Game Day Round 1 2022: Crows vs Dockers, 20.3.2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Re Sholl and the “mental health” comment. He has good skills and can find the footy. Positive stuff. He’s soft and this makes him a liability. Better? I don’t think he’ll be in the side long term with such glaring deficiencies. People were happy to tee off on Atkins but Sholl is protected? Right.

This aged well. One of our best today and a lock moving forward

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

McHenry is not a footballer.
He was in our top 5 players in my opinion today, has creativity in his game and is the only player that almost always puts the ball in front for the leading forward to lead into. As for Jones he's just meh to me, takes up a position on the ground but what value does he bring, has some speed but rarely uses it to advantage as he is like a lost Deer in headlights. He rarely provides any run out of the back half or takes the game on . I would play Will Hamill in that position every day of the week

Said that Fog didn't impact the game enough
Look, that's probably true - best part of his game was how he kept his endeavour and pressure up when he wasn't taking grabs or getting clean possession.

I guess it depends whether you think that's still impacting the game.

He was in our top 5 players in my opinion today, has creativity in his game and is the only player that almost always puts the ball in front for the leading forward to lead into. As for Jones he's just meh to me, takes up a position on the ground but what value does he bring, has some speed but rarely uses it to advantage as he is like a lost Deer in headlights. He rarely provides any run out of the back half or takes the game on . I would play Will Hamill in that position every day of the week

Top 5 is a big call for McHenry. Was instrumental in the third, but beyond that was quiet. Hard to say anything more than did his role, but it is worth noting it was his small forward cohorts day (seeing I'd have both Rowe and Rachele in our best 5 on ground).

I wasn't upset at all after the game, didn't think we really deserved the win and would have stolen it as you said. What I enjoyed most was the fightback and not capitulating like a few games last year (GWS and Essendon standout).
I think most of us feel similar

But it got me thinking last night:
Does that mean we've (the fans) become conditioned to losing? Winning a pleasant surprise rather than expectation, happy with the effort.

Does this acceptance extend beyond us fans into the club itself? Good effort, we're young, give us a year or two etc.

Is this acceptance stage the type of malaise that sets in at clubs like Carlton and you're still rebuilding decades later? A perpetual state of always being a year or two off.

Does there need to be some level of urgency or will being patient like we are pay dividends?

I like a lot of the young players on our list but Carlton fans would have felt the same way about their players 15, 12, 9, 6, 3... years ago too.

Top 5 is a big call for McHenry. Was instrumental in the third, but beyond that was quiet. Hard to say anything more than did his role, but it is worth noting it was his small forward cohorts day (seeing I'd have both Rowe and Rachele in our best 5 on ground).

Nah. Sloane was 5th-best, according to the AFL website! Unbelievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't watch the game yesterday. Watching the replay now.

Q1
Boy, we are a poor kicking team

At least we're trying to pass the ball rather than bomb however. Right intent, just ****ed up almost every single kick.

Need to have the courage to not select the players who can't execute though, rather than allow them to survive by bombing

Q1

At least we're trying to pass the ball rather than bomb however. Right intent, just f’ed up almost every single kick.

Need to have the courage to not select the players who can't execute though, rather than allow them to survive by bombing

It's a pretty hard watch for the first half

Q1

At least we're trying to pass the ball rather than bomb however. Right intent, just f’ed up almost every single kick.

Felt like we completely went into our shells in the 2nd because of how bad we were kicking in the 1st and there was just zero movement out of the back half. 22 players just standing still wanting to have the ball kicked to them like a game of marks up. Made easy pickings for Freo to pick off when we'd have ROB and Rowe/McHenry/Rachele at the pack and they'd put Treacy/Pearce.

Sholl coming on was huge though cause he was one of the few who looked to actually try and create some run from half-back. Then throwing Dawson back on top of it meant we had someone who nailed some precision passing that opened up the ground for us. Does make the interesting conundrum of what to do with Dawson next week. Obviously didn't recruit him to play half back, but he did so well there and took some decent grabs too.

MacPherson getting injured was a stroke of luck as it forced us to use Sholl. We immediately looked better.

I think it's going to take some time figuring out where to play Dawson, and for him to get used to playing at a new club in a new role. We also have Milera working his way back into playing a similar role, not to mention Seedsman if/when we see him again.

I don't see the point of Himmelberg if he's not going to be our second ruck. If RT handles that role we should really play Sloane as a mobile marking forward to solve two problems. He's very good overhead and a much better kick at goal than field kick. He's more mobile and much better defensively. You can't really play him anywhere else - he looked a yard slower than the pace of the game in the midfield.

This is a replay where I will watch the 2nd half only. Trying to delete the 1st from memory.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately that would align with club philosophy. Focus on the bits where we played our way, positive reinforcement, that's how you improve. Bad results are events, not trends.

Felt like we completely went into our shells in the 2nd because of how bad we were kicking in the 1st and there was just zero movement out of the back half. 22 players just standing still wanting to have the ball kicked to them like a game of marks up. Made easy pickings for Freo to pick off when we'd have ROB and Rowe/McHenry/Rachele at the pack and they'd put Treacy/Pearce.

Sholl coming on was huge though cause he was one of the few who looked to actually try and create some run from half-back. Then throwing Dawson back on top of it meant we had someone who nailed some precision passing that opened up the ground for us. Does make the interesting conundrum of what to do with Dawson next week. Obviously didn't recruit him to play half back, but he did so well there and took some decent grabs too.

Happy to keep the experiment going for a bit but I think the reason Dawson turned worthwhile when moved out of the middle was due to the most obvious of available reasons.

I think most of us feel similar

But it got me thinking last night:
Does that mean we've (the fans) become conditioned to losing? Winning a pleasant surprise rather than expectation, happy with the effort.

Does this acceptance extend beyond us fans into the club itself? Good effort, we're young, give us a year or two etc.

Is this acceptance stage the type of malaise that sets in at clubs like Carlton and you're still rebuilding decades later? A perpetual state of always being a year or two off.

Does there need to be some level of urgency or will being patient like we are pay dividends?

I like a lot of the young players on our list but Carlton fans would have felt the same way about their players 15, 12, 9, 6, 3... years ago too.

After begging our club to go full rebuild for over a decade - surely you aren't getting cold feet after less than 2 seasons?

After begging our club to go full rebuild for over a decade - surely you aren't getting cold feet after less than 2 seasons?
I'm not sure I've ever called for a rebuild

Just to stop picking shit footballers who guarantee ultimate failure. Which pleasingly we seem to be now doing.

Having said that, how do we tell the difference in the early stages between a rebound-rebuild and a decades-in-the-doldrums rebuild?

Could we have won with the team we put out there on Sunday?

I'm not sure I've ever called for a rebuild

Just to stop picking sh*t footballers who guarantee ultimate failure. Which pleasingly we seem to be now doing.

Having said that, how do we tell the difference in the early stages between a rebound-rebuild and a decades-in-the-doldrums rebuild?

Could we have won with the team we put out there on Sunday?
I think the most sensible answer to this is there isn’t one. People always forget you’re dealing in human beings and there’s just no mathematical equation that = a top finish. it’s more likely with more games played of course. But that 1st Hawks side wasn’t that experienced.

Melbourne purring now but how many goes did it take to get right combination? Richmond the same. Remember they took Tambling! I don’t think you can talk about a rebuild in finite terms. Early picks no guarantee. Injuries, personalities, personal lives, salary cap - all contribute to a footy team - any team from AFL to country.

Personally think this Crows squad tracking pretty well, played some excellent football in parts. But you just don’t know who might Bob up and drive them to top. He might not even be there yet - no point trying to apply any science or maths to it I don’t think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Round 1 2022: Crows vs Dockers, 20.3.2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back