Autopsy Roast & Toast R19 vs Geelong & Changes for R20 vs Fremantle

Best vs Geelong

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That second quarter was the difference, they went to a level we couldn't match, and that was the game, I didn't take anything out of the second half.
If we took our chances early to get scoreboard pressure and momentum, you never know what can happen, but we were missing easy shots and dropping marks I50, the injury plagued back line were never going to hold out for the whole game against such an in form team with midfield dominance.

When you touch it five or six times and barely lay a tackle, all that supposed hard-running is wasted and influential.
He could run a record 42km in a game, but if you don't get near it or impact the contest, it's detrimental.
Move him on - take Aarts as well - and reconfigure and reimagine the forward line.
Lynch, Reiwoldt and Chol need to be constantly on the move. Leading and creating space. Lynch gave a free kick for holding today. I’m sick of our forwards wrestling with the defenders

Riewoldt was pretty much involved in every goal we got. He wont be replaceable when he finishes up. Parkers intensity stood out, like Pickets does at times. But for all that work hardly anything resulted in a score. Rioli was great, few others ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I felt Rioli, Stack & Mansell all show great promise down back.
But then, add Short, Vlastuin, Broad, Baker along with Grimes, Astbury, Balta/Garthwaite.
Also Edwards has played quite well there, it's Eggs only position, we tried out Ross there. K-Mac, Pickett and Naish can all fill in there.
We can't have the whole team play HBF.

Someone needs to learn how to play forward effectively.
We used to have Rioli, Castagna, Butler & Stengle as a plethora there.
Now we have basically Castagna & Aarts and neither show much.
MRJ shows some promise but needs some time. Ralphsmith? Cumberland? How would Cotchin go as a deep forward ?
Hugo shows promise as he looks a natural footballer rather than a role player foremost , cumbo will get his chance but he has time don’t rush a kid on return from acl

Peter Burge is our fitness performance manager. Not sure if we lost all his assistants last year due to COVID-19 cap restrictions but this needs to be a key focus moving into 2022 to get our older players bodies right to get through a whole season. Emma Murray would also be great if we could get her back.

Hugo shows promise as he looks a natural footballer rather than a role player foremost , cumbo will get his chance but he has time don’t rush a kid on return from acl

Hugo should be a shoe-in next week, but we'll continue to hotch our wagon to lousy ol' George and Jake.
Wash, rinse repeat .. wash, rinse, repeat!

Lynch, Reiwoldt and Chol need to be constantly on the move. Leading and creating space. Lynch gave a free kick for holding today. I’m sick of our forwards wrestling with the defenders
It makes me sick when we have three talented marking talls and Stewart floats in and takes an intercept time and again , how does a defender read it better than 3 of us ,,,,,,ThREE

Good for taking a zero of his contract tho😉
Always a positive

He knows he can get the money elsewhere though so we cant even do that. He has been awful since breaking his wrist. The odd good quarter (4th against Essendon), but extremely lazy. He will get a 2 year deal on good money with us, but id never want to offer him a long term contract.

In: Vlaustin, Prestia, Martin, Houli, Soldo, Balta, McIntosh, Broad, Coleman-Jones,
Out: Aarts, Castagna, Garthwaite, Chol, Cotchin (Rest), Edwards (Ankle), Ross and two others!

Peter Burge is our fitness performance manager. Not sure if we lost all his assistants last year due to COVID-19 cap restrictions but this needs to be a key focus moving into 2022 to get our older players bodies right to get through a whole season. Emma Murray would also be great if we could get her back.
With exception of Prestia most have been collision injuries
Nank
Balta
Broad
Vlas
Shedda
Houli
Not a lot burge can do about that

It's hard to take stock of what's going on now. With so many out there isn't much I can take from what is happening on the field. Are we playing poorly? For sure but there is a lot at play.

• Castagne and Aarts look worse and this is possibly one area of the field where we can take stock as there aren't too many missing from the forward line. Castagna in particular worries me. Like many, I'd like to see Caddy forward but at this stage I have a feeling he has more or less dictated midfield or nothing otherwise he'd be in the side.
  • Without Prestia and Martin the opposition best stoppers move onto the next best player. For us it's Graham and insert player here. Cotchin isn't a go-to for opposition anymore. He can still be damaging at times but isn't the creator like Martin or Prestia. Graham has been playing really well and this string of injuries may be the making of him as a player. Bolton is still learning. When he is inside (and to a lesser extent outside) someone picks him up. Again, it'll be the making of him as a player but it's much easier to play when you are getting Parfitt or Narkle in the middle and not Guthrie.
  • Without McIntosh we lack pace and aggression wide. Not so much leg speed (everyone is more or less the same pace) but ball movement. McIntosh competes and keeps the ball moving forward a lot more compared to his opposite wing. This also leads to making it easier for an opposition midfield to close us down.
  • The backline is shot. Two weeks ago we changed four players in the backline alone. While Rioli looks really good now (and may replace Houli eventually) We are pretty poor. I know a lot like to blame Astbury but defence is now a sum of its parts rather than one-on-one. Without your key players the system can (and has done so) fall over. Without Balta both Astbury and Grimes are doing jobs we would rather Balta and Brard do. Garthwaite competes but isn't at the level and I don't think ever will be. Mansell competes hard but again isn't at the level that we have seen in previous years for back flankers. Stack still looks underdone but again, may (and should) look better when there are other backs to support him. We really haven't recovered (depth-wise) from the loss of Rance as it meant our depth in the backline was gone. Yep, we won two more grand finals but I think if we had sustained periods without Balta, Broad and Astbury in 2019 and 2020 we'd have seen the same as we are seeing now.
We may well be buggered this year and a lack of depth in the tall backs is showing but come next year I think we can bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back