Autopsy Round 15, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield experiment was good. If we're not going to get numbers from the mids, might as well be quick and make them count.

Tall forward line and ruck combo isn't. Individually they are all OK, but the balance isn't right, forward pressure is awful and BW looks lost.

Not an easy fix though. Ryan is needed up the ground and defensively he isn't amazing, he gets pushed off it. Brockman offers better tackle pressure but can't score and looks better around the ball. Petch is similar but the better option up forward. Dewar a possibility?

Positive - Ryan in the middle
Negative - we only ever see this innovation when it's forced through injury and suspension.

Ryan was good in the midfield but I don’t expect him to perform like that every week, he’s way to inconsistent to be a full time mid, thought there was something there with Brockman tho.

posted this 2 days ago... obvious really

Simpsons post match presser is up:

• Pleased with the effort, efforts there
  • Thought we fought back (got out the blocks) well but disappointed (to give away such a bad start) late goals blew out the margin
  • Didn't see any footage of the incident so couldn't comment
  • Thought Oscar will be better for the run
  • Synergy is building
  • Looking forward to getting Harley back

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Positives: on a personal note we made the dons look like a side not worthy of top 3.
-Ryan was great
-so good to see ozzy back, looks to have the hearts of the players and defs lifted morale
- tb doing tb things
-Tk and reidy would have shaken this game up if available

Mid range:
--yeo a bit of a one man army in there. Did he come off in the last quarter? Bog for us btw (he also made Caldwell a better player today) game him a contested training session.
-joshy Roth abit out of touch 1st half defensively with the little things.

Negatives:
-how do we use jayden hunt
-back to joshy Roth how do we move forward with gov,tb and withers, cole and Hough being mid- smalls but on the slow side?
- do we just have to wait for some more list transition to balance our assets (can't see any of them being traded before reretirement)
-flynny missing a few moments when he could have provided presence, loafed around abit

Overall though I'm pretty content with today, we take a few more chances in front of goal and it would have been real close.
I also don't mind the way we set up and conceded 10 goals from d50. It gave us the Russian roulette sniff and could well have paid off. Simmohas proved he's got plan b, and don't forget that essendon have a stack of top draftees in their team.

Love you all 🦅

Ryan was good in the midfield but I don’t expect him to perform like that every week, he’s way to inconsistent to be a full time mid, thought there was something there with Brockman tho.
Of course not but how many games over how many years, while our midfield is getting crushed, has he rotted in the forwardline while Gaff and Sheed rotate through?

Last 3 games we've been right in the game late and the oppo have kicked the last 2-3 goals to lock the win.

We just haven't learnt how to kill a game yet.

Hopefully in a couple of years we are the ones nailing those last 5-10 mins and winning the close ones/running away late.

Even in our wins, although never in doubt, we could've won by a lot more.

Experience

Positives
Ryan and Brockman looked ok in cba
For those who said Sheed or Gaff you would say today shows we need either and when Reid and Kelly come back we can still roll Ryan and Brockman into that mix regularly
Oallan redeemed himself in second half
A lot more watchable footy from last year.

Negatives.
Bwilliams. Apart from being a second ruck his forward and around the ground was poor.Would rather Jwilliams.
Rotham and Witherden. Witherden needs to cut out those high risk kicks that very rarely work out.
Poor tackling.
I thought too many times around the ground and in the forward line we seemed to not contest marks leaving Bombers with easy marks.
Not sure having such a big forward line is going to work but all three forwards did their best.
Again i would rather Jwilliams instead of Bwilliams if that is what we do for the rest of the year.

Of course not but how many games over how many years, while our midfield is getting crushed, has he rotted in the forwardline while Gaff and Sheed rotate through?

Yep totally agree Simmo backing his old war horses and then tries these things when there both out , it similar with darling playing every week would rather he go with a young bloke and see what they can produce, fair to say that’s what happened with waterman this year unfortunately Allen was the one to go and waterman had to step up.

Who’s to say if they had dropped darling the last 2 years waterman may have stepped up earlier.

Positives:
-Liked the look of L.Ryan through the middle. Always looked dangerous.
-R.Maric up the ground looked good too.
-Ginbey. Continuing to build.

Negatives:
-Forward conversion cost us a chance at winning it.
-A few weak links. J.Jones frustrating. Just needs to be cleaner. Petch was ok, but lacked impact and presence.

Meh. Fought well considering how thin we were through the middle today. I can't help feeling unimpressed with Essendon every time I watch them.

The bombers were too good on transition from defense- a good system in place. We don't have that, as it's nearly always to the same side, right. Our tackling is still poor - we don't tackle with intent. So fumbly a lot of the time, there was one passage where it was just one fumble after another, 3rd quarter, I think.
Not impressed with the performance today; and that last goal did me in. Basic stuff, guard behind the pack, goalside, but there was no one there. Big BW is not up to it, had his pants pulled down again, and shows no forward craft. I would much prefer Jack Williams in that role.
Petch and Ryan at the CB - I like it. We need their pace in there. Oscar will be better after the run - strangely, he was off target today. Love Snake.
Yeo put in a herculean effort.
Oh well, we get Harley back next week, and hopefully Kelly. They were badly missed.
fair points

Last 3 games we've been right in the game late and the oppo have kicked the last 2-3 goals to lock the win.

We just haven't learnt how to kill a game yet.

That’s probably the most annoying thing, I thought from those early wins we had that killer instinct/we were leaning how to win we didn’t cough up leads but now it seems like we’ve gone backwards in that area and where basically like north and we don’t know how to win games when where in them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-ve
Still can't defend oppo transition game - too tall and slow up forward.
Still don't have our own transition game - the amount of time mcgovern was looking to kick out up the middle and had NADA to kick to.
Witherden rotham turnovers
JJ can't pick the ball up off the ground or tackle effectively.

+Ve
Ryan in the middle
Yeo.
Maric Chesser on wings.
Barrass huge.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s probably the most annoying thing, I thought from those early wins we had that killer instinct/we were leaning how to win we didn’t cough up leads but now it seems like we’ve gone backwards in that area and where basically like north and we don’t know how to win games when where in them.
Yeah I feel like the only way we'll win another game this year is to get a mega jump on a side, be 5 goals+ up at 3qtr time then hang on for dear life.

I think any type of arm wrestle will do us in at this stage.

Positives +
  • Good effort from the team.
  • Midfield was good without Reid and Kelly.
  • Allen coming back to form. Will need a few games before we see him back to his best as he did looked rusty at times.
  • Yeo a beast as usual. Helped carried the midfield.
  • Ginbey was decent. Seems too one footed for me.
  • Barrass a beast down back keeping us in the game.
  • Ryan looked great in the middle providing spark that was missing at times. Hopefully he gets a stint there when Reid returns and Reid goes forward.
  • Good game from Brockman, ran well, provided options and was solid with his ball use.
  • Better game from Chesser. Ran hard, just needs to look more rather than blindly bombing it.
  • Gov to a lesser extent. Rebounded well.
  • Duggan gave it his all as usual. Tried to will the team.
  • Hough was solid and looked to take the game on.
  • Waterman and Darling made the most of their chances and bought the ball to ground at times.
  • Won the I50 count.
  • Tied them in contested possessions.
  • Cole was solid.
  • Cripps tried and had a decent amount of shots but some missed.

Meh =
= Rotham had some good moments along with some horrible brain fades.
= Witherden was ok but looked too slow at times such as being second to the ball or not having the pace to break the lines.
= Flynn was competitive in the ruck but at times Draper looked better. Wasn't his best ruckwork but was good with his handballs when he did have possession.
= Maric looked decent although his kicking was off at times. Despite that, I would rather see him take the kick ins instead of Gov.

Negatives -
  • Poor goalkicking accuracy.
  • Team was too tall which allowed them to waltz it out of their D50 which costed us the game.
  • As a result of an overly tall team, forward pressure was non existent for a good amount of the game.
  • It's clear that B.Williams should NOT be in the same side as Flynn. He lacked forward craft, didn't know where to go or position himself, just blindly jumping at the ball hoping it sticks and his hands are not sticky enough. Follow up pressure is what allowed them to run it out with ease.
  • Smashed in uncontested possessions. The team's defensive system looked like it was guarding space and teams with a solid possession football system will wreck it apart. This needs to be addressed if the team is ever going to be contending again.
  • Hunt wasn't at his best, looked like someone who's been out for a while. Needs to do better otherwise Gaff will be back which isn't ideal.

Final thoughts.

Essendon do not look like an elite side despite us missing Reid and Kelly. Add these two back then Waterman will kick 6. The team looks too tall in the front half and as a result, not enough forward pressure can be applied and Essendon killed us on defensive 50 transitions. The team looks way to predictable when exiting in the defensive 50 a s a result it was easy to defend our exits.

It's part of the process of a rebuilding team. We're going to stay in games against decent teams but will not quiet make it at the end. As the younger players get experienced, they're going to know what to do to close out games. Will take time though.

We really need to work on our 20-30m kicks. I think it’s more that players aren’t working hard enough to present. Make one token effort and then stop and clog up space.
We refuse to look into the middle from our defensive 50.
Long kicks up the boundary line to contests where we have NOBODY at the front of the contest.back he ball comes!
Just a 15-20 kick into the middle can be so valuable and opens up the field .

Big con: same game plan, hugging the wing, kick outs to the wing.
And compound it with them rebounding from turnovers on the wing to go straight through the guts

Maric looked decent although his kicking was off at times. Despite that, I would rather see him take the kick ins instead of Gov.
I hope we trial Maric as a defender in the offseason. Maric kicking to Gov would be very difficult to beat. Maric would also have the courage, smarts and skills to pick off riskier kicks as well.

Better than I expected.

Draper ( who is very average) and stringer I felt were the difference.

Bailey and Flynn, had 170 minutes combined and not one mark between them, at least when NN was criticised for this, he was bossing the hit outs, and being a beast in the contest. This can’t go on, Flynn was decent enough in getting hit outs , Bailey offered nothing. We are basically down a rotation.

Not a bad game, plenty to like and all in all did well on the road against a top 8 team.

Big plus for throwing the magnets around. Ryan and Brockman in the midfield major positives, hope we can continue to explore it even with Kelly and Harley back. Maric to wing promising as well.

Allen rusty but improved significantly as the game went on. Combo with Waterman seemed to work well.

Barrass huge down back.

Not a good game from the rucks.

Inaccuracy hurt, especially late in the third/early fourth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back