Preview Round 14 - Hawthorn vs. Carlton - Friday 29th June 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't under-estimate Carlton. They're a good team that has just gone through a bad patch and have had terrible injuries, which as we know better than most, make it difficult to win games. They have some players coming back though and they definitely needed the break more than us, so expect them to come out firing.

Expect their talls to rotate through FF. Need I remind people how good we made Kosi look?

As usual this will be decided through the midfield. Murphy is a huge loss for them, but they have others that can go through there and for mine, their outside pace is still frightening.

Hoping the game is one-sided our way, but let's not get cocky !

Malthouse was asked on 3aw last night how Carlton can beat Hawthorn. He said the 2 weaknesses of Hawthorn are our spread and our backline.

He said Carlton should be aiming to get the ball away from stoppages as quickly as possible even if it meant sideways or backwards movement and for their forwards to separate and isolate our defence.

He said our mids run at the same pace in the first quarter as the last quarter and that is why teams like Geelong can run over us who have a stronger band of runners. He said we really need Rioli to be up to speed come finals to spend a quality 8 or 9 of the 20 mins of the final quarter in the midfield providing the spread.

We all know that we have introduced a greater number of players through the midfield in recent weeks so come finals we should be better prepared for an assault at stoppages. I just wonder who will go for Hodge when he is fit - am hoping it is not an outside runner as I think we have got a good balance with all of Sav Young and Smith in the side. Even Hill the last few weeks has shown that there is a role for a genuine outside runner late in games and we have been able to get the ball to him successfully with impact.

I just think we have the ability to kick more goals than Carlton on fri night Might only be 1 goal more but I am really liking the look of our forward line. Certainly hard to be confident though given the Richmond loss.

The moment Buddy kicks his 500th I propose we head over to the Carlton Board en masse in a scene reminiscent of his 100th in 2008 (cyber style). Just like Andrew threatened fines and bans, so will ODN, but if we stay strong and stick together the whole thing will be a logistical nightmare to dish out penalties...or ODN is up until the early hours clicking his mouse, but either way we win!

Who's in?

Fair chance you'd reckon that Puopolo will play down back this week on Blues small forwards. If this occurs surely Hill gets a game.

Poppy is one of our keys up forward. We need him there hustling. Poppy, Cyril and Bruest up forward will be more of a handful than Betts and Garlett.

Goo and Murph to take their smalls.

Had to laugh going onto the Carlton board and they were saying last week that our lack of this thread was a sign of our over confidence/cockiness. We were still waiting to play the Bye ;)

Personally I'm a little nervous about the game, we haven't really done enough to convince me we are going to play consistent footy week in week out and if we are off our game it is a huge difference. Only expecting to see the 2 changes, Lewis and Whitecross in for Hill and Young

simply must win if we want to be credible.

Spot on! I to have my doubts but when it comes down to it and all things are considered we must win. I hope Judd hasn't overcome his problems. I'm thinking are a few crunchings from our midfielders in the first 10 minutes we will find out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every carlton game I thing 'surely our run will end soon' and then I get proven wrong, with a bump.

I must day though that last time, the 'Toughness" aspect was played up. I think the bluse desperately wanted to go toe to toe with us in the centre and it didn't work for them.

After we built up a grand lead they reverted to taking it out of the heat and around the boundary - where they did better. I don't think they can get away with that for a whole game though

Fair chance you'd reckon that Puopolo will play down back this week on Blues small forwards. If this occurs surely Hill gets a game.

Will he, or will Murphy keep his spot to do that?
Poppy is sensational forward.

I am pretty excited about this game. To me it's a classic match and someone over here who won't wake up at 3:00 am to listen to coverage is going to be very blue when he wakes up and hears that Hawthorn beat 'em handily.

I married a Carlton supporter last september. She was too good of a lady not to marry although the Carlton thing was playing on my mind. This is the first Carlscum v Hawks game we're going to as a married couple.

I got a bad feeling. I've had it since last thursday.

They are getting smashed in the media, season on the line and i reckon this was the game they penciled in at the start of the year as one they had to win to see if they had improved. I hope the 22 picked realises that its an important game for us and that those dirty, cheating, soft, down hill skiing, corrupt criminals will come out trying to prove a point and we have to break them early. The longer they are in it the more their confidence will grow. I would love nothing more than to smash em but i'll be happy just to take the 4 points and move along.

Well said.

It would be the highest form of mental weakness on our end if we were to drop another game against above average opposition. I think internally the pressure is on our group more so than ever all season. The media cannot see it this way due to Carlton's woes, however we have far more to lose than Carlton. Carlton can justify another loss through injury etc whereas we have absolutely no excuse. A loss would crush our season and our players mentally.

I don't blame you having a bad feeling though as we have failed 66% of the time against solid opposition. Re your Carlton wife, a wise man once told me that you have to know how to end the relationship before you even start it, so the Carlton affiliation can be used as an excuse in case of emergency ;)

KOLOKOTRONIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back