Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Seth Campbell

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Ben Miller

Votes: 20 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t been going to as many games this year.
Yesterday I went and was gobsmacked at how poor Cumberland was.
He reminds of Alex Sexton pre-Dimma days at the Suns.
Good for a goal or even three but does absolutely nothing else.
His opponent seemed to be where the ball was coming in and he was chasing 3 metres behind

I haven’t been going to as many games this year.
Yesterday I went and was gobsmacked at how poor Cumberland was.
He reminds of Alex Sexton pre-Dimma days at the Suns.
Good for a goal or even three but does absolutely nothing else.
That sounds more like Sam Lloyd. Though he was usually stoned so at least had an excuse....

Watson and Ginnivan did ok for the Hawks. The hawks foot skills through the midfield and into the forward line was elite. That and their speed was difference. I do think we need a mobile third tall in the forward line. Bauer is probably the most likely.
theyre not defensive smalls. we employ small forwards to tackle and harass with goals being a bonus. they field smalls to kick goals (and draw free kicks).

we had all the issues you mentioned, but im just sick of getting this same result with our forward line regardless of oppo.

remember when media was froffin over carltoon finals crowd last year

we just pulled more from 17th spot 🤣🤣🤣
Same as we had for the GWS prelim in 2017.
Absolutely amazing crowd.

Their ball movement is amazing. Just got home from the game.
They are also very well coached. Everyone knows their role and they stick to it.
I think finals is beyond them this year, but they’ll plays finals next year.
For us I liked Ralphsmith and Campbell. Campbell in particular has some real tools that others just don’t have. Another 40 games into him and he will be very good.
Credit where credits due.Ralphsmith has improved this year.

Also, say what you want, but with the quality of ball coming in, I thought Kozi did well today.
Not saying he cost us the game.But that miss from 20 out was like your hanging onto dear life off a cliff and the final thread on the rope breaks.

theyre not defensive smalls. we employ small forwards to tackle and harass with goals being a bonus. they field smalls to kick goals (and draw free kicks).

we had all the issues you mentioned, but im just sick of getting this same result with our forward line regardless of oppo.
Cumberland is the only attacking small forward we have and he is bagged week in week out.

High slow and on his head. Our midfield kicked the same way to Lynch and he got beaten too. But let’s all blame Cumberland

It’s not just what Cumbo does or doesn’t do. Don’t you get it? It’s his complete lack of any game awareness or footy IQ.. He constantly gets outmarked and his opponent constantly dominates the backline. He almost never provides any sort of aerial contest to bring the ball to ground - he either gets outmarked or remains at ground level and doesn’t even compete - do you not see this? So life as a forward for the Tigers in 2024 is bloody tough, I get that. But Cumbo is just a lost puppy dog out there.

I hope he plays remainder of season, as we need goal kickers and I’m hopeful he can develop his game and become a more rounded player. But I fear his complete lack of anything outside natural footy instinct will cost him his career.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I love Jack, but my thoughts exactly. If he asked three less questions it would've been okay, and to bring up his dad was poor form.
I thought the same to be honest but I assumed that Jack would have told Dusty what the questions were before the game.

Cumberland is the only attacking small forward we have and he is bagged week in week out.
He's hard done by Cumbo. Need him to be that attacking forward and at the same time be accountable for a much taller intercepting defender. Need Bauer in to take an interceptor so Cumbo's getting the 4th best defender so he can go to work offensively.

It’s not just what Cumbo does or doesn’t do. Don’t you get it? It’s his complete lack of any game awareness or footy IQ.. He constantly gets outmarked and his opponent constantly dominates the backline. He almost never provides any sort of aerial contest to bring the ball to ground - he either gets outmarked or remains at ground level and doesn’t even compete - do you not see this? So life as a forward for the Tigers in 2024 is bloody tough, I get that. But Cumbo is just a lost puppy dog out there.

I hope he plays remainder of season, as we need goal kickers and I’m hopeful he can develop his game and become a more rounded player. But I fear his complete lack of anything outside natural footy instinct will cost him his career.

Agree I was 50:50 on him and wanted to see him get games for rest of season but after watching him live yesterday he is lost his opponent taking easy marks and running off him
I’m sorry but don’t think he will make it long term hope I’m proved wrong but he has a long long way to go to convince me

The best thing about today was the crowd turnout for Dustys 300 game, he felt the love

2nd best thing today I got to talk to Saint Francis
i had to settle for Disco Roach.

Yep, I love Jack, but my thoughts exactly. If he asked three less questions it would've been okay, and to bring up his dad was poor form.

Tough school … he’s interviewing a guy who gives you nothing. He can’t just ask 2 x questions and then say thanks.

List of Obersations

1. Short taking the kick outs has to be the most emotionally sapping experience of the night. A player who has built his reputation based on creative ball use, leather poisoning with a ripper foot, takes the dinky 15 metre sideways pass over to Ben Miller all night. Disgraceful. Know your strengths, he's not at the defence to man up Chol. He's there to get creative and clear the defensive zone. Couldn't do it.

2. Kicking 'down the line', it was hell on earth. Once the Hawks got the ball to ground, their speed, run and carry and creativity absolutely burned us. The way their ball carrier would delay, wait for the tackler/s to approach, then release the free man happened 100 times. They have trained for it, this is a midfield group that are putting 100 games together against a wierd ass LA Lakers line up with Kobe, Steve Nash and a bunch of bums. We're lucky it wasn't a 100 point loss. The scoreboard flattered us.

3. Tyler Sonsie needs to be either delisted or sent to the VFL. This is a player who doesn't know how to attack with the ball. He was repeatedly in the forward half, ball in hand, slowing the game down, waiting for the Hawks to congest the backline. Had no idea, would proceed to hit up another player 30 metres sideways or ahead, he took too long. Decision making is slow, safe and detrimental to the team. Can't score on the rebound if Tyler decides to wait for the Hawks to flood back and man up.

4. Thomson Dow does have some strengths, he can get the ball. He needs coaching on disposal, which isn't being addressed. Either handball it to a better ball user, or kick it to a contest. He would dump kick directly for turnovers, his handball in the middle to a Hawks player was horrific. He needs to be dropped and must work on his possessions. He is killing us.

5. Cumberland's aerial attack on the ball is worse than many of us keyboard warriors. He is not competitive. To the point where he isn't at afl level.

6. Dusty can't play midfield anymore, the youth of other teams are too fast, he needs to be permanent mid forward now. I want the ball in his head to hit a forward 50 target. He shouldn't be a midfield rotation anymore. Not being used to his strengths. Bad coaching from Yze.

7. Miller should not be having 13 marks, he is a key back, he is not a player we flow our rebounding attack through. The amount of times short, vlastuin, Broad kicked to him was incredibly frustrating. Hawks would have been laughing at this.

8. Seth Campbell getting better and better every week, it's a joy to watch him on the wing, he is making the position his own.

9. Rioli is still creative, breaks the lines and damaging.

10. Taranto is not a good ball user, but a great ball winner and great set shot. Needs someone with class to pass too.

11. Kosi was okay. Lynch was cooked, needs a few weeks.

Lastly, the continuity of our team is concerning, these guys looked like a group of men who never play together. It was yuck to watch. Back to the fundamentals, also, if the switch is there, use it, Hawks knew we were kicking down the line.

Out - sonsie, Dow
In - prestia, Hopper
Sub - cumbo (let McAllife start)
Very good summary , but JGTI escaped the wrath .

Last edited:
I was so pissed off yesterday, genuinely felt sick.

Our players are undersized and poor in the air. We can't persist with a bunch of <180cm defensive forwards orbiting Lynch/Kosi. It's a legacy of the Dimma era and it simply doesn't work anymore. Need forwards that can compete in the air and at least make intercept defenders accountable. There's no point having small defensive forwards if their opponents just mark the ball and run off them. They barely touch the ball in 2 hours and provide nothing defensively.
The constant rebounds out of our forward line must've been morale crushing for everyone up the ground.

HRS and Kmac basically the only midfielders capable of providing an aerial contest. Everyone else out marked time and time again by their direct opponents. Was embarrassing.

Bring in Blight, Bauer and Trezise. Some of our strongest marks sitting in the 2's makes no sense.
Blight and Miller could be a formidable fb/chb defensive combo. Just let it evolve.

I'd move Broad and Bauer to half forward so they can push up and provide marking options.
I’d even play Gray as a Forward / Ruck. Was impressive in the VFL yesterday in that role.

Back