Preview Round 12 - Carlton v Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium Sunday June 12 at 1.10PM - *Final Team-Post #411

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Round 12 - Carlton v Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium Sunday June 12 at 1.10PM

Ellard's in and under work, his tackling was awesome
His goal at a critical moment of the game
His passing was better yesterday than usual but he did not get enough of it. Some of his entries into the fwd 50 were on the $ but the bloke at the other end of the pass did not latch on.
That one from the centre dot that went about 70m was pin point but caught them by surprise I think!

Ellard only had 2 tackles yesterday, which was quite out of character considering he averages 7 a game. I thought he used the ball extremely well, his underground handpass under pressure was great.

ellard only had 2 tackles yesterday, which was quite out of character considering he averages 7 a game. I thought he used the ball extremely well, his underground handpass under pressure was great.
amazing how they came up with those. I watched him and how he works away from the ball. Does well bullocking his opp away from contests which being so small comes down to technique. Was so often in packs locking the ball up.stats don't tell all the story always

O'hAilpin was great in the ruck, not necessarily in the hit outs but his work at ground level was really good. Up forward he was a horrible - fumbling, dropping marks and missing goals. However, he did provide a contest and bring others into the game but Henderson can do the same as is obviously a better prospect.

amazing how they came up with those. I watched him and how he works away from the ball. Does well bullocking his opp away from contests which being so small comes down to technique. Was so often in packs locking the ball up.stats don't tell all the story always

I was surprised at the number too but it has been a feature of his game this year so I guess I expected more (number wise). He's doing his job and that's all we can expect from him.

Is it just me or is O'hAilpin playing more and more like Earl Spalding. Love the way he smashes the packs and lets the little guys do their thing.

Exactly why he must stay in the side he gives it his all week in week out. I am prepared to put up with some of his brain fades for the 1% ers he puts in every week. the blocks,sheperds,crunching tackles,tap ons etc he brings to our fwd line are invaluable for our roving fwds. He also has the ability when he is clunking the ball to be a goal kicking fwd hard to stop.
Our fwd line of HF: Garlett Henderson Walker F:Betts Waite Ohailpin will be very hard to cover come finals time plus having a resting ruckman of Kruezer/Warnock/Hammer playing through there makes it a hard fwd line to match up on. Oh the signs are looking good this year :)

In: Henderson Houlihan
Out: Waite (injured) Armfield

No way known should we bring back Kreuzer this early in the piece.

Ellard to run with Rich like Bird did yesterday.

Didnt think Army was that bad.

Is this a team balance thing?

Because Id rest Curnow for a week (needs more time to get that shoulder right IMO).

I dont know how many of you were there, but Pagans last game as coach was at the Gabba, and we were smashed by 117 pts. Brown got 10.

I was unlucky enough to have flown up for that game and have never had a more miserable day at the footy.

I reckon this week is redemption time, and we should dance on their grave I reckon.

Blues by 118.

Army was OK on Pearce and his usual hard at it self, but we could do with more poise and skill in our front half.

This might be a good round to bring in Mclean.

Yeah, Curnow just isnt right yet.

Copped an almighty 'test' of his shoulder from a Port player and was in visible discomfort. Make sure he's right for the pointy end of he season.

Army as sub.

The coaches and the MC would be busting to get Henderson back into the fray right now.
They know what they'll get from Kreuzer when he's ready to go, but being able to nail down the CHF position will be firm and foremost on their minds.

To some extent that applies to CHB and that is why Bower will also be looked at.
Thronton did a good job tonight as he did last week, but his tenure is quite tenuous regardless.

We've said it here one hundred times of late, but some tough decisions will be made in the coming weeks.

Tenuous tenure? You have a tendency to be tendentious!

Much will depend on how Waite and Jamison progress through the week. Sticking with the clubs policy, I doubt they will risk then if they aren't quite right. If this was the case, you'd have to think that O'Hailpin would move into Brown, and we'd need to restructure our forward line.

Leave Hampson in, and give Warnock another week off. He needs the rest, and i'm not sure we lose that much around the ground having Hampson in and not Warnock. My early prediction is:

In: Henderson, Kreuzer
Out Jamison, Waite (Both injured)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely this door cannot take any more!

Hendo, Hoops, Mclean, Kreuz have all been banging on the door for a chance in the ones. IMO heno and hoops are needed back in the one (obviously kreuz too). I think that some time in the next three weeks the ins/outs will look something like this (bar any injury)

IN: Hendo, Hoops, 206, Kreuz, Bower
OUT: Armfield, Touhey, Hampson, Thornton, Ohailpin.

I know that there are a lot of talls there to come in, but kreuze is far from a liability when the ball hits the ground, bower is an upgrade on thornton, 206 is an upgrade on hampson. Hendo will give waite a chop out and make walker play on the 3rd defender and do more of what he did against port. Hoops will provide the class that armfield cant, but we will loose some hardness and run.

i think that will give us some good balance. 2 key defenders, and 2 key forwards, with 1.5 mobile rucks (206 isnt very mobile but can be when needed to). Ellard, mitch and curnow as the in and unders, with judd murph and scotto able to hold their own too. carrots will provide the reliable tag every week, and duigs, russel and yaz to give some dash off hb.

my biggest concern is overloading the forward line, but having walkers fitness base will allow him to push up the ground and play as a mid if need be. hoops and should play as the linnk man between hb and hf to give some decent delivery to our forwards, with betts and jeff to eat the scraps. then we're left with simmo and gibbs. gibbs can do what he has been doing in the last month, playing on a dangers mid, but keeping him quiet and hurting him the other way. simmo can do as he likes, coz he is simmo.

If Jamo and Waite are out I'd have faith in Thornton and his team mates to help him out and go..

IN: Bower, Henderson
OUT: Jamison, Waite

O'hAilpin's versatility will be real vital if this happens though and he'd have to push back at every chance

IN: Hendo, Hoops, 206, Kreuz, Bower
OUT: Armfield, Touhey, Hampson, Thornton, Ohailpin.

I know that there are a lot of talls there to come in, but kreuze is far from a liability when the ball hits the ground, bower is an upgrade on thornton, 206 is an upgrade on hampson. Hendo will give waite a chop out and make walker play on the 3rd defender and do more of what he did against port. Hoops will provide the class that armfield cant, but we will loose some hardness and run.

There is not much argument that eventually all of the above upgrades have some merit.

But there is absolutely no way the MC is going to make 5 unforced changes. I doubt they would make 2. And if there are any forced changes (ie Jamo or Waite) then that would further reduce their likelihood to make them.

2 changes at most no matter what is my call.

Yeah, Curnow just isnt right yet.

Copped an almighty 'test' of his shoulder from a Port player and was in visible discomfort. Make sure he's right for the pointy end of he season.

Army as sub.

Going by other players coming back from shoulders, he might not be 'right' all season. Heaps of players play with an unstable shoulder and opt for surgery at the end of the season.

Hopefully it does get better but he could lack confidence in it all season.

we are now good enough to put two players on brown. jamo and setant would work. do what everyone used to do to us when we had fev

Going by other players coming back from shoulders, he might not be 'right' all season. Heaps of players play with an unstable shoulder and opt for surgery at the end of the season.

Hopefully it does get better but he could lack confidence in it all season.
does that mean we can afford to carry him?

If Jamo doesnt make it up i reckon give Austin a go at CHB on Brown. Bower still needs another week in the 2's i rekon and also does not have the size to go with Brown. Aussie has the size and i rekon give him a chance now that he is injury free and has a couple of games under his belt so he can show us what hes got.

Give Aussie a chance!

There is not much argument that eventually all of the above upgrades have some merit.

But there is absolutely no way the MC is going to make 5 unforced changes. I doubt they would make 2. And if there are any forced changes (ie Jamo or Waite) then that would further reduce their likelihood to make them.

2 changes at most no matter what is my call.

Agreed. Cannot justify making 5+ changes to a team that kept Port to a couple of goals in the second half.

They will all come in eventually. Warnock in (for an injured Waite) is a must for mine against a strong ruck in Leuenberger and perhaps Clark.

O'hAilpin's strong form will keep Henderson out.
Hampson's decent form will allow Kreuzer another week to adjust in the Ants.
Thornton did admirably and marked everything, and will keep Bower out.
Tuohy will be persisted with.

I was at the game yesterday and was noticing that Judd was definitely not at his best- he was 'resting' in the forward line far too often, and to be honest, his foot still looked to be troubling him from the Cats or the Saints game, not too sure which one.

I think that also he got a knock yesterday, unless my mind is making things up- but my point is, why not give the captain the week off to rest up and freshen up before facing tougher opponents, a rejuvinated West Coast, and an always dangerous Sydney?

Why keep, well risking him in 'nothing' games like these, when there have been little niggling injuries of late?

I was at the game yesterday and was noticing that Judd was definitely not at his best- he was 'resting' in the forward line far too often, and to be honest, his foot still looked to be troubling him from the Cats or the Saints game, not too sure which one.

I think that also he got a knock yesterday, unless my mind is making things up- but my point is, why not give the captain the week off to rest up and freshen up before facing tougher opponents, a rejuvinated West Coast, and an always dangerous Sydney?

Why keep, well risking him in 'nothing' games like these, when there have been little niggling injuries of late?
I was kind of thinking the same walshina but Judd out there at 20% is still better than 99% of the AFL

Armfield is in trouble this week.

He's just not doing enough right now and we have the defenders to cover him easily. His disposal has been off and moving him up the ground seems to have stalled his development as a player.

Send him back to the VFL to regain some touch as a defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 12 - Carlton v Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium Sunday June 12 at 1.10PM - *Final Team-Post #411

Remove this Banner Ad

Back