Game Day Round 1 2022: Crows vs Dockers, 20.3.2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to stop picking sh*t footballers who guarantee ultimate failure. Which pleasingly we seem to be now doing.

Ha ha ha. Shit footballers don't have an impact on premiership teams - its all about how dominant the top 5 players are and the quality of players 6-15.

As to how to tell the difference if this is rebound-rebuild or a decades-in-the-doldrums rebuild - if you can figure that out then there is a lot of money to be made at club level in the AFL.

Our list right now is a clean slate full of hope. I doubt even the club has any idea of where we will be in 2 years.

I think most of us feel similar

But it got me thinking last night:
Does that mean we've (the fans) become conditioned to losing? Winning a pleasant surprise rather than expectation, happy with the effort.

Does this acceptance extend beyond us fans into the club itself? Good effort, we're young, give us a year or two etc.

Is this acceptance stage the type of malaise that sets in at clubs like Carlton and you're still rebuilding decades later? A perpetual state of always being a year or two off.

Does there need to be some level of urgency or will being patient like we are pay dividends?

I like a lot of the young players on our list but Carlton fans would have felt the same way about their players 15, 12, 9, 6, 3... years ago too.
I guess - do you want to rush it and get the job half done? Isn't that what we normally complain about? Do we want to quickly be competitive, or are we building long term?

I think it's okay to feel positive when positive things are being shown. We don't need to steal a win - it's okay to have a loss if we've been truly competitive and we have trusted the kids with responsibility.

I think most of us feel similar

But it got me thinking last night:
Does that mean we've (the fans) become conditioned to losing? Winning a pleasant surprise rather than expectation, happy with the effort.

Does this acceptance extend beyond us fans into the club itself? Good effort, we're young, give us a year or two etc.

Is this acceptance stage the type of malaise that sets in at clubs like Carlton and you're still rebuilding decades later? A perpetual state of always being a year or two off.

Does there need to be some level of urgency or will being patient like we are pay dividends?

I like a lot of the young players on our list but Carlton fans would have felt the same way about their players 15, 12, 9, 6, 3... years ago too.

Is there ever a point where a clubs supporters doesn't like a lot of their young players? To be fair on that point, hitting the draft hard for two-three years, a team has enough talent to at least mould into a top four team with proper development (unless their drafting is thinking Boekhurst is a pick 20 garbage).

The thing with failed rebuilds is there isn't a one size fits all to the failure. Take Carlton (and Melborurne) for example, they panicked. Look at Carlton trading/DFAs in the two years prior to pulling the plug on Bolton: Lobbe, Lang, Setterfield, Newman, McGovern, Mullett and Fasolo. That's a team that has no plan whatsoever and desperately trying to get to mid table (and that's been Carltons M.O. for 20 years). Melbourne and it's a similar story between 2011--2012, lots of mediocre types with limited upside coming into the club from other sides to try to win now.

Another form has been the Brisbane/Gold Coast failures where they've lost the core of players they're building around to other clubs in quick succession (+ forms of a toxic atmosphere around the club). That's probably a more likely way Adelaide fails, though at the moment we haven't had too many issues convincing our important young lads to resign.

Others like Saints etc just didn't develop from a promising start. The key there would be getting the right people involved on the off-field side.

I don't think the "acceptance" on a fan side matters at all. As long as the players are statistically trending upwards, they're not getting woo'ed and the club doesn't seem to be panicking, a rebuild is likely in an ok position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Round 1 2022: Crows vs Dockers, 20.3.2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back