Preview Round 16, 2024: Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles, 30 June 2024 (Sun), 4:40pm @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re not picking a side based on generating potential trade value.
Indeed. Safest bet is that we want to win and Morrison best understands the way we want to play and offers the most to the side.

People can say what they want about Morrison but he generally slots in pretty seamlessly.

Indeed. Safest bet is that we want to win and Morrison best understands the way we want to play and offers the most to the side.

People can say what they want about Morrison but he generally slots in pretty seamlessly.
He provides really good structure and will run hard all day presenting outlet options.

People seem to forget he's played some pretty damn good games for us.

He provides really good structure and will run hard all day presenting outlet options.

People seem to forget he's played some pretty damn good games for us.
Morrison in is 100% a decision made to win a game of footy. That tells me Sam will be 100% focused on making finals until it's mathematically impossible.

Won't be any games gifted to players now unlike last two years which was probably a 60/40 development / winning split with regards to team selection.

I like it, keeps the senior players playing on the edge knowing they have to keep up the output week in week out.

I like H Mo when we use him as a link man, not so much if he has to find his own ball or keep up with faster players on the bigger expanses of the wing. He's played some really good games when teammates have spotted and played through him, disposal is always good, but reckon he needs a specific type matchup that doesn't burn him off to be a plus player for us.
Can't play midfield, has never done much forward, and is below average in the backline.
Has near-zero run and carry or is much of an outlet to the contest so don't understand the 'run and spread' descriptor, but oh well.
Nice squad player and obviously top human being, but will always have a limit on what he can offer off a wing for us.
For mine.

Morrison in is 100% a decision made to win a game of footy. That tells me Sam will be 100% focused on making finals until it's mathematically impossible.

Won't be any games gifted to players now unlike last two years which was probably a 60/40 development / winning split with regards to team selection.

I like it, keeps the senior players playing on the edge knowing they have to keep up the output week in week out.
He's sub. Will likely only get a qtr at best.

Hey guys sorry to intrude

Harry Morrison where has he been playing in the VFL? Noticed hitting scoreboard but not getting heaps of the ball in stats

Maybe pointing to a Half fwd role? Is that where we expect him to play

Or Hardwick rolling fwd again?

Hey guys sorry to intrude

Harry Morrison where has he been playing in the VFL? Noticed hitting scoreboard but not getting heaps of the ball in stats

Maybe pointing to a Half fwd role? Is that where we expect him to play

Or Hardwick rolling fwd again?

He's kicked 1 goal this year at AFL level, 24 over his career (in his 8th season).
Not sure Half Forward is where he'd be adding value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like H Mo when we use him as a link man, not so much if he has to find his own ball or keep up with faster players on the bigger expanses of the wing. He's played some really good games when teammates have spotted and played through him, disposal is always good, but reckon he needs a specific type matchup that doesn't burn him off to be a plus player for us.
Can't play midfield, has never done much forward, and is below average in the backline.
Has near-zero run and carry or is much of an outlet to the contest so don't understand the 'run and spread' descriptor, but oh well.
Nice squad player and obviously top human being, but will always have a limit on what he can offer off a wing for us.
For mine.
Little harsh on Harry I think.

He's not an explosive athlete I agree but he does run all day and is a link up player with as you say good disposal.

I am quite looking forward to seeing how he goes on the wing.

If he doesn't perform I'm sure he knows Ward, Finn and Husthwaithe are nipping at his heels so that will be driving him to put in a good showing.

Optus - 7:40WST time. Perfect

Wish the AFL would do it
I would have no complaints at all.
But others would.

I’m happy to watch Hawthorn at any time, anywhere.
Couldn’t care when or where we play…. I’ll watch it

God why do we do that, I'm not sure what we gain but I guess it's irrelevant either way.
Should just name the sub when they name the team. Rather than waiting until just before the bounce.

AFL rules never make sense

Should just name the sub when they name the team. Rather than waiting until just before the bounce.

AFL rules never make sense
I don’t think it makes sense to name the sub any sooner than an hour before bounce down.

Naming it when the team is announced 48 hrs prior, makes zero sense

Little harsh on Harry I think.

He's not an explosive athlete I agree but he does run all day and is a link up player with as you say good disposal.

I am quite looking forward to seeing how he goes on the wing.

If he doesn't perform I'm sure he knows Ward, Finn and Husthwaithe are nipping at his heels so that will be driving him to put in a good showing.

Don't mean it to be harsh, I actually really like the kid. He looks good doing footy type things and is high level at VFL.
He's just not built for today's version of AFL athlete on the wing - especially if we're not dominating the ball.
Funny enough, while I've pointed out his lack of significant impact forward or really even being heavily trialed there, it's where I most imagined his type of play best working.
Kind of a modern Peter Curran, but apart from the slim build being similar, Harry doesn't have the jump, the hands, or the quick twitch to become a weekly threat up forward.
It's a bummer because I promise you, regardless of what I've posted about the kid, there aren't too many who aren't family that have wanted it to work out more for him........

Last edited:
Something to gee everyone up before Sunday. Love how Sammy is keeping the squad on an even keel wether we've won or lost. Never gets too high or too low. Also love how our media team were smart enough to blur the blackboard that had matchup tactics on it. The club finally seems to functioning on and off the field ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back