Remove this Banner Ad

The round 1 team I want to see.

FB: Quaynor Roughead Howe

HB: Crisp Moore Maynard

C: J.Daicos Pendlebury Poulter

HF: Henry Mihocek Sidebottom

FF: Elliott Cameron McCreery

FOLL: Grundy De Goey Adams

INT: Ruscoe (7th Back) - Macrae (7th Mid) - McInnes (8th Mid) - Hoskin-Elliott (7th Fwd)

Sub: N. Daicos

EMG: Kelly Bianco Murphy Johnson
Daicos debuting as the sub would be horrible

The round 1 team I want to see.

FB: Quaynor Roughead Howe

HB: Crisp Moore Maynard

C: J.Daicos Pendlebury Poulter

HF: Henry Mihocek Sidebottom

FF: Elliott Cameron McCreery

FOLL: Grundy De Goey Adams

INT: Ruscoe (7th Back) - Macrae (7th Mid) - McInnes (8th Mid) - Hoskin-Elliott (7th Fwd)

Sub: N. Daicos

EMG: Kelly Bianco Murphy Johnson

predictable but uninspiring team.

If WHE (who is not old) is only good enough to start off bench then why is he at the club? Why do we just casually accept non performers?

If WHE (who is not old) is only good enough to start off bench then why is he at the club? Why do we just casually accept non performers?

Not sure what age has to do with it.

Or why starting on the bench reflects acceptance of non-performers. Swanny always started off the bench.

B: Howe - Roughead - Maynard
HB: Moore- Schlensog - Crisp
C: Lapinski- Adams - N.Daicos
HF: Henry - Wiederman- Elliot
F: Ginnivan - Johnson- Stengle
R: Grundy - DeGoey - Pendelbury
INT: J Diacos - MaCrae- - Cameron - Poulter - Qauynor (can't decide who misses out)

Mcreery, McInnes, WHE, bianco, Ruscoe, Kelly, Lynch rotating through

Schlensog to help with opposition key forwards which frees up Moore and howe to cut off all day. Langdon played that role and
we were a lot better for having multiple cut off defenders. He also fits the age bracket.

Weiderman in ( riccardi also an option), genuine tall forward not a ruckman, Johnson athletic forward can compete in the air.
Stengle adds some small forward class, Two tall forwards, Henry medium athletic forward and 3 quality small forwards. Looks a lot better
current setup and they are all forwards, not ruckman. not mids. A lot more dangerous.

Sidebottom - trade
Mihocek - trade, get some value while we can. 29 next season.

No more browns, magdens, siers , Thomas and irishman.

lol nobody is gonna put Nick Daicos as the sub in his debut game
I agree with you sentiment but I tried to remove all emotion, pick a team of 23 that I would like to see, call it starting best 22 or whatever.

I understand Daics won't debut as Sub but I tried to remove all emotion.

So removing the emotion, (and a Q to everyone) what would you change from my 23 to yours for next year on who as we currently stand have on our books?

Not sure what age has to do with it.

Or why starting on the bench reflects acceptance of non-performers. Swanny always started off the bench.

So if Swanny was playing and you were doing your team for Rd 1 next year, you would select him on the bench? Is that what you are saying? Or would you select him in the centre because he was a gun.

Age is relevant because WHE should be in his prime.

I take being selected on the bench that you are a fringe player.

I also believe during Swannys career rotations were not an issue - they were unlimited. Given limited rotations now a days, I would not be wasting one by starting him on the bench.

I agree with you sentiment but I tried to remove all emotion, pick a team of 23 that I would like to see, call it starting best 22 or whatever.

I understand Daics won't debut as Sub but I tried to remove all emotion.

So removing the emotion, (and a Q to everyone) what would you change from my 23 to yours for next year on who as we currently stand have on our books?
Daicos ahead of Poulter, Ginnivan ahead of Reef or Hoskin-Elliott

It's 2021. Interchange is not a position - it's a place-holder for the first 4 minutes of game time.

For me it shows that WHE does not really command a spot. WHE was listed as the 7th forward. Why would that be?

Why not have the placeholders as Crisp, Maynard, Nick Daicos, Elliott?

People starting WHE on the bench, tells me he is not that good,

2021 was a dreadful year for more reasons than the football, here's to 2022, a safer world to live in and just maybe the foundation of a dynasty.

Crisp Krueger Ruscoe
Howe Moore Quaynor

Grundy De Goey N Daicos
Macrea Maynard J Daicos

Mihocek Henry Stengle
Cameron Mclean Elliott

Int:
Dib Ginnivan Adams Pendlebury

Emer:
McCreery Bianco Poulter T Brown McInnes Noble Kelly Johnson

1630312126361.png Good choice for FB. Has good closing speed and keeps close to his man. Pretty accountable. Only slight is his frame size , hasnt done a weights session in his life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He and JT been coasting since 2018. No pressure on spots. If, thats a big if. We do retain them after their next contracts , they should be on 1 year contracts only

It's a bit early to be undertaking this exercise. In assessing this year, and apportioning blame for it, not many seem to be allowing for the fact that our list was shredded in the salary cap debacle. It was recognized that we weren't contending, and so the depth players were discarded. This made sense. It did, however, leave our list perilously thin, with a crust of good players who had to stay fit for virtually the whole year for our team to be competitive. The critical ones didn't and there was no backup, and so the team declined. it was as near inevitable as anything in football.

A lot of new players arrived, all middling draft picks. A lot of them made their debuts, and most showed promise, more than I expected. They are still mostly at least a year away from establishing themselves. For a yardstick, note how long it has taken Parish to justify his draft spot at Essendon.

Nick Daicos is expected to be a top player. This is very unlikely to happen in 2022. We hope he will be the next Pendlebury, but not overnight.
We still don't have a big mobile forward. That won't be remedied in 2022 either.

What was not lacking in our team this year was heart. They showed plenty and only folded at the end. The new coach will first and foremost have to maintain this.

I see our list as very shallow again next year. If the mainstays remain fit, the team should perform reasonably. If we have injuries to key personnel, then I don't see a lot of backup. The ages of Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Howe make all of them suspect. These are our top tier players and they are in the bracket that sees output decline. The hopes for the year have to be moderate or they will be dashed.

The game doesn't end after the first centre bounce? Don't really understand your point. For a match we select a squad of 22 that we think will win us the game. They all come onto the ground at some stage and are all expected to execute their role.

The game doesn't end after the first centre bounce? Don't really understand your point. For a match we select a squad of 22 that we think will win us the game. They all come onto the ground at some stage and are all expected to execute their role.

What do you believe his role is?

Let me ask the question another way. There are no rotations left in the game. It’s the last two minutes of a close match.

What would your team be? Who would be on your bench.

However, some players are a lot more influential and important. Given that WHE is an experienced and very well paid player, I do not believe he does enough, often enough.

A 28 year old should be starting in such a young team. Not a role player off the bench

What do you believe his role is?

Let me ask the question another way. There are no rotations left in the game. It’s the last two minutes of a close match.

What would your team be? Who would be on your bench.

However, some players are a lot more influential and important. Given that WHE is an experienced and very well paid player, I do not believe he does enough, often enough.

How about last year in the elimination final against West Coast. Big match, game on the line and our premier ruckman starts on the bench for several centre bounces. Games wise he has more experience than WHE. Does that mean we don't select Grundy? A best 18 player player can start on the bench if it makes tactically sense to do so.

I haven't come up with a best 22 because I'm not sure what that looks like. I'm not arguing the inclusion or non-inclusion of WHE. My point is, you select a best 22 to win you a game. Not 18 + 4 useless players. If WHE is best 22 he should be selected whether he starts on the field or on the bench.

How about last year in the elimination final against West Coast. Big match, game on the line and our premier ruckman starts on the bench for several centre bounces. Games wise he has more experience than WHE. Does that mean we don't select Grundy? A best 18 player player can start on the bench if it makes tactically sense to do so.

I haven't come up with a best 22 because I'm not sure what that looks like. I'm not arguing the inclusion or non-inclusion of WHE. My point is, you select a best 22 to win you a game. Not 18 + 4 useless players. If WHE is best 22 he should be selected whether he starts on the field or on the bench.

Agree with your first point re Grundy.

I agree, the bench is not for “useless players”. Seems to me he is borderline 22 and by mid to late next season won’t be a guaranteed best 22. DefinItaly a highly skilled player and was very pleased when we recruited him.

However, if you want to be in the trade game, you gotta give something to get something. WHE is an attractive trade piece that I believe we could replace fairly quickly.

Not trying to be smart here but Swanny used to start on the bench quite a few times to confuse taggers.

I think thats a great game plan for swannie.When it comes to WHE we really are playing a 28 year old like a 1st or 2nd year player

WHEs stats are down below with four other players. Hard to tell which is defintely his.

KHBDMGGABTHOFFFACLCGI50R50AF *SC *

So if Swanny was playing and you were doing your team for Rd 1 next year, you would select him on the bench? Is that what you are saying? Or would you select him in the centre because he was a gun.

Age is relevant because WHE should be in his prime.

I take being selected on the bench that you are a fringe player.

I also believe during Swannys career rotations were not an issue - they were unlimited. Given limited rotations now a days, I would not be wasting one by starting him on the bench.

If Swanny were playing and I was doing the team for R1 I'd select him in the 22. Where he starts is irrelevant. It's a game played over 4 quarters. Your take on being selected on the bench is wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back