Toast Round 10 = Carlton 57-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

And what were the other 3 set of umpire eyes looking at?
Maybe they were focused on the other end of the ground to see if their favourite player was subject to a striking with a feather free.
Funny how we had many frees paid against us all day by non-officiating umpires. Yet none saw this?
They were probably checking their Garmins to see how many kms they'd racked up.
Piss poor umpiring.

Serviceable game today from the boys, never threatened and kept the scum at arms length over the last 60 minutes of the game after skipping out to handy lead in the first half.

Would have liked to see us put the boot on their throats a bit more late in the game, but it looked like the scum came out with a plan to shut the game down more after half time so it is what it is.

Percentage is going to be a factor at the pointy end of the season so we'll need to bank a couple of big wins over the next couple of weeks.

Was a bit disappointed at first we didn't get a big margin but we can do that over the next couple of weeks.

Let's be honest, we toyed with them. Any time they looked liked challenging us we put it out of reach then relaxed until necessary. Definitely put the cue in the rack for the second half.

The crowds we are getting to our games are just incredible. I’ve never seen the like of it. Big numbers and big noise, although the players today didn’t need the noisy army to get them over the line. They just played keepings off, did enough to keep us entertained, and threw in some cameos from AJ and Bobby.

The way we are playing is historically significant.

And in Craig McCrae we seem to have appointed exactly the right person for the time we are in and the personnel we have.

Has anyone watched Operation Flagrant Foul? It's a short film providing insight to the NBA from the perspective of an ex-ref who was caught fixing games.

I'm not suggestin AFL games are fixed but the ref talks about how officials have personal gripes with certain players and how it impacts the calls they do/don't make. He also details how referees are instructed to make calls a particular way, a directive from the top when they want to change a certain aspect of the game. He then goes on to detail how 'stars' are treated differently again, the example he provided was in relation to calling a foul against MJ. The coach Phil Jackson comes storming over, yelling at the ref asking him "wtf are you doing?" He responded "the NBA wants to change this aspect of the game, I gotta call it." Phil Jackson then yells "The NBA want you to call that foul, but not against him!" Sure enough later that week he got a call from higher up in the NBA saying the exact thing Phil Jackson said.

Today's game made me wonder if that's what we were witnessing with all the BS call with Curnow.
It's most definitely what we see towards Ginni. Complete and utter BS, every player should be treated equal, and I hope Collingwood has been asking the AFL wtf it is they think they're doing.

Last edited:
It's bin night where i am tonight and the Pies were nice enough to take the rubbish out for me.

What an awesome win!!!! wasn't the thrashing i hoped it would be, but i hope it gave the blosers hope that they might win the game and then, well, they didn't.

It was awesome to watch the carlton supporters leave during the 4th q. Carlton have just bred a losing culture, it just runs so deep in their club now. I love it.

Darcy freakin Moore, what can you say about this kid, it was like he was playing kick to kick with Carltons midfield.

I thought it was strange that they subbed out Ash, i thought we could've used a bit more arial presence in our fwd 50 in the last quarter. I thought they might of subbed out adams, it wasn't his best game. Oh well.

Some players didn't have the best game, Steele, Jaicos, Titch, Tay, what i mean, they seemed to make more errors than normal, but i think Carlton knew they couldn't win, so they just tried to get under our skin.

Well done boys, on to next week.

Just on the Ginnivan high tackle.
The umpire did say that he didn't see the tackle go high. Thought it was the upper arm.
The non free kick wasn't because the umpire thought he ducked.

I feel so dirty now, defending an umpire.
It was the upper arm and Jack did a Selwood arm raise to try to draw the free.

Hate Carlton
But he has guts
Silvagni tries he’s just naturally slow. Check out McGovern, he’s on 800k a year and I don’t think he’s done a thing since beating us with an after the siren kick playing for Adelaide in 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call that Winning Ugly as Collingwood was poor in 2nd half
You've got to play in different ways Dave. We killed them when the game was up for grabs and then restricted them to very few goals when they were dominant. Top of the ladder and haven't played the 3 ugly sisters yet. I'll take it Dave.

Come to think of it, why did Carlton think Voss was going to be a good coach in the first place?

Carlton’s coaching appointing disaster was two fold and it all ultimately comes down to Carlton still running their club like it’s 1979

1) They weren’t going to let Ross Lyon dictate terms and make them “look weak”

2) After telling Ross to piss off, they “needed” a big name. Voss was all there was available

Fly's presser

Strong start in the first half and it seemed to be the difference in the end?
"Yeah, I said to the group just then, you don't realise at half time, but the work done at half time is the end result. You just never know how games are going to progress, but I think the way we set the game up in the first half is obviously the reason why we got the job done".

The performance by Darcy Moore was marvellous.
"Yeah, remarkable. At times you think he was the forward, like he just out reads the opposition and he's playing on incredible players. They're no mugs in the game and he just out position and he just had a day out didn't he?"

Is Moore the best key defender in the competition?
"I haven't seen everyone. We haven't played everybody. You love your own more than others I suppose. The way he's playing right now is at the top of his game for sure".

Can you tell us about Moore's match up with Curnow? How did you plan for that during the week?
"You always think of your threats, and those two [Curnow and McKay] are considerable threats. We don't have a second tall at the moment, we're playing undersize with Murphy and Maynard and these guys. You have concerns around [that], 'have we got the height to go with Harry [McKay]'. Ideally, we put pressure on the ball and it's less of an issue for us, but Curnow is a great forward of the game. He's athletic, and he jumps at the ball so we thought that was a good matchup for Darcy [Moore]. Again, if they get high we wanna have certain match ups and if they're deep we want to have certain match ups. It wasn't something going into the game going, 'he must play on so and so'. It was really pleasing to come out on top of that match up".

Did you intend to play on and get speed on the game early?
"I think we do that most weeks. We do like to use our numbers up if we can and then challenge the opposition. We're a fast starting team. I think the Crows were the #1 [fast] starting team in the competition for first quarters and we've had a similar record over the season, so we want to hit the ground running. This group is hard to stop when they move the ball fast".

Last week, GWS coach Adam Kingsley said you're one of the best teams in in the competition stopping a team from scoring when the momentum is with them. You seemed to do that again today in the 3rd quarter when Carlton were coming at you and they only kicked a single goal?
"Yeah, I was really pleased with that. I said that at 3QT, the arm wrestle of games that comes. They [Carlton] did have moments off territory and whether it's free kicks or lost clearance, whatever it looked like. The game was played in our defensive half more than it was in the first half. To keep the opposition to low numbers. We can't choose or pick when they miss goals, but we can definitely decide or force them into positions where they're having shots from wide or whatever it looks like. It is a pleasing part of our game that teams haven't got momentum on us too much in recent time".

Can you talk us through the late changes? Was that because of the flu issues around Jack Ginnivan midweek or was it something you were always considering?
"We were calculated thinking on Friday when we finalised the team that we thought we don't necessarily need to name him in the team. The rules allow you to name your squad, and we'll just make that late change accordingly. It wasn't weather based. We were just waiting to see whether Jack was going to be fit and well and then we had other options up our sleeve. We thought we'd bring Darcy [Cameron] into our starting 22".

Were Ginnivan and Ash Johnson close to missing due to illness?
"Potentially. They had to prove themselves on Saturday. Friday afternoon, they hadn't trained and we're just looking for them to get better. To that point, they probably were [a chance of missing]".

How did you see Darcy Cameron's first game back in the team?
"He's important to us. It allows Ash Johnson to stay forward more and then we'll have Dan McStay back in a couple of weeks and Billy Frampton back in a couple of weeks. You then get bigger bodies to be able to then play a certain way. I said this last week, in adversity and injury we've got players that play multiple roles now, so we've got some flexibility amongst that".

The mark by Ash Johnson was a big one in the second quarter?
"Yeah, we want our players to express themselves. Have you seen my shoes? Tarni Jarvis who designed our jumpers asked us if we want to wear the shoes or if we could the paint the shoes and they tell a story around family. I said before the game to the boys, 'every time you look at my shoes, make sure you express yourself and it was pleasing that Ash [Johnson] did that".

Do you turn your mind to players that are coming back such as Jeremy Howe and how the team might look in the future?
"Every week tends to change and shift, so it's hard to forecast too far. We'll probably get Lipinski back, Billy Frampton and Dan McStay. Those guys will be back around two or three weeks [from now]. They're in our best 22. It's just a matter of what that looks like and moving parts of that. Every week changes, from illness and injury".

It's post-match threads like this I miss bringoutthegimp. He'd be loving this. RIP you legend.
Oh no, I didn't know about this. What happened to him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back