Autopsy Round 13 = Melbourne 66-62 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Felt like a game where we were off more than them taking it away from us. Even with losing clearances, we had plenty of opportunities to move the ball but kept making mistakes. Pressure and run were down.

Pre bye's not a bad time for a loss. Gives us something to work on.

The one takeaway for me is it showed that we do need an extra forward target in McStay. When not getting easy ball movement, stronger, taller forwards are required. Our rucks don't get to enough contests, AJ not strong enough and Mihocek can't do it alone. Need stronger aerial contests forward.

Melbourne dominated that game for all but the first 10 minutes of the first quarter. They played great and beat us at our own game

AJ kicked 2 against Geelong in the qualifying final. Chill.
Nah, he does have a point. I've been saying the same thing about AJ since last years finals. He's primarily a Mark-Kick-Goal player. He also needs perfect conditions for him to mark the ball. Passes at perfect height and perfect speed. Other than that he simply doesn't bother with second or third efforts when the ball hits the ground. This is just my observation from watching him play. That's the dilemma, when he kicks goals, it balances out his deficiencies. But when he doesn't kick goals, he is a liability because he doesn't contribute in other ways.

Beaten up in the middle, and they had a plan to curtail our rebound which worked. They pressured the ball carrier and the players within the next 10m radius too.
Not sure how we tackle this next time but you can’t kick long either - maybe looks for more shorter wide exit kicks then run forward.
When we had our chances to get them on the counter attack we stuffed them up but regardless they should have been further in front. We don’t lose by much when we do but I wouldn’t hang out hat on it only being less than a goal today either.

This was a great game also against good oppo to work out how to optimise our lineup - Frampton/Johnson might make us too tall against sides like this around the ground, despite their strength of rucks/big defenders.

A good first half of the year, need to recharge and hit back straight away.
“Beaten up in the middle”? - we actually won centre clearances.

Was an off day for us after coming in off another flu-ridden week at the club, so not much point picking it apart on a player-by-player basis as we were pretty ordinary for most of the game and seems too willing to settle at playing to the opposition's level and style of football (again). Having said that if you take out a handful of really stupid mistakes then we probably still sneak away with the four points, so the real problem for us is that there are three or four teams (Port, Brisbane, Melbourne and probably still Geelong) that can turn the screws on us if we come out and play like this.

Only positive from the last four weeks is that we've hit the turn at 11-2 with a two game gap to third, otherwise you'd have to say it's been a somewhat disappointing month overall with our dip in form and failure to bank some bigger wins.

Focus from here needs to be improving our consistency across four quarters and secure that top-2 spot at season's end - we don't necessarily have to play our best football for the full 120 minutes, but not slipping below 85-90% of that level as often as we have been this past month is where the improvement will come for us moving into the business end of the season.

Reef in for Ginni, not sure that was a good call.
Reef did absolutely nothing and doesn’t look up to the level
Big off season for Reef - He needs to run all day, every day
I don’t think he’s a forward and he should be a inside mid
Hoping the coaches identify a spot for him and he works like crazy to get there

Felt like a game where we were off more than them taking it away from us. Even with losing clearances, we had plenty of opportunities to move the ball but kept making mistakes. Pressure and run were down.

Pre bye's not a bad time for a loss. Gives us something to work on.

The one takeaway for me is it showed that we do need an extra forward target in McStay. When not getting easy ball movement, stronger, taller forwards are required. Our rucks don't get to enough contests, AJ not strong enough and Mihocek can't do it alone. Need stronger aerial contests forward.
“Beaten up in the middle”? - we actually won centre clearances.

I think there’s a question about quality of clearances. they seemed to go straight out the front, us up in the air from behind the pack and to their half-backs.

Could be wrong, but felt like they beat us on the inside most of the day.

Nah, he does have a point. I've been saying the same thing about AJ since last years finals. He's primarily a Mark-Kick-Goal player. He also needs perfect conditions for him to mark the ball. Passes at perfect height and perfect speed. Other than that he simply doesn't bother with second or third efforts when the ball hits the ground. This is just my observation from watching him play. That's the dilemma, when he kicks goals, it balances out his deficiencies. But when he doesn't kick goals, he is a liability because he doesn't contribute in other ways.

Sounds a lot like crowd-favourite Ginni……and then there’s McInnes, who provides……well, actually, I have no idea what he provides.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was an off day for us after coming in off another flu-ridden week at the club, so not much point picking it apart on a player-by-player basis as we were pretty ordinary for most of the game and seems too willing to settle at playing to the opposition's level and style of football (again). Having said that if you take out a handful of really stupid mistakes then we probably still sneak away with the four points, so the real problem for us is that there are three or four teams (Port, Brisbane, Melbourne and probably still Geelong) that can turn the screws on us if we come out and play like this.

Only positive from the last four weeks is that we've hit the turn at 11-2 with a two game gap to third, otherwise you'd have to say it's been a somewhat disappointing month overall with our dip in form and failure to bank some bigger wins.

Focus from here needs to be improving our consistency across four quarters and secure that top-2 spot at season's end - we don't necessarily have to play our best football for the full 120 minutes, but not slipping below 85-90% of that level as often as we have been this past month is where the improvement will come for us moving into the business end of the season.

Why do we get the flu so much but our opponents never do ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One positive is a bit more game time for some peripheral players. I would still like to see some others get a chance. Macrae, Bianco, Carmichael, Ruscoe, Kreuger should all get some game time this year. We need to see if they have futures or not.

That's definitely misleading. most of our center clearances were desperate hack kicks out of the center. Most of their clearances were well orchestrated by Petracca and Viney.
Yeah despite the numbers Melbourne smashed us in (effective) centre clearances, they took it out so cleanly so many times.

We were really poor today, really, and their kicking woes kept us in it as they were all over us in all areas on the field.

I think it's a good opportunity for us to go away into the bye and work on developing the areas we need to improve and get our form cherry ripe going into September. The flag isn't won at the bye rounds, plenty of time to get things right. We did have absences that hurt us but it was our break down in system and predictability today that did us in the most. Let's go away and fix that.

Individually wise, I think there's a few that will not hold their spot after the bye. Most of our forward line were uncompetitive today. We may need to shake things up a bit now.

Sounds a lot like crowd-favourite Ginni……and then there’s McInnes, who provides……well, actually, I have no idea what he provides.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Reef is having a hard time adjusting to AFL footy. He's still just a kid so have patience

As poor as Johnson was, it was a mistake to sub him off instead of Reef

Can’t help but agree. Whatever McInnes is, it ain’t a forward.

Last edited:
It will be good for us in the long run to go into the long break with a loss. It will keep everyone grounded mentally and physically (no Bali trips this year!!).

That which does not kill us will make us stronger. You can hear the pressure valve releasing as we speak.

Gear up for big back half of the year. The machine is just warming up!!

Darcy Cameron:

13 hitouts from 60 ruck contests.

Mason Cox:
12 hitouts from 24 ruck contests.

Cameron cant be our #1 ruck.

Melbourne deserved the win and beat us in most contests after quarter time. Actually a great sign we were a kick away after lacking spark for a lot of the game.

Mate the scoreboard flattered us beyond belief. It’s naïveté to take solace in the margin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13 = Melbourne 66-62 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back