Review Round 11, 2023 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

We played like absolute dogshit, and a better side would have murdered us… but we got the 4 points on the board.
I reckon against a better side we would have lifted our level. This team is in a zone of playing matches to the level required, even if it means adapting up or down in performance to keep the game tight.

Scruffy game, with an awkward feeling we may collapse.
Again some individual performances stabilised the outfit. The usual suspects.

Scrappy and unconvincing, but to quote the great Donuts Hinkley, a good effort is when you win.

Aliir and Houston were excellent. Butters got a lot of attention but worked his way into the game well. Goalkicking atrocious, we missed so many shots from very gettable positions.

Some observations from the twisted mind of Loony Juice

Cam Mooney interviewing kern and it was difficult to tell which one had been concussed midweek

Bonner was poor

Ugly win in which we allowed the tigers to get too close

McQualter doing the kern blank/lost look in the coaches box. Made me think of being stuck in a crappy regional airport with a flat phone and the only thing on TV was a replay of the 1978 basket weaving finals. In black and white

I reckon against a better side we would have lifted our level. This team is in a zone of playing matches to the level required, even if it means adapting up or down in performance to keep the game tight.
100% for some reason we play to the level of our opponents.

I'm hopeful that as we grow our players play at their level and dictate the game more than allowing the oppo to do so. That first term was us dictating, then we just dropped to their level completely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its winter weather, 4 upsets yesterday, which always happens around the mid season mark, sacked coach bump from the oppo, both sides can't convert in wet conditions with a slippery ball, average skills, seen it all before and not to be an unexpected thing.

Its money in the bank type win. Its not a $2,000 deposit, but its better than a $2.35 type deposit. its more a $500 half decent type deposit.

The good thing is its another grind it out, hang on when challenged type win. Still too many mistakes to be confident we can really challenge but winning at the MCG is always worth something.

And to keep winning with no Dixon, Marshall, Georgiades, Boak, Fantasia, Duursma and even Jonas who is on the down on form, but the coaches play him every week when he is available.

Aliir and Butters were brilliant. Houston and Rozze continue to deliver. Lycett tried hard and although Nank won the battle, especially in the 2nd half, was a lot bigger contributor than he has been in the past against Nank.

I don't think Burton and DBJ playing forward can last if we have no or minimal imjuries.

We need to get better value from our mid field dominance. That should come with Dixon and Marshall in the forward line and if Fantasia can ever string 5 or 6 consecutive games.

Williams, Farrell and Jones played well in the backline and didn't panic in some high pressure situations.

Nice to grind out a win. Was always going to be a difficult game, particularly with Hardwick stepping down.

I thought Lachie Jones was fantastic. Clean with the ball, won some important contests, particularly early when against Martin. I hope he can take some much needed confidence from this and continue to build on it. 12 touches including 10 intercept possessions (our equal top with Allir).

Worst game I've seen for quite a while. Both sides were awful.
Don't know how Ken does it - how is it possible to win 8 in a row and still not look like a genuine contender?

Worst game I've seen for quite a while. Both sides were awful.
Don't know how Ken does it - how is it possible to win 8 in a row and still not look like a genuine contender?
I know people don't wanna believe it, but our pressure & ability to lock it in our forward half for long periods this year is elite & will cause drama for anyone.. whether it's pretty is irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back