Round 1 - Richmond vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's not get carried away now. An elite player at his peak, but one of the best of this generation? I don't think so.
Well let's just put it this way, if Chris Judd is, then Ben Cousins is.;)
The issue is what sort of quality will you get from his last 1-2 years. It's not going to be great, the guy is 31 years old now.
Actually he is 30 and 8 months, so WRONG!:)
And he's taking the spot of a young developing midfielder potentially, in your senior team. Is it worth it? 15 other clubs said it wasn't.
He isn't really taking the spot of a young developing midfielder, we were going to pick up Robin Nahas with that PSD pick, instead we got him in the Rookie Draft, we also managed to pick up another 4 rookies, 1 more than we had last year, so no, I wouldn't say it is taking up a spot.:)

There are still 21 other spots in the senior team, and if that 'young developing midfielder' can't make it in front of at least half them, then why would they be better off in front of Cousins?:)
How about drafting a young midfielder like Ziebell instead and playing him round 1 instead of another 30+ year old. You need to think beyond round 1. Cousin's is only at the Tiges because he had no other choice. It was Richmond or nothing. :)
Because we NEEDED A RUCKMAN! Drafting another midfielder to add to the already blue-chip midfield and midfield depth we have would have been a stupid move, we just drafted Cotchin last year and have drafted YOUNG midfielders of the likes of Deledio, Tambling, Connors, Edwards, Polo in the last few years, and we also traded for the YOUNG tough nut inside midfielder of Adam Thomson and we took a punt on the previously highly rated and YOUNG Tom Hislop to add to our miriad of other up and comers, sure Ziebell has been good so far in the NAB cup, but that is no sign of what he will do once the big thing starts, we needed a young Ruckman, and we got the best one available(Bar Natanui).:)

We needed a ruckman who will come through in the next few years and eventually take over Simmonds, Vickery will play senior football this year, and if you want to read The Age tomorrow you will see we are thinking of blooding a YOUNG 18yo 205cm, 104kg ruckman Andrew Browne to play against your mob.:)

BTP, go watch the first quarter and a half again.

Also, it was Brown that screwed up when the game was there to be won. 6 behinds...

a) Moved off of him after the first quarter and was given stints in the centre.

b) 6 behinds, about 3 of which were taken from outside fifty or an angle greater than 45-50 degrees, and all of which you assume he would've kicked as well. Please. :rolleyes: Before you tell me he's a beautiful kick, he kicks at less than 60% accuracy, and it would be a stretch to think he would've kicked all 6, which still wouldn't have seen you win the match. Your logic is ultimately flawed.

Excuses. The fact is you didn't have the list talent to match the Blues midfield in the last quarter. Game over. Foley was benched after his opponent Stevens took control, Deledio got 3 goals kicked on him by Gibbs, Tuck was way out of his league and benched, and the embarrassing run-down of King was just icing on the birthday cake. THAT was the last 30 minutes when these 2 teams met. The question is, have the Tiges actually improved their list since then? Looks much the same. :)

1) What exactly is the filth you spit out then?

2) Wrong again.

3) We'll see this Thursday.

a) Moved off of him after the first quarter and was given stints in the centre.

b) 6 behinds, about 3 of which were taken from outside fifty or an angle greater than 45-50 degrees, and all of which you assume he would've kicked as well. Please. :rolleyes: Before you tell me he's a beautiful kick, he kicks at less than 60% accuracy, and it would be a stretch to think he would've kicked all 6, which still wouldn't have seen you win the match. Your logic is ultimately flawed.

Being ahead by 35 points puts much more of a damper on the opposition than being ahead by 10 points.

Being ahead by 35 points puts much more of a damper on the opposition than being ahead by 10 points.

Try telling that to Carlton F.C. players, especially in the wake of Rd11, Rd12, Rd17 and Rd21. Not to mention the fact that Richmond were never trailing by 35 points, nor by a margin greater than the winning margin at any point in that match.

Anyhow enough of this, I believe you should have had enough of outsmarting yourself.

How can Carlton win themselves this match, Danog? Or by your logic how can Richmond lose it?

Got a bad feeling about this one...Richmond have a lot better forward options and our defence isnt that great at the moment. Fev will need to have a big game for us to win this one and going by his pre-season form it isnt out of the question.
Judd is a huge factor...round 1 last year he was extremely unfit so he didnt have a good game and for the second game he didnt even play and we still won...so its hard to say what impact he will have.

We have played really well during the pre season barring the freo game which has made me doubt us. Its only a pre season game but losing to freo at any time with a full team is a bad sign.

Its very very close but im going to pick Richmond....only because we get way to far ahead of ourselfs only to be let down almost every year... hoping im wrong.

The issue is what sort of quality will you get from his last 1-2 years. It's not going to be great, the guy is 31 years old now. And he's taking the spot of a young developing midfielder potentially, in your senior team. Is it worth it? 15 other clubs said it wasn't. How about drafting a young midfielder like Ziebell instead and playing him round 1 instead of another 30+ year old. You need to think beyond round 1. Cousin's is only at the Tiges because he had no other choice. It was Richmond or nothing. :)

This just shows how baised you're and how you look past the facts. We needed a ruckman, we took Vickery. Why would we take Ziebell? Carlton took Yarran who can't even get a game infront of a rookie foward. Carlton should of taken Ziebell as he can play the same role but better and you're already filthy about it.

I hope you keep posting dribble just like year year because it will be all the more funny if you lose come Thursday night. :)

Let's not get carried away now. An elite player at his peak, but one of the best of this generation? I don't think so.

Mate he is definately one of the best of his generation...i think his career stats back that up...and plus i remember Mike Sheahan's Top 50 all time players and Cousins slotted in around at about 45 for memory....which kinda hints towards one of the great players of all time.

cheers

This just shows how baised you're and how you look past the facts. We needed a ruckman, we took Vickery. Why would we take Ziebell? Carlton took Yarran who can't even get a game infront of a rookie foward. Carlton should of taken Ziebell as he can play the same role but better and you're already filthy about it.

I hope you keep posting dribble just like year year because it will be all the more funny if you lose come Thursday night. :)

Its not only Parrot that is talking dribble its every Carlton fan going around hahaha. Bring on Thursday oh were from tigerland.

Mate he is definately one of the best of his generation...i think his career stats back that up...and plus i remember Mike Sheahan's Top 50 all time players and Cousins slotted in around at about 45 for memory....which kinda hints towards one of the great players of all time.

cheers

Well, if Mike Sheahan reckons... Nah, i actually agree with you 100% - at his peak, Cousins was better than Judd at West Coast and there's no doubt he's one of the best of his generation. It's easy to overlook it given what's happened since, but I always thought it then so can't really change my tune now we've got Juddy.

Having said all that, there are doubts over Cousins - 31yo with suspect hammys. All the best to the guy, but if he's more than just an extra cog rather than the main man, you guys will be in strife. I'd be putting more eggs in the Lids basket...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond have a reasonably talented, deep and settled defense who should have the better of what could be a very ordinary looking Carlton forward line, selection pending.

Is it possible that they could have a half forward line of Fisher, Cloke and Houlihan?

Throw in a Rookie debutant and Eddie Betts... well Fevola better be 100 percent and have his kicking boots on.

Mate he is definately one of the best of his generation...i think his career stats back that up...and plus i remember ....

You're living in the past. He'll be 31 years old this season. Richmond rely on the oldest player in the AFL to kick a winning score, and now rely on a 31 yo former star celebrity in the middle. It's hardly a plan for the future. if the Tiges lose this one, the implications will be massive considering how many old players you're playing, because there's no room for improvement in these guys i.e. no upside. :)

Both sets of supporters have reason to be confident so someone will be disappointed.

I have to say you just have to love these calls .... 'if you think your team is going to win, you are delusional. I think my team will win'. There is a smidgen of hypocrisy in that call IMO.

OK well we needed a forward - we took the best available (in most experts minds not just Carltons Recruiter) - Yarran. We could of taken Ziebell - but he is more of a mid than a forward - and our midfield goes OK I think. Yarran has the potential to be a gun forward AND midfielder so could be a more complete player. At least thats what we hope. Just like you hope Vickery will be good. To suggest that we are "filthy" about Yarran is unsubstantiated. I also think its a little pre-emptive to state that Zieball "plays the same role but better". Lets give these kids some time to show their wares, before making such statements. Especially given their "experience" to date has been some time in the NAB Mickey Mouse Cup....

Anyway back to the game at hand..... and I don't think its going to be a blowout by any means for either side. I hope Carlton wins but Im not confident they will.....

You're living in the past. He'll be 31 years old this season. Richmond rely on the oldest player in the AFL to kick a winning score, and now rely on a 31 yo former star celebrity in the middle. It's hardly a plan for the future. if the Tiges lose this one, the implications will be massive considering how many old players you're playing, because there's no room for improvement in these guys i.e. no upside. :)
yeah, before season 2008. Not anymore

Interesting to see the poor old tigers pinning all their hopes on a 31 yr old druggie with dodgy hamstrings that hasn't played a full AFL game in 18 months .

I wonder if he will get spat upon when they lose ? :eek:

Last time the two sides met the Blues won very very comfortably without the great man Judd playing..while Stevens and Carrazzo will be a loss our ins should cover them enough to beat a pretty ordinary tigers outfit .

Interesting to see the poor old tigers pinning all their hopes on a 31 yr old druggie with dodgy hamstrings that hasn't played a full AFL game in 18 months .

I wonder if he will get spat upon when they lose ? :eek:

Last time the two sides met the Blues won very very comfortably without the great man Judd playing..while Stevens and Carrazzo will be a loss our ins should cover them enough to beat a pretty ordinary tigers outfit .
What happened Last time means **** all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 - Richmond vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back