Preview Round 12 - Carlton v Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium Sunday June 12 at 1.10PM - *Final Team-Post #411

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Round 12 - Carlton v Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium Sunday June 12 at 1.10PM

Anyone else notice the upturn in Hammers form coinciding with him being our #1 ruck on gameday rather than predominantly a tall forward?

Yeh his form has improved, confidence ?

What I would like to see:
IN: Henderson, Warnock, Houlihan, Mclean
OUT: Waite (inj), Armfield, Ohailpin, Curnow (get him 100%)

Hampson and Warnock along with Henderson to be the talls up front at different stages.

Highly unlikely these changes will happen this week, Hampson did well enough to keep Warnock out this week and deserves another opportunity, Curnow will play had 18 touches and will be better for the run, can see Henderson coming in as he deserves his chance this week after good recent form, based on the number of changes this year will be max 2 changes this week, one which should be Henderson.

Bower & Kruezer likely to have one more game with the bullants.

Anyone else notice the upturn in Hammers form coinciding with him being our #1 ruck on gameday rather than predominantly a tall forward?

Absolutely, but he still needs to improve his game enough to be a solid target in the F50.

Absolutely, but he still needs to improve his game enough to be a solid target in the F50.

Yes of course. That said though he will never be a player who can spend more than half a game up forward, regardless of sticking his grabs though. He's a ruckman, plain and simple and really should only pinch hit forward and nothing more.

Yes of course. That said though he will never be a player who can spend more than half a game up forward, regardless of sticking his grabs though. He's a ruckman, plain and simple and really should only pinch hit forward and nothing more.

Yep.
But the cold hard truth is that he's only playing because Warnock and Kreuzer aren't.

Tough call this week.

Warnock for Hammer
Emu for Touhy/Armfield or even Russell
Irish or Thorton for Hendo

We need to counter Brown and Clarke two big forwards and Banfield and McGrath their smalls.

I'll trust the MC this week.

We're winning, and the only changes the MC will make will be forced by injury I think. You wouldnt want to cop an injury with the the players waiting to come in.

Warnock and Kreuzer to stay in the twos this week, Hampson and Setanta are fine at the moment. Henderson to come in only if waite/jamo is out injured. Curnow will get another run unless the MC deems him underdone. Dont see any reason why they would mess with a winning lineup at the moment.

Is it just me or is O'hAilpin playing more and more like Earl Spalding. Love the way he smashes the packs and lets the little guys do their thing.

I would like to think so and also wonder whether he could not be just as serviceable as Leroy Brown in this age of only being able to afford one true/only ruckman. Then I remember K is coming back and will likely play CHF/2nd Ruck.

We do need a big CHB and with many undersize key defenders and the possibility of our best being out, there would be no better time than to play Carlos on Brown. Sure we could double team JB but we have to be preparing for when we play the premiers and team to beat - the team with 2 gorillas (although I am condident that Jamo can handle Dawes).

It would be nice to settle on 8 men who are going to make up the back 7 (allocating 1 IC/sub as a defensive type). Strangely after Jamo, newb backman Yazza is the other cert. It would seem Doogy is another and JR (who is not actually in best form). Then we have to toss around Laidler, Bower, Tuohy, Thornton, Carlos (for me), possibly Hoops and if you want to put them back: Carrots (too risky) and Scotty (I have him as a defensive winger at present ie an on baller nowadays) and one can hope Kane might make a case for himself

Back to this week - I have trouble finding a spot for Hoops unless he is SUPER fit and can run all day, so he can wait a while longer. Hammo looked good for Hammer (I have amended his stock rating from sell to hold) so he should ruck again but K may still take CHF if Carlos goes back (not that I think the MC have it in them to be quite this daring)

I would be testing Ed's shoulder out at training - did not think he looked right (looked more than a 2 week inj when he did it) but as others have said he did improve the longer it went and may have just needed the gallop.

In defence of Mat Cats many changes if you read the fine print he said over the next 3 weeks. I too think the only changes this week might be for injuries but if none, I don't expect Tuohy to be sub

I dunno about the MC not being daring, we've done a few things we've made a few changes this year to our previus setups.

yarran to HB = genius move
duigan from the SANFL = genius move
walker to forward = genius move
curnow from VFL = genius move

kreuzer to CHF is not outside of the current MC i think

We're winning, and the only changes the MC will make will be forced by injury I think. You wouldnt want to cop an injury with the the players waiting to come in.

Warnock and Kreuzer to stay in the twos this week, Hampson and Setanta are fine at the moment. Henderson to come in only if waite/jamo is out injured. Curnow will get another run unless the MC deems him underdone. Dont see any reason why they would mess with a winning lineup at the moment.

Good idea until we lose everyone stays in the side no matter how well they play, if juddy misses a game I hope we lose I guess.

Hendo just has to come in. He has to be rewarded for his great form over the last month.

Surely Henderson comes in.

Not sure I understand the plaudits for O'halpin. 3 hitouts, none of which were effective, constant fumbling and spilled marks (which yes he pursues like a mad man). Not sure he should be dropped, but he put in a shocker. On a second note Hammer is out of touch, he has failed to beat a back-up ruckman in Stef Martin and made himself look good against Dean Brogan who played on one leg with a lacerated hand.

Hendo, Warnock and eventually Kreuzer to cure our ruck woes says I

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Henderson comes in.

Not sure I understand the plaudits for O'halpin. 3 hitouts, none of which were effective, constant fumbling and spilled marks (which yes he pursues like a mad man). Not sure he should be dropped, but he put in a shocker. On a second note Hammer is out of touch, he has failed to beat a back-up ruckman in Stef Martin and made himself look good against Dean Brogan who played on one leg with a lacerated hand.

Hendo, Warnock and eventually Kreuzer to cure our ruck woes says I

I agree, he wasn't that great. The problem we have though, structure wise, Hendo can't really compete in the ruck so dropping Irish in a straight swap for Hendo may not work.

As I said, Hendo has to come in.

Had have the same performance been in a loss we would have been calling for his head.
If we're not to take any game lightly, we have to do what needs to be done.

Don't want to dance around the fact we'll need our best ruck-set up against Brisbane either.
If Warnock is ready to go then so he should.

p.s. Henderson can't ruck from what has been on display with the Ants

Fair enough. With Warnock and Kreuzer back I hardly doubt will need him to do so

I reckon they'd give ohailpan another run, but a performance like this week will send him back to the ants, and give henderson his run, the problem then becomes the resting ruck issue, as the match committee has clearly decided they want to rest them at FF.

Wouldn;t be surprised to see Waite rested and Hendo come in, depends on other injuries as well, any news on Jammo anyone?

I'd leave the Kreuze missile to the sydney game....give them a pre match headache !

Not a big fan of Hampson but he was actually good v Port, smashed Brogan in ruck and took a few marks around the ground. The big Irishman on the otherhand was terrible.

Not a big fan of Hampson but he was actually good v Port, smashed Brogan in ruck.

To be fair to Brogan, he was on one leg for most of the match. Then tore his hand to shreds.

But Hampson did play well regardless. A heap of taps to advantage.

When he learns how to mark, look out.

Like the idea of resting Waitey...reward Hendo and get one of our most important players fit

Yeah, that wouldn't be a bad move by the club, particularly if he is carrying an injury. I don't think we lose much at all be effectively replacing Waite with Henderson, particularly the form that Lachie has been showing for the Bullants.

Yeah, that wouldn't be a bad move by the club, particularly if he is carrying an injury. I don't think we lose much at all be effectively replacing Waite with Henderson, particularly the form that Lachie has been showing for the Bullants.

Spot on.

We've got some impressive depth at the moment and host of names pushing for selection but I doubt the MC will rush to bring them all in at once. The team is already looking good and we have Henderson, Bower, Kreuzer, Warnock, McLean, Houlihan and others pushing for spots.

I think the shape of the team will gradually change over the next 5 or 6 weeks but it will be slow as not to mess with a winning formula.

I'd be surprised to see Kreuzer play this week.

To be fair to Brogan, he was on one leg for most of the match. Then tore his hand to shreds.

But Hampson did play well regardless. A heap of taps to advantage.

When he learns how to mark, look out.

On exposed form I actually think Hampson is pretty close to Warnock in terms of hit outs to advantagem and seems to run the games out pretty well. I would be pretty annoyed if Warnock is given a free pass back into the ones when Hampson has played near his best game for the club.

On exposed form I actually think Hampson is pretty close to Warnock in terms of hit outs to advantagem and seems to run the games out pretty well. I would be pretty annoyed if Warnock is given a free pass back into the ones when Hampson has played near his best game for the club.

Hampson played sensationally the other day against Port. He provides a real contest, sometimes a lot more than what Warnock offers. He moves around the ground better and I just think that while Warnock is nice and tall, he doesn't really attack it enough. Watch his hitouts, he just taps them anywhere, no aggression, no thought.

IF he makes it back into the team against Brisbane, just watch his hit outs. Definitely needs work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 12 - Carlton v Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium Sunday June 12 at 1.10PM - *Final Team-Post #411

Remove this Banner Ad

Back