Review Round 14, 2024 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

He may have been out of his depth, but at least there was a willingness to move the Cornes parasites on, hindsight is easy if I could roll back and keep Primus on for another year or two with a fully funded footy department & avoid the Donut coming here completely I'd do it in a heartbeat now.
If Primus stays, Ken Hinkley probably ends up at St Kilda a year later.

If Ken Hinkley ends up there, we keep Alan Richardson and still probably lure Phil Walsh back.

I'd back that coaching panel in for a couple seasons.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Here is my rough review.

GWS have big bodies across the ground and play a physical, pressure, tough style. Ward, Green, Briggs all drive this. They outwork their opponents, force shallow opposition entries then rebound with speed and skill. They rely on Whitfield and Kelly for this run, Angwin and Haynes to a lesser extent. Their tall forwards are lead up types that you need to keep grounded, except Hogan who can also play contested and you need to get a second man across to double team him.

So if you’re going to beat them, you need to match them in intent around the ball, you need to lock down on their runners, don’t rush all your players at one of them and let them handball it into space and don’t let their forwards get a clear jump at it.

So what happened?

Well our mids were push overs. Butters was shut down and no one laid a block or bump for him. Rozee did a nice turn and nothing else. We needed Soldo, Wines and Drew to bring the heat and…. F all. Meanwhile Green, Ward and Briggs starred.

As to locking down their runners Whitfield and Kelly had 55 between them with Haynes and Angwin chipping in for almost another 40.

We got little from our wings and were totally reliant on Houston and Farrell to carry the team and provide any kind of run.

We looked lethargic and unfit, not match ready. Fumbling the ball, missed tackles. Williams and plenty of others didn’t chase hard enough. BZT looked spent after one 100m chase. Farrell gave Daniels metres of space in the forward fifty. Ollie Lord couldn’t mark anything to save himself, Todd and the whole team couldn’t kick straight, there was no connection between our talls and smalls with GWS always collecting the crumbs. Our defenders didn’t know when to mark or spoil. Our mids rushed the ball carrier leaving multiple GWS players free to transition the ball. Our set ups at stoppages were atrocious.

It’s fair to say we came into this game underdone and underprepared. We got beaten by the Giants in exactly the manner they want to play and the scoreboard flattered us, despite our terrible kicking for goals. The bye hasn’t helped us but we were smashed in the coaches box.

As I said, I don't expect my opinion to be popular and that doesn't bother me.

Butters for me has slowly become more conditional in his approach to the contest. Yes sometimes he flies in like a human cannonball but there are other times when he gets beaten in the contest far too easily.

You look at Callan Ward, that guy is never beaten. He never shirks a contest, he's never second to the ball, he never misses a tackle. That's what unrelenting effort and leadership looks like. Our guys are so far off the pace it's not funny and it's games like this and finals where it is fully exposed for everyone to see.

How old is ward?

Last edited:
Seriously, our midfield. A game of one- handed efforts. Mead and Boak, a young workhorse and an old one, the only two to actually crack in at any point.

Butters, Rozee, Horne-Francis, Wines, Drew, Soldo - it was all too hard for them today. As long as it looked like they tried to tackle, looked like they tried to chase, that was good enough.

Who is their line coach? The next in line? **** me.

Rotten, from the head down.

I’m not sure you would be saying that if we started doing banners like that.

I’m fine, I’m not offended, I don’t need to Htfu princess. I just don’t like it, do I need to?

Pretty rich coming from and liked by all the people that had kittens about some things Dixon said about the fans.

The giants banner is actually taking the piss out of the port fans more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We can't even say "sack Hinkley" near our CEO without getting kicked out of our home ground. **** 'em.

jee wiz, if butters lost you today, the whole team has lost you by now, every single player.

Pretty much the whole club.

The showdown was an embarrassment that was the closest equivalent to this game, and we frustratingly capitulated in a short period of footy with a pile of goals against us versus Collingwood and Carlton but at least lost to genuine contenders there but heading into the bye at 8 and 4 I didn’t think it was all doom and gloom.

But I needed to see a side ready to attack the second half of the season today in a really crucial game. We win we were second but instead we lost and are now 7th, this game was worth 5 fckn positions in the 8 and we literally come up with the most half hearted pathetic footy I’ve seen from this team all year in my opinion.

They rolled out Chad, Boak, Butters, etc talking up how timely the break was and how hungry they were to hit the second half the season running and it was just astonishingly pathetic.

Our midfield were an absolute train wreck getting their weak arses handed to them even worse than the 2023 semi final against the same opponents (nothing ever changes).

Same old useless goal kicking, same weak efforts from Todd Marshall, same leaky defence that gets goals kicked against it easier than we ever seem to be able to kick them.

Drop all the resident whipping boys and we are somehow worse.

Lord isn’t the saviour. Nor were any of the others we tried.

There is one constant that never changes but will at the end of the year. That’s obvious. But I’m impatient I want results now. I’m sick of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who wants Dixon back at this point is a Hinkley enabler, you need to give Lord more than one look after a semi serious injury before you wet your adult diaper.

I’d have finlayson ahead of lord

Anyone who wants Dixon back at this point is a Hinkley enabler, you need to give Lord more than one look after a semi serious injury before you wet your adult diaper.
He'll be better with Dixon in the team right now, they just need new roles and Dixon has to stop being the role he is now.

IF the team is going to insist on kicking it on his head then at least tell him to stay in the goal square, not 40m out in a pocket.

Lord has to take the FF role and use Dixon like a resting ruck.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Is anne willsy actually upset at that phenomenal banner?

Carn

Having the piss taken out of us by the fckn gws giants of all clubs doesn’t have me jumping for joy.

I’m beyond jokes about Ken. I just want him gone and this club to be a contender and taken seriously again.

I don’t have a sense of humour at all when it comes to this club and my patience is hanging by a thread.

Having the piss taken out of us by the fckn gws giants of all clubs doesn’t have me jumping for joy.

I’m beyond jokes about Ken. I just want him gone and this club to be a contender and taken seriously again.

I don’t have a sense of humour at all when it comes to this club and my patience is hanging by a thread.

The club is one big joke though, that's the thing. If you want to direct your ire somewhere it should be the board and it's chair.

The Giants are just landing gut punches to an easy target.

Georgiades looked like the only fwd today.
Rioli is terribly missed
Other fwds are defensive fwds.
Dropping Dixon and Finlayson both was another gamble.
Marshall's terribly out of form.
Our mids cant get a kick.
Knowing Port and Ken their will be a J curve in form coming.
Thats how Kens survived as coach for such a long time.Like the after the siren win up in Sydney last year.

Seriously, our midfield. A game of one- handed efforts. Mead and Boak, a young workhorse and an old one, the only two to actually crack in at any point.

Butters, Rozee, Horne-Francis, Wines, Drew, Soldo - it was all too hard for them today. As long as it looked like they tried to tackle, looked like they tried to chase, that was good enough.

Who is their line coach? The next in line? **** me.

Rotten, from the head down.

Just look at how many midfield coaches this team has had under Ken, with the performance level and style all remaining the same despite the constant change.

Same goes for the changes to the defense and forward line coaches.

The more things change, the more things stay the same under Ken.

The club is one big joke though, that's the thing. If you want to direct your ire somewhere it should be the board and it's chair.

The Giants are just landing gut punches to an easy target.

Yeah I get Ken sucks, the board sucks, the club sucks but I’m still not happy about getting gut punches from the afl’s newest club with no flags and 8k people who turn up to their games.

I left the TV on and The Bounce started.

Who watches this shit and enjoys it? Might be the worst TV show I've ever seen
I hate you break it to you but there is the exact audience the club and afl aim at and thats to 95% of the people sitting beside you at a game. bread and circuses

Understanding this gives an insight into our fly in board, and Koch and Ken and why they do not care about members and spectators opinions.

they view us as a morons. in the main this is accurate, But this superiority clouds their judgment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back