Autopsy Round 1 2019: Hawks defeats the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

About 200-300 goals clear of Breust and Wingard at the minute mate. He's even kicked more than Boomer despite playing for about eight seasons less haha (conceding that Harvey played a really different position). He'll rightly go down as one of the greatest ever small forwards no matter how much you agree to disagree with it.

Oppo detractors also say that Breust mainly kicks cheap, easy goals, and they're equally misguided.
Breust is on pace to match Eddie if he keeps his career averages for as long. Eddie has a good 100 games on him

I don't care what anyone says Betts has kicked a lot of goals, just because Stratts has his measure doesn't mean he's not a great player

Why are posters bashing Eddie Betts? He's kicked over 550 goals playing as a small forward, and most of his career he was a bottom feeding Carlton. That an all-time great small forward effort.

He was cooked last year, so there's not much point rubbishing him now. He's at the end of his career.
Yeah I agree. He’s been an awesome player and he seems like a good dude as well. You can see the genuine respect he and Stratts have for each other even though Stratts always works him like a puppet 😂

DABD4931-B040-4C93-B465-B48D85C9A5F4.gif

About 200-300 goals clear of Breust and Wingard at the minute mate. He's even kicked more than Boomer despite playing for about eight seasons less haha (conceding that Harvey played a really different position). He'll rightly go down as one of the greatest ever small forwards no matter how much you agree to disagree with it.

Oppo detractors also say that Breust mainly kicks cheap, easy goals, and they're equally misguided.

He may very well be, but regardless it's a moot point because they're not downhill skiers like your good mate Eddie.

Hell, I can't even remember the last time I even witnessed him put his body on the line.

Yes they're all small forwards but are also totally different, he isn't half the player of any of the above mentioned.

So you're saying that you'd rather Eddie as opposed to any of our small forwards then?

Hope that you enjoyed the game mate.

Is there any truth to the Crows supporters abusing and booing their own players at the end of quarter breaks at all?

I didn’t see/hear it but we where in a predominant hawk area, our support was massive in Adelaide today, couldn’t believe how many we had travel over.

Breust is on pace to match Eddie if he keeps his career averages for as long. Eddie has a good 100 games on him

I don't care what anyone says Betts has kicked a lot of goals, just because Stratts has his measure doesn't mean he's not a great player
Betts is fantastic, just because Franklin got held by certain players doesn't mean he wasn't the best forward of the past 20 years, that's just being a forward. I don't really think there's a clear best small forward including Milne, past era they are all equally valuable, but if people think it's Betts that's fine with me, just makes Stratts look better!

He may very well be, but regardless it's a moot point because they're not downhill skiers like your good mate Eddie.

Hell, I can't even remember the last time I even witnessed him put his body on the line.

Yes they're all small forwards but are also totally different, he isn't half the player of any of the above mentioned.

So you're saying that you'd rather Eddie as opposed to any of our small forwards then?
No I'd just rather the extra goals... and mountain of goal assists.

This is a really silly argument, but then it was a really silly comment. Especially as every criticism you have of Betts is one that others have levelled at Breust and Rioli. If you were a Crows supporter, you'd think your argument was ridiculous. Let's just get back to talking about our own team and the win without needing to rubbish the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are posters bashing Eddie Betts? He's kicked over 550 goals playing as a small forward, and most of his career he was at bottom feeding Carlton. That an all-time great small forward effort.

He was cooked last year, so there's not much point rubbishing him now. He's at the end of his career.

He’s a really good fella too, had the pleasure of running into him at my local in Brunswick 5 or so years ago and was happy to have a chat

In his prime Eddie was a machine. Was never a real pressure forward but IMO the only player capable of matching the magic Rioli could produce consistently. Would consistently produce the impossible. He's somewhat overrated now, but still a good crafty player that if given the chance can destroy teams. Luckily, we've always had Ben Stratton who shuts him down better than anybody else. He's always had little to no influence in our games thanks to our captain.

Bruest works harder than any small forward - he tackles, pressures and while he's capable of the exceptional often it's his smart footy brain and toughness that produces goals. Poppy similar. Wingard has the magic that few have, but it was really only seen consistently in his earlier seasons. Port couldn't get the best out of him. I have no doubt Clarko is hoping we can help him reach his potential.

Right now I'd take Bruest/Wingard over Betts. In his prime I would've taken Betts in a heartbeat. Despite the comparisons all three are currently in the top 5 for the best small forwards in the comp, and I think with proper guidance Wings can propel himself into the number one spot. If a fit Rioli was still playing we possibly could have had the top 3 in the entire comp (and Poppy is handy too!).

I love the people saying Betts isn't that good or he's a downhill skier, really shows the people that have no idea.

He was legit playing on one of the best 'small' defenders in the comp today & the Adelaide delivery was horrible.

Eddie Betts is easily in the top 3 small forwards in the comp.
The best 3 small forwards are greene, breust and de goey. Betts ain't anywhere near the top 5 let alone top 3

I didn’t see/hear it but we where in a predominant hawk area, our support was massive in Adelaide today, couldn’t believe how many we had travel over.

Can't have been that bad then.

Great to hear that you were surrounded by the brown and gold family and it sounds like you had a good time as well.

Let's hope that we get another big turn out next week against the doggies.

Have a great night but stay safe and watch out for those feral locals.

Hey guys, just curious what you all thought of the guernsey worn by the Hawks?
I really liked it, it was a very classic look. I liked the Hawk logo on it, too.

Absolutely love it mate, thanks for the feedback and hopefully we keep it for a while.

Is easily our best away guernsey for quite some time.

Good luck for tomorrow mate.

After the crows, port & Collingwood, Hawthorn has the next highest level of support over here. Heaps of local members all over the hill & within the cheer squad.

There were plenty of us today & we made plenty of noise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 2019: Hawks defeats the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back