Round 1 - Richmond vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know how Simpson is more consistent because he "drives his possessions long ...

I like Foley's attitude, but his kicking is poor, and has always been his Achilles'. By contrast Simmo is an awesome kick, and just a higher grade talent. Do you remember Foley's last 1/4 in the last Blues V Tiges game? He was benched half-way through the last after Stevens ripped him apart and won the game of his own boot. Let's put aside Judd, Stevens, Murph and Gibbs. I'd rate Simmo, Walker, Scotland, Robinson, and Grigg ahead of Foley. What the Tiges really need is 2-3 elite midfielders. Jack Ziebell would have been an ideal draft choice for the Tiges. Right now everything's resting on Cousins shoulders. :)

I like Foley's attitude, but his kicking is poor, and has always been his Achilles'. By contrast Simmo is an awesome kick, and just a higher grade talent. Do you remember Foley's last 1/4 in the last Blues V Tiges game? He was benched half-way through after the last Stevens ripped him apart and won the game of his own boot. Let's put aside Judd, Stevens, Murph and Gibbs. I'd rate Simmo, Walker, Scotland, Robinson, and Grigg ahead of Foley. What the Tiges really need is 2-3 elite midfielders. Jack Ziebell would have been an ideal draft choice for the Tiges. :)
Honestly you have to get over this whole "remember the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th quarter in the Tigers V Blues game?", because smart people don't base players on one quarter, we base them on whole seasons, years and careers, but while we're remembering, remember that game in Round 20 where Richmond beat the eventual Premiers by 29 points, and the same team we beat, beat your team by 78 points just 2 weeks later, remember that?:)

Richmond needed a ruckman to replace the already A grade Simmonds who will be retiring in 2-3 years, by then Vickery will be the next best ruckman in the league.:)

I'm sure Richmond were wishing that we could get the next Eddie Betts(Yarran) but Carlton were too smart there:p, and we got a player who will provide just as much, if not more use up forward in Nahas for a Rookie pick.:eek::)

Posted this on Carlton and Richmond Boards. Thought you might like it here.

Where: MCG
When: Thursday 7.40pm
Tickets: Fully Ticketed match, Limited seats remain.

Last time they met:
Richmond 2.7 7.9 10.13 12.16 (88) Def By.
Carlton 1.5 5.9 10.12 17.16 (118)
Hughes 3, Morton 3.
Fevola 4, Gibbs 3, Fisher 2, Betts 2

Ins and Outs over Pre-Season:
Carlton-
IN: Chris Johnson, Rhys O'Keeffe, Mitch Robinson, Caleb Tiller, Robert Warnock, Chris Yarran.
OUT: Cain Ackland, Clinton Benjamin, Luke Blackwell, Ryan Jackson, Aisake O'hailpin, Jason Saddigton

Note: Michael Jamison (upgraded) over offseason. Aaron Jospeh (nominated rookie) and Sam Jacobs(nominated rookie) all available for selection.

Richmond-
IN: Ben Cousins, Tom Hislop, Jayden Post, Adam Thompson, Tyrone Vickery.
OUT: Travis Casserly, Chris Hyde, Danny Meyer, Greg Tivendale.

Odds:
Carlton: $1.58
Richmond: $2.30
Tab Sportsbet

Missing in action (Rd 1):
Carlton: Andrew Carrazzo, Nick Stevens.
Richmond: Kane Johnson, Mark Coughlan, Trent Cotchin.

In Doubt:
Carlton: Brendan Fevola (bruised heel), Scotland (Fitness after many post season operations) Shuan Grigg (hamstring tightness) Andrew Walker (fitness after Shoulder Injury).
All more likely to play than not

Richmond: Foley* (ankle)
*Almost certain to play.

Pre-Season Form:
Carlton: 2 wins, 2 losses: Progressed to 3rd round of Nab Cup with thumping win over full strenght North side and a grinding win over a severly undermanned Hawthorn. Played kids in 3rd Round Vs Geelong and battled admirably. Disappointing loss to Fremantle in Bunbury.

Richmond: 2 wins, 2 losses: Had a Richo-inspired win against Freo in Rd 1 of Nab Cup before a 2nd Half fade-out against Collingwood saw them relegated to Nab Challenge. Played kids Vs St Kilda and got beaten easily, before beating Brisbane in a close one to round out Nab Series with Ben Cousins picking up 25 touches and kicking his first goal in Yellow and Black.

Pre-Season Standouts:
Carlton: Shaun Grigg, Mitch Robinson, Jefferey Garlett, Sam Jacobs.
Richmond: Jack Reiwoldt, Jay Shulz, Alex Rance, Andrew Raines, Dean Polo.

Chance for team debut:
Carlton: Chris Johnson, Mitch Robinson and Chris Yarran, Sam Jacobs, Aaron Joseph.
Richmond: Ben Cousins, Alex Rance, Tom Hislop, Andy Collins.

Key Matchups:

Richardson vs Waite: Looms as a key battle that could determine outcome of match. Richardsons move to the wing was an inspired one, but Richo will not be aloud to roam around and should expect Waite to shadow him for most of the night. Waite performed on Richo exceptionally in Rd 14 2008 and will get the starting job again. Waite will be suited up the ground as he can also be used as an attacking weapon. Waite will not only need to stop Richo getting the easy ball and marks, but will also need to exploit him going the other way. If Richo heads to FF then Waite may be taken off him.

Judd vs Jackson: With Kane Johnson out, the Tigers will have to look for another player to run with Chris Judd and Daniel Jackson seems to be the best option. According to most media sources, Judd has regained his burst of speed and is ready to once again unleash the beast within. If Richmond and Jackson can nullify Judd, then the Blues midfield may face a battle with Nick Stevens out. But if Judd gets on top, and his fitness is were the media thinks it is, then there will be no stopping him, and the Tigers will face a huge challenge to stop the Blues.

Fevola vs Moore: If Fevola lines up, expect to see him start in the goal square, probably apposed to Kelvin Moore. At the moment the Blues rely heavily on Fevola and if last years trend continue, Fev will have majority of the ball come his way. Expect to see 2 or more Richmond defenders crowd Fevola at any one time. If the Blues can direct ball elsewere, the Tigers may have problems leaving their opponent to help out Moore. If Fev fires early on the Tigers have viable options in Thursfield, Bowden or Mgaune.

Tuck vs Hadley: These 2 underated bullocking midfielders will shoulder much of the midfield's fortunes. Both players are exceptional at winning the hardball and dishing out to there more skilled team mates. Will feature prodominently at Centre Sqaure bounces and may hold key to clearances and the overall midfield duel.

X-Factor:
Carlton:

Andrew Walker- Virtually unseen this pre-season, Walker will be aiming to put his shoulder woes behind him. Pace, agility, nice mark and ability to break the lines, the number 2 pick sounds like a complete player, but has not been able to string a season together. Can play most positions and Rd 1 may be his Launching pad into a successfull 09 Season.

Ryan Houlihan- Unseen in 08 until later in the season, when he played the last 2 games, playing well on a HFF. Will play prodominently HFF this year and the silky skilled Houlihan can not only deliver lace out passes, but can aos kick a freaky goal. Will feature prominently in Score assists this year, and if Tigers defenders leave him by himslef, they will play a hefty price.

Richmond:

Richard Tambling- The highly maligned midfielder made steady ground in 08 and showed excellnt pace and ability to break the lines. Although not yet a star, if left alone he has the ability to hurt the opposition immensly. May have a breakout year, starting with a nice performance in the first round.

Joel Bowden- Unknown qauntity to start the year. Will feature at both ends of the ground, probably more on a HFF. Can take a nice mark and has good pace and can control games with his ball-winning ability.

Brett Deledio- Super Athlete, ruthless competitor. Cannot say much more about this superstar in the making. Can play Midfield or Forward and will look to exploit Blues at evry oppurtunity with his break-neck pace and superb hands. No obvious matchup from the Blues with Jordan Bannister seemingly out of favour, although Bryce Gibbs performed well on him in Rd. 14 last year.

Cant wait to see:
Chris Judd vs Ben Cousins for the limited time they matchup. Could Cousins lead his new teeam to an inspiring win or will the all-conquering Chris Judd get his Blues off onto the right foot.

Mitch Bloody Robinson throwing himself around like a rag doll. Hopefull of another interview after the match as-well.

Dont count on it:
A blowout in favour of either side.

Count on it:
Niggle and Fights.

FINAL TIP: Too close to call, Flip of the coin, Toss of the coin, 50/50, however you say it, it's going to be a close one. The odds dont do justice to the closeness of this game. Its going to be difficult to tip a winner. Whichever team converts their oppurtunities and uses the ball better will win.
Unfortunately i have to find a winner. Blues by 2 points*, only because of pre-season form (style of play/skills). *(If Fevola plays)

BLUEINBLOOD.

hahahahahhaha richmond supporters.
You might want to read Carlton supporter comments in this thread, alot funnier than what the Richmond supporters have said.

RICHMOND FINISHED ON TOP OF CARLTON IN THE AFL PREMIERSHIP SEASON LAST YEAR.

All those idiots out there that think Carlton have much more talent than Richmond need to get a reality check.

:p
I like Foley's attitude, but his kicking is poor, and has always been his Achilles'. By contrast Simmo is an awesome kick, and just a higher grade talent. Do you remember Foley's last 1/4 in the last Blues V Tiges game? He was benched half-way through the last after Stevens ripped him apart and won the game of his own boot. Let's put aside Judd, Stevens, Murph and Gibbs. I'd rate Simmo, Walker, Scotland, Robinson, and Grigg ahead of Foley. What the Tiges really need is 2-3 elite midfielders. Jack Ziebell would have been an ideal draft choice for the Tiges. Right now everything's resting on Cousins shoulders. :)

i dont remember any of them playing in the big v vs all stars game .. and i do remember that game that 4 of fev's goals were from foley hitting fev on the tit ... simmo a higher grade talent ?? what exactly does that mean ??????? so his teacher at school gave him a B in talent ?? i didnt realise that was a subject :p

tigers need 2-3 elite mid's you reckon .. eg deledio,foley,cousins,cotchin :)

I either hope this guy is trying to be another parrot or is just really as his username says 13-14 years old, otherwise, wow, such ignorance from one person.

Richo, first off, yes he was freakish last year, but there is NO DOUBT that he can match last years effort, he hasn't lost anything, he is as fit as ever and there is still nobody who knows how to play on him, let alone anyone who can!

Tambling, while he isn't fantastic, he is still a solid player, enough has been said about him, but the facts are he has improved as a player each year and it is expected for him to do the same again this year.

Matt White, well if a guy who plays 20 games in a 22 game season is someone who 'struggles to stay in the senior side' then I'm stumped, White is fast, and very tough and he's still only 21yo and well entrenched in our best 22.

Jackson, well he is just like that Mitch Robinson, only Jackson has done more than rough a few players up, Jackson has been averaging about 25 disposals throughout the NAB campaign and is set to explode, he is fast, tough and knows how to get the ball, will be a big improver this year.

Raines and Newman have both shown they can play in the midfield, Newman will play more there this year and Raines is best suited to running off the half back.

Edwards, well I think he is best suited either a half back or as a small forward, at least until he builds his body up a bit more.

There we go.:)

Hey muppet,
My username refers to 1995, a Carlton premiership year.

Unless you are nearly 40 that is something you wouldn't remember Richmond ever doing.

You guys are so quick to remind us of the last 7 years but you have been in the bottom half for the best part of 27 years!!!

5 grand final appearences since your last.

4 Premierships since your last.

Just a friendly reminder

:)

What are you on about we have just drafted cotchin last year, if cogs can get somewhere back to his best he will be a very good player.

So lets see, Tuck, Cousins, Deledio, Foley, Cotchin, Richo and cogs.

Looks preety good to me :) any of those are walk up players in geelongs starting side when there fit and healthy.

You just described McMahon to a T. Sure, he makes a big mistake in pretty much every game, but he's great otherwise.

One small difference between Scotto and McMahon, one of them is not scared to put himself in harms way, the one one is McMahon!

Go Blues!

The whole Judd v Cousins thing is a bit of a circus but hey whatever sells the game .It will take Cousins about 2 months to get back to the pace of the AFL with regards to fitness etc..( IF HIS BODY HOLDS OUT).

My heart would like Richmond to win but my head is saying the Blues will win this first game of the season.(Trying to take my footy tipping seriously this year).

Hope Cuzzy has a great year for the Tigers.:thumbsu:

One small difference between Scotto and McMahon, one of them is not scared to put himself in harms way, the one one is McMahon!

Go Blues!
I am not for a minute going to say McMahon is a hard man, but I will say Scotland is not much better, and at the top of their games McMahon is the better of the two.
In a good side, Jordan will play a better role

Going to be a ripping game. Two teams who finished outside the 8 pulling over 80 k, fantastic stuff.

Both look pretty even in the midfield, the Tiges have covered Fev pretty well in the past and have some good attacking options in (obviously) Richo, Riewoldt, Morton. Pray that Brown kicks like he did last time we met.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last 1/4, the last time these 2 teams met and with Judd missing....

[youtube]mnRrEOIsPw0[/youtube]

Has anything changed? :)

Considering we beat you in round 1 by the same amount, with several hacks (Howat, Pettifer, Hyde) in our team, and with you having Judd, I'd say nothing will change for round 1 this year. :)

Considering we beat you in round 1 by the same amount, with several hacks (Howat, Pettifer, Hyde) in our team, and with you having Judd, I'd say nothing will change for round 1 this year. :)

I dont believe Judd was even at 75% fit though until later in the year.

Mind you 75% Judd is greater than a lot of players at 100%

Losing Stevens will hurt Carlton played a belter the last game.

I was so happy the Tiges picked up Cousins, too good a player to not be playing, fingers crossed he has finished his relationship with "coke."

Carlton had better win this. I have money on them!

I dont believe Judd was even at 75% fit though until later in the year.

Mind you 75% Judd is greater than a lot of players at 100%

Losing Stevens will hurt Carlton played a belter the last game.

I was so happy the Tiges picked up Cousins, too good a player to not be playing, fingers crossed he has finished his relationship with "coke."

Carlton had better win this. I have money on them!

People still using that underdone excuse. If your not right you shouldn't be playing and its their own fault for selecting unfit players, if they even did.

Wow there is a lot of trash talk in this thread.

I think its about a 50-50 game, both sides are well matched. Carlton has the stronger forward line, but Richmond has a stronger backline and its gonna be great to see the midfields go head to head, not sure who will come out on top there. People shouldn't underestimate Richmond midfield of Foley, Deledio, Tuck, Cousins, Brown, Richo.

Great game to kick off the start of the season!

Wow there is a lot of trash talk in this thread.

I think its about a 50-50 game, both sides are well matched. Carlton has the stronger forward line, but Richmond has a stronger backline and its gonna be great to see the midfields go head to head, not sure who will come out on top there. People shouldn't underestimate Richmond midfield of Foley, Deledio, Tuck, Cousins, Brown, Richo.

Great game to kick off the start of the season!

Surely you're joking! :eek:

The Blues will be going into this game with 3-4 first gamers, whereas the Tiges will be going in with 5 players well over 30 years old and zero first gamers. The Blues oldest player is 28, and the Tiges oldest player is 34. Interesting contrast. A battle between a very young Blues side and an aging Tiges team full of veterans i.e. The Future V The Past. :)

The Blues will be going into this game with 3-4 first gamers, whereas the Tiges will be going in with 5 players well over 30 years old and zero first gamers. The Blues oldest player is 28, and the Tiges oldest player is 34. Interesting contrast. A battle between a very young Blues side and an aging Tiges team full of veterans i.e. The Future V The Past. :)
Rolling out the excuses already:thumbsu:

You are pathetic

Hey muppet,
My username refers to 1995, a Carlton premiership year.

Unless you are nearly 40 that is something you wouldn't remember Richmond ever doing.

You guys are so quick to remind us of the last 7 years but you have been in the bottom half for the best part of 27 years!!!

5 grand final appearences since your last.

4 Premierships since your last.

Just a friendly reminder

:)
DAMN! As I said "I either hope this guy is trying to be another parrot or is just really as his username says 13-14 years old, otherwise, wow, such ignorance from one person."

BTW I don't remember reminding you about the last 7 years.:confused:

More great news - sounds like the Blues are going to play Jeff Garlett on Thursday. Garlett was an unbelievable rookie pick. Elite skills, blistering speed. Kicked about 30 goals in the WAFL last year. Eddie and Garlett should have a lot of fun next Thursday up forward. Hoping Mitch Robinson and Joseph will get a run. Like the way Ratten gives his young players experience and responsibility at this level. No wonder we're developing fantastic list depth. WIll the Tiges play ANY first gamers? Unlikely as they only played ONE first gamer for the entire 2008 season. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 - Richmond vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back