Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

It's more his rushed kicks and poor kicking skills...he's not alone and it's something that staggers me given all the years of playing and training?
I remember his first season and he looked very aggressive and played hard. Not sure what’s happened over the years to make him so tentative with everything he does now

Give Up GIF by STARZ

4 teams in the top 8 changed their coaches in the last 4 to 5 years with another 3 teams 1 game outside of the 8 also changed their coaches recently and doing well including hawthorn.

By my reckoning that's a a 60 to 70 percent success rate.
Four of the bottom five also recently changed coaches.

It’s not sacking your coach that does it, it’s who you get.

We were focused, hard-running and hard-tackling, and intense against Freo and Melbourne, but we have been “flat” for the last few games. Whatever our game plan was, it didn’t work. Sure, there are reasons for individual players (Yeo family tragedy, Kelly back from injury, HR back from suspension etc), and Gov and TB gave their all, but we seem to have a serious attitude problem. Most of the players today didn’t seem to give a rats whether they won or lost. With some exceptions, second efforts just didn’t happen, tackling was almost tokenistic and kicks and handballs tended to favour the Hawks rather than us (in the sense that we turned the ball over far too easily).

When the lack of effort is so obvious, and so widespread, it’s pointless to identify specific players for the purpose of bagging them. At the end of the day, it’s the head coach’s job to motivate the players to play at their highest level of intensity. The buck has to stop with him in that regard. If the motivation isn’t there, he has to instil it into them – even if it’s after the game has began (at quarter time etc). By these standards, Simmo is a failure. Whether he was or not in 2018 is not to the point. Six years have passed since then. I’d give him a few more games to see if he can lift our intensity level. If he can’t, I believe he has to go.

Collingwood and GWS are obvious recent examples, and the Bulldogs with Beveridge. Hell, even us with Simmo: the 2013 Eagles looked a mile away from a grand final.
Are GWS an example? They are 10th right now. They have probably improved a tiny bit which I don’t doubt a coach can do.

Collingwood is the prime example but they got daicos for free who is currently a top three player in the game and their senior players still dominate.

I would argue there are plenty of clubs right now where a coaching change hasn’t done a lot. Saints, Essendon, GWS, Richmond, Adelaide, north etc.

Chesser showed more effort than half our senior players today. I care more about the 150 game players who continue to suck over the guy who has played 25 odd games. Chesser should be better but theres about 12 players that played today that concern me
Yep they concern me as well but most of them where late picks, not pick 14. What would we get if we traded Campbell.

Yep they concern me as well but most of them were late picks, not pick 14. What would we get if we traded Campbell.
It’s irrelevant what pick they were mate. They have played 100 more games and are five years older.

Pick 14 is a lottery pick anyway.

Someone pretty high up at the club was sitting near me today. The subject of Liam Ryan as a midfielder came up. The person mentioned that Liam Ryan isnt going to be a full time midfielder because he cant run both ways. I was completely bewildered that someone would talk that way about a player who is employed at the club. Cue my further bewilderment when not only does he start in the centre square, but he starts on the defensive side of the contest.

The complete and utter hopelessness of this club is from the aboluste top to the absolute bottom when its all said and done. Today to me is the lowest ebb our club has ever reached. Not because of the score, or the way we played.

Just because we have given up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im sick of seeing the same guys fail, bring in the youth they will fail as well but they get a taste of AFL & we are going forward.
Team
Dewar Barrass Baker
Hall mcgovern Hough
Brockman Kelly Chesser
Reid Williams Hutchinson
Ryan Allen Waternam
Follwers Livingstone Yeo Reid
Bench Culley Rawlinson Edwards

Someone pretty high up at the club was sitting near me today. The subject of Liam Ryan as a midfielder came up. The person mentioned that Liam Ryan isnt going to be a full time midfielder because he cant run both ways. I was completely bewildered that someone would talk that way about a player who is employed at the club. Cue my further bewilderment when not only does he start in the centre square, but he starts on the defensive side of the contest.

The complete and utter hopelessness of this club is from the aboluste top to the absolute bottom when its all said and done. Today to me is the lowest ebb our club has ever reached. Not because of the score, or the way we played.

This doesn’t make sense. He went in to the middle only a few times today which is exactly what the person said will happen.

we would have said the same thing about Adam Simpson when he was just a random assistant coach
Dual premiership player and premiership assistant coach is a 'random' coach? An interesting parallel is that Woosha saw us through a rebuild and back to the finals before stepping away.

Weird game. It wasn't quite Adelaide because you could see the boys were making an effort but we were still being outworked all over the ground. There were some good moments but Hawthorn had answers to most of what we did.

The drums will beat a little louder this week and rightfully so. On one hand, this will be a teaching moment for the young guys for what is required at AFL level. On the other hand, our senior players already know and need to lead by example.
Wasn't getting beaten buy North and St Kilda a teaching moment?

Does Auzzie the Eagle share their meat morsels with you too during your little chats?

Wasn't getting beaten buy North and St Kilda a teaching moment?
Unpopular opinion - we actually played pretty well against both with the players we had. We matched the opposition with our second midfield, beat both for inside 50's and defended pretty well. In both games, we were let down by turnovers, poor goalkicking and terrible umpiring at unfortunate moments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back