ruck combination. Balta is definitely going to give you more around the ground and at ground level than Chol.

And there’s no doubt we can cover Balta in the backline. You bring in Broad and go with the same experienced back 6 we’ve had since Rance went down

Balta has played mid/forward previously and he’s a much improved player 12 months on.

Maybe he ends up a kpb but it’s about getting the best combination for the next 3 games.

I think we can just about concede hit outs for the remainder of the finals series so it’s about getting the best result from our ruck combination. Balta is definitely going to give you more around the ground and at ground level than Chol.

And there’s no doubt we can cover Balta in the backline. You bring in Broad and go with the same experienced back 6 we’ve had since Rance went down
I agree, just not sure if Dimma etc will pull that lever

How many i50 did Fridge have, he hits a target every time. Also Sheds and Dusty.

Yes, Dusty, one hit up pass to Castagna. Fridge or Edwards dont recall any hit up passes to our forwards for a shot on goal, what im saying is and commentators said it also it didn't work bombing it in all night long, especially with Andrews being the third man up. Needed to play smarter football with our forward 50 entries.

Great post. And yes, we have been fortunate. I think Lynch going down was by far the biggest god send. Just think you beat who's in front of you and I doubt Dimma will be talking about our COVID advantage in the game review.

My initial post was in relation to 'only traveling 3 times'... well given the shortened season thats of par with a usual Vic clubs season.

Funnily enough, the pressure of 'protecting home' on our young team was my biggest concern coming in. I wanted the GF at Adelaide oval TBH. I also wished we hubbed more as I wanted our challange to be as even as possible. We all have challanges.

I just think anyone diminishing the value of our young groups achievements is being a sour puss.

I say the same when people knock Richmond. I like that Cats and richmond have put the 'they only win because of their home ground advantage' to bed.

Anyway, good luck going forward, if you could win a third with the COVID constraints that would truley rubber stamp you dynasty.

Well said, I think most of us here appreciate that you guys have come a long way and it’s great. I said 10 minutes into the first quarter “Lions and Tigers are by far the best two teams in it”.
Let’s hope we meet again this year to do that justice :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would want to be sure Balta is a decent ruck to make that move though. If we are playing against St Kilda, you would have to assume Ryder would smash Balta in the ruck anyway. Our key defenders were good last night, small defenders were beaten, we shouldn't change them. Lynch did ok on Grundy in round 2. He can take center bounces if it gets desperate.

We really shot ourselves in the foot last night with those brain fade 50s.
Yes half of them were touch and go and i don’t agree an umpire pays them in a final.
However we know these maggots will take every opportunity to try and bury us so just can’t give them anything to pay.
Will be worse if we get over next week and go Adelaide, crowd frees galore so need to be more disciplined.

You would want to be sure Balta is a decent ruck to make that move though. If we are playing against St Kilda, you would have to assume Ryder would smash Balta in the ruck anyway. Our key defenders were good last night, small defenders were beaten, we shouldn't change them. Lynch did ok on Grundy in round 2. He can take center bounces if it gets desperate.
The alternative is to go again with Chol - No
Play an undersized mid ala Grigga 2017.
Play Miller as a second ruck.

Reckon the Balta option is the best one. He won’t win you any hit outs but he could be very dangerous in other areas

We really shot ourselves in the foot last night with those brain fade 50s.
Yes half of them were touch and go and i don’t agree an umpire pays them in a final.
However we know these maggots will take every opportunity to try and bury us so just can’t give them anything to pay.
Will be worse if we get over next week and go Adelaide, crowd frees galore so need to be more disciplined.
I think some may have been out of frustration , Brisbane and Zorko , Rayner and Robinson in particular , got away with a lot of cheap shots and dodgy frees . Richmond got pinged for everything . I hope the club is outspoken about the way the game was umpired . Bringing publicity to it and if coping a fine it would be money well spent .
It was disgraceful, mind you Geelong copped similar at key moments in their game against Port and I ain’t a Geelong fan .

Last edited:
Everybody in hear freaking out that Nank got beat in the ruck seem to forget that big O also beat Soldo earlier in the year.

I think some may have been out of frustration , Brisbane and Zorko , Rayner and Robinson in particular , got away with a lot of cheap shots and dodgy frees . Richmond got pinged for everything . I hope the club is outspoken about the way the game was umpired . Bringing publicity to it and if coping a fine it would be money well spent .
it was Disgraceful, mind you Geelong copped similar at key moments in their game against port and I ain’t Geelong fan .
Internally we’ll be fuming (Dimma said as much last night during the half time interview).

Externally we won’t make a big deal out of it. Just give the media a reason to grill us all week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back