Autopsy Round 1 2019: Hawks defeats the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really like Hawthorn, but drinks are on me tonight. :devil:
Death riding draft picks has made neutral games more interesting that's for sure.

WTF was with Betts sitting on Stratton?

Is it just me or is that disrespectful AF?

Imagine the melts if the situation had happened the other way around.

I don't get all the frothing over Betts, overrated AF and isn't half the player Breust is yet gets a million times more love.
Mate he's inside the top 50 all time goal kickers as a small forward and the majority have been pretty bloody spectacular. That's a head scratcher of a comment.

You are spot on with #3. That cost us a lot of momentum. If we can be a little better with our hands, and a little better in front of goals, we will definitely contend for the big cheese this year.

I don't necessarily think the fumbling problem is exclusive to us. There were plenty of fumbles in all the games played so far, which should fade as all the players blow out the offseason cobwebs. We do need to improve our goalkicking though.

I don't necessarily think the fumbling problem is exclusive to us. There were plenty of fumbles in all the games played so far, which should fade as all the players blow out the offseason cobwebs. We do need to improve our goalkicking though.

This is round 1. The very last thing you want to see is Grand Final football. What you want to see is endeavour, some improvement in younger players, steady form from senior ones, and hopefully come out with the 4 points. We achieved everything we needed to for a round 1 game, now it's up to us to slowly build on today as the season progresses.

The problem with these so called experts is they still don't comprehend that whilst we have the greatest coach of the modern era you can never really know how we are going to go. Especially when we still have alot of talent in the team from the glory years. Instead of completing drawing a line through us saying we're no good your better off sitting on the fence, at least than you won't look like a complete idiot if we end up finishing in the 8. They never learn.

I was ok with JOM running through 50 and having a shot. Did miss that one but put 2 away as well. I hate how many forward forays we've blown over the years when we've been streaming towards goal then fluff a short chip pass. Back yourselves and slam them home.

Edit: proviso being that someone isn't wide open and in a better position. But give the pass to a 50/50, 60/40 a miss.... especially if lacing them out isn't your thing.

That’s the thing though - both times he had free players unmarked closer to goal. Still it’s nitpicking - he kicked it when it counted

Mate he's inside the top 50 all time goal kickers as a small forward and the majority have been pretty bloody spectacular. That's a head scratcher of a comment.
He was good but he is going downhill now, will pop up with a few cameos but won't be as consistent as he was. Also hates playing us we give him nightmares.

Tex shouldve been wearing cricket pads.

Honestly today I think we benefitted more from our on-field experience. With no runners delivering messages in play, and such low-scoring games with few breaks, it was a big help having Rough, Burgoyne, Stratton, Mirra, McEvoy, Smith and Shiels who are all very vocal, sharp and know the system. Crows had a lot of trouble working things out as a team.

I didn't mean on game day as such, just adding him to the coaching team overall. Clarko and Sammy, a pretty good combo IMO.

Well, it sure looks like that defensive structure we saw in the first half's of the JLT games is the real deal. The Hawks completely anticipated every Crows entry. It seemed they plucked about 40 intercept marks and were always putting a free man at Adelaide's point of attack. it was spectacular.

The forward line doesn't need anything but a pat on the back. Had they kicked straighter (which will soon come) then we would have won by 80.

Adelaide didn't get any momentum until late in the fourth quarter after the Hawk midfield started to real tire. This game plan is very demanding on the midfield. They have to run both ways and be mentally switched on 100% of the time. Hawthorn were rotating like mad and used far more interchanges than Adelaide despite the Crows being down two men. I expect we'll see the bookends playing very high game time percentages while the rotations are kept overwhelmingly for the mids.

But a great game. Great effort. Great teamwork. But most importantly a great game plan.

Well, it sure looks like that defensive structure we saw in the first half's of the JLT games is the real deal. The Hawks completely anticipated every Crows entry. It seemed they plucked about 40 intercept marks and were always putting a free man at Adelaide's point of attack. it was spectacular.

The forward line doesn't need anything but a pat on the back. Had they kicked straighter (which will soon come) then we would have won by 80.

Adelaide didn't get any momentum until late in the fourth quarter after the Hawk midfield started to real tire. This game plan is very demanding on the midfield. They have to run both ways and be mentally switched on 100% of the time. Hawthorn were rotating like mad and used far more interchanges than Adelaide despite the Crows being down two men. I expect we'll see the bookends playing very high game time percentages while the rotations are kept overwhelmingly for the mids.

But a great game. Great effort. Great teamwork. But most importantly a great game plan.
It’s great to see your posts again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I want to quote myself from earlier this week as it pretty much all came to pass.

Too much doom and gloom in here.

We’ll give this a shout.

Gibbs goes to water more often than not, as does Sloane when Howe has sat on him.

Let’s see if they can contain our forwards.

In regards to Mirra being a concern.
No it’s not, mate.

We don’t rate Walker. Never have.
Once again we see why Clarkson think Tex is a spud.

And then halfway through the 2nd today I pretty much posted my autopsy thoughts as I was about to head out....
I’ve seen enough to suggest we’re going to be a pretty good side this year. Early call, I know, but our pressure combined with how well we are working together has me pretty excited about the level we can get to.

Our system looks spot on, and we will compete with pretty much all sides.

Especially once Wingard and Scully are available.

The problem with these so called experts is they still don't comprehend that whilst we have the greatest coach of the modern era you can never really know how we are going to go. Especially when we still have alot of talent in the team from the glory years. Instead of completing drawing a line through us saying we're no good your better off sitting on the fence, at least than you won't look like a complete idiot if we end up finishing in the 8. They never learn.

There is too much attention on the individuals.
They can't see the forest for the tree's.

The most pleasing part for me was that it was the younger guys that carried this performance today. Worpel, Sic, JOM, Impey for a start.

We have won a lot of games over the last decade but the wins I enjoy the most are the ones where nobody gives us a chance. Absolutely over the moon with todays performance.

Dare I say it I think the speach from the godfather of Hawthorn during the week made an impression. The chasing and pressure was awesome.

How the hell did Worpel fall to pick 45?!!!

This is precisely why the lazy 'they're getting old' talk annoys me. No one seems to realise that the old guys are the icing now

I think I want to quote myself from earlier this week as it pretty much all came to pass.

And then halfway through the 2nd today I pretty much posted my autopsy thoughts as I was about to head out....
It’s not all about you Abasi. You should be quoting one of my ten posts on the first page of my Kane Cornes thread

Agree to disagree mate, I just think he loves a cheap goal and doesn't put in a whole lot of effort anywhere else.

I would take a Chad Wingard or Luke Breust before him any day of the week.

Hell mate I would have taken Boomer Harvey over him as well.

Each to their own and think we're both grown up enough to allow each other an opinion.

It’s not all about you Abasi. You should be quoting one of my ten posts on the first page of my Kane Cornes thread
It’s only early.

No you're meant to quote yourself

Even though you like the sound of your own voice you are a good analyst Abasi.... :drunk::thumbsu:

I said it early in the week the crows don't bother me, they lack real spine and fabric. We won because our structure defensively was to good and our intensity was consistently higher, it was a great effort.

I actually sat next to Crows legend Greg Anderson today, he was in the hawk suite.. ripper bloke actually, said Clarko was the best footy mind he's ever seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 2019: Hawks defeats the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back