Opinion Round 16 Changes vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The team Ross put out today is the closest to what he believes can win every game. He's not going to deviate the way we want, and perhaps the way the club needs.
I don't think it's the closest. Dawson and MJ will be in the 22 come Round 1 finals. I also think in the remaining 8 games we will see Crozier and Tabs in the team permanently..

The only reason A. Pearce got a game this year is because of injuries to our backline and he has turned out to be a very bright spark and difficult to omit when reinforcements arrive. If our backline wasn't so depleted, Alex wouldn't have gotten a game and these fantastic performances by him wouldn't have happened. So why not learn from this and bring in a debutant to spice up our mix a bit? I must admit I was a little opposed to bringing in youth but after these last few rounds I think it's definitely worth experimenting with. Alex Pearce is evidence.
IN: Weller/Grey/Blakely/Langdon Christ just any one or two of them, Sutcliffe, Taberner, Crozier.
OUT: MDB (went hard but skills aren't good enough), Suban, Duffield, Ballantyne.
Ballas needs a run at Peel, I've lost count of the amount of weeks I've backed him to finally step up and kick a bag and he's done shit all about it. Zac Clarke was terrible today but I don't think we have any other option with going forward in his role. Sandilands needs to learn how to ****ing mark the ball at crucial times. I thought Sheridan was alright today, definitely not the worst, keep him in. Overall embarrassing performance today, hope the players learn from this. As for next week, bring in some damn youth, and we might uncover another Alex Pearce.

I

The team Ross put out today is the closest to what he believes can win every game. He's not going to deviate the way we want, and perhaps the way the club needs.

Suspect he will be reassessing that belief as we speak. I genuinely expect to see wholesale changes next week, not the least due to playing Carlton. Reckon we will see two of Blakely, Weller, Grey and Langdon into the team.

It would be interesting to see what the man who hated these threads would say if he was still around. Would he call it a pointless waste time?

If he did he'd be right, because as tempting as it is to list a bunch of changes, they're not going to happen. And if they did happen it'd be bad for any premiership ambitions because it would signal things are even worse than they seem.

Fact is, there is nothing waiting in the wings that can remedy this performance. There are a lot of talented players who have played fewer than 20 games, and most of those have played exactly zero. Even those that have debuted have played no more than a handful full games.

And this isn't the time to bring them in wholesale, as the expectation is too large. Every week there has been a player in the firsts who could have been dropped for bad form, and equally a player in the WAFL whose form demanded selection. Maybe, had Weller, Crozier, Duffy, Langdon, Blakely or whoever played a few (more) games here and there during the season, they'd be better prepared to either play now or in a few weeks. But they haven't, and therefore they most likely can't.

He has no choice.

The team as it stands is NOT good enough.

We might be sitting 10/2 but we're off the pace.

Shitty ball movement either gets rectified now or later. Personally I'd rather it was now whether we win or not.

Duffield offer nothing defensively. He's the most un-Lyon player I've ever seen.

He can kick though. But the negatives outweigh the positives there. Ball gets directed to his opponent.

DeBoer/Suban/Mayne/Ballantyne aren't offering offensive impact and it dominoes pressure on to Hill and D Pearce. I mean as a back flank or midfielder are you really shitting your pants about Suban or DeBoer?
It gives you license to push off and be offensive or put pressure up the ground.

He says he wants more points...and we're not delivering.

What have Isaac Heeney or Liam Duggan got that Weller or Blakely don't?

It would be interesting to see what the man who hated these threads would say if he was still around. Would he call it a pointless waste time?

If he did he'd be right, because as tempting as it is to list a bunch of changes, they're not going to happen. And if they did happen it'd be bad for any premiership ambitions because it would signal things are even worse than they seem.

Fact is, there is nothing waiting in the wings that can remedy this performance. There are a lot of talented players who have played fewer than 20 games, and most of those have played exactly zero. Even those that have debuted have played no more than a handful full games.

And this isn't the time to bring them in wholesale, as the expectation is too large. Every week there has been a player in the firsts who could have been dropped for bad form, and equally a player in the WAFL whose form demanded selection. Maybe, had Weller, Crozier, Duffy, Langdon, Blakely or whoever played a few (more) games here and there during the season, they'd be better prepared to either play now or in a few weeks. But they haven't, and therefore they most likely can't.

That's the depressing point,we simply do not have any personnel who are playing for Peel who can better our situation.

Jeez,I'd love to see one of youngsters brought in and given a crack.

That's the depressing point,we simply do not have any personnel who are playing for Peel who can better our situation.

Jeez,I'd love to see one of youngsters brought in and given a crack.

But we do... I can see Weller or Langdon in an outside running role having impact after a few games. I think, as an inside midfielder, Blakely may take longer to be influential (in the same way that it took Neale a while - but still no reason to delay the inevitable). Grey and Duffy are a bit more speculative but hey the Hawks played Langford in a GF and took the risk....

so Duffield gets blamed because we have a shit forward line? ah ok

and yet he features in the top 5 for the game..

1 Michael Barlow 13 13 26 7 1 0 0 4 1 1 110
2 David Mundy 12 12 24 5 1 0 0 3 1 0 94
3 Aaron Sandilands 5 11 16 3 45 1 0 0 0 0 92
4 Tendai Mzungu 10 5 15 3 0 2 0 6 0 0 75
5 Lachie Neale 7 13 20 3 0 0 3 5 1 1 74
5 Paul Duffield 9 5 14 4 0 0 1 7 0 0 74
7 Matthew Pavlich 10 9 19 7 0 0 2 0 1 2 71
8 Chris Mayne 4 5 9 7 0 0 1 6 1 0 70
9 Stephen Hill 14 7 21 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 68
10 Danyle Pearce 7 7 14 3 0 1 0 4 0 0 61
11 Nat Fyfe 11 9 20 3 1 3 6 3 0 1 59
12 Luke McPharlin 9 5 14 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 58
13 Lee Spurr 6 3 9 3 0 0 0 4 0 0 49
14 Tommy Sheridan 7 7 14 2 0 0 1 2 0 0 46
15 Michael Walters 7 3 10 3 0 2 0 0 1 0 44
16 Matt de Boer 4 8 12 3 0 2 4 4 0 0 43
17 Zac Clarke 2 7 9 0 10 0 0 3 0 0 42
18 Garrick Ibbotson 7 3 10 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 36
18 Hayden Ballantyne 6 3 9 2 0 0 1 2 0 1 36
20 Alex Pearce 3 6 9 3 0 0 1 1 0 0 31
21 Clancee Pearce 5 2 7 2 0 1 0 1 0 0 30
22 Nick Suban

I want to bring in the likes of Crozier, Blakely, Weller ... but we have to leave them in for a while.

I'm not sure it would make much difference, but might as well try some new faces instead of Suban, DeBoer, Sheridan, etc. But this gets said every week, and nothing changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Griffen for Clarke.
Taberner for Mayne (tell him he needs a 5 goal haul to get another senior berth).
Crozier for Ballantyne.
Also we need to start blooding Weller or Blakely, because we'll probably need to switch Fyfe to CHF if we ever have to play Hawks in Finals.

I know it's not feasible to make 5-6 changes in a week, but I'd agree with all these, plus:

Sutcliffe in for Duffield.

Out: Suban + MdB
In: Langdon (BOG for Peel this week), Blakely, Weller.

I think given the positions they play it would be Weller who misses.

How many will RTB pull the trigger on? I reckon 2 changes at most. :mad:

Weller, Blakely, Crozier, Sutcliffe, Taberner in the mix. Hannath, Griff also a chance.

Suban, DeBoer, Duff, DPearce, Mzungu, Sheridan.

I don't think we can win it with Subsn, DeBoer or Duff playing. The forward line is killing us, I'm not normally up for crazy moves but if Dawson gets fit with MJ why not throw Luke forward for something different - I doubt Ross would do that but we've tried just about everything else to get a score.

B- Spurr, McPh, Muz
HB- Ibbotson, A.P., Sheridan
C- S.Hill, Suban, D.P,
HF-Walters, Pav, Croz
F- Neale, Fyfe, Mundy
R- Sandi, Barlow, Blakley
Bench- ZaCl, Tabs, Weller
Sub- The Pig
Give Ballas and Mayne a rest.
Start the game like this and at least be dynamic. All the forwards can kick goals, mark the ball and aren't too shabby defensively. The centre can get their hands on the ball. Spread off the wings and half back.
I would leave the Defence minus Duff.
All forwards rotate through the the middle.

I admire your commitment to Duff, but the bloke is abymisally out of form, down on confidence and a dead set liability. Went to ground went he didn't need to, got caught out zoning off too far and needs to go.

If we keep playing him we're going backwards. Get someone else in; weller, blakely, gray..take your pick

so Duffield gets blamed because we have a shit forward line? ah ok

and yet he features in the top 5 for the game..

1 Michael Barlow 13 13 26 7 1 0 0 4 1 1 110
2 David Mundy 12 12 24 5 1 0 0 3 1 0 94
3 Aaron Sandilands 5 11 16 3 45 1 0 0 0 0 92
4 Tendai Mzungu 10 5 15 3 0 2 0 6 0 0 75
5 Lachie Neale 7 13 20 3 0 0 3 5 1 1 74
5 Paul Duffield 9 5 14 4 0 0 1 7 0 0 74
7 Matthew Pavlich 10 9 19 7 0 0 2 0 1 2 71
8 Chris Mayne 4 5 9 7 0 0 1 6 1 0 70
9 Stephen Hill 14 7 21 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 68
10 Danyle Pearce 7 7 14 3 0 1 0 4 0 0 61
11 Nat Fyfe 11 9 20 3 1 3 6 3 0 1 59
12 Luke McPharlin 9 5 14 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 58
13 Lee Spurr 6 3 9 3 0 0 0 4 0 0 49
14 Tommy Sheridan 7 7 14 2 0 0 1 2 0 0 46
15 Michael Walters 7 3 10 3 0 2 0 0 1 0 44
16 Matt de Boer 4 8 12 3 0 2 4 4 0 0 43
17 Zac Clarke 2 7 9 0 10 0 0 3 0 0 42
18 Garrick Ibbotson 7 3 10 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 36
18 Hayden Ballantyne 6 3 9 2 0 0 1 2 0 1 36
20 Alex Pearce 3 6 9 3 0 0 1 1 0 0 31
21 Clancee Pearce 5 2 7 2 0 1 0 1 0 0 30
22 Nick Suban

Suttcliffe ,Blakley and Tabs for Suban,Duff and Mayne.
The form of Hannath and Griff not up to it so Clark unfortunately will probably stay in.Croz for Balla but Croz is not in great form .Who is the worst of two evils.
We all want multiple changes but Ross will probably stick with the majority of the team that got us 12/2 and hope those that can't find the pill find some form.

I admire your commitment to Duff, but the bloke is abymisally out of form, down on confidence and a dead set liability. Went to ground went he didn't need to, got caught out zoning off too far and needs to go.

If we keep playing him we're going backwards. Get someone else in; weller, blakely, gray..take your pick
but is he really THE worst? on paper there's far worse than him, and most dwell in the forward line

but is he really THE worst? on paper there's far worse than him, and most dwell in the forward line

He was borderline worst. Zarke, Ballas and Duff can fight over who was worst. Would be an interesting fight really; Ballas would prob fall over, Zarke wouldn't be interested in getting his hands dirty and Duff would be too slow to even get to the fight in time.

I don't tend to look at dream team points when assessing the performance of players.

I agree with you, I don't think he was the worst. He played the same game he has played every week for years. He never has been and never will be a good body on body defender, he just always looks bad in defeats because he plays in defence. The defence is not the problem, not sure why anyone thinks it is.

I agree with you, I don't think he was the worst. He played the same game he has played every week for years. He never has been and never will be a good body on body defender, he just always looks bad in defeats because he plays in defence. The defence is not the problem, not sure why anyone thinks it is.

I see your point. Back on topic then

Out: Duffield, Ballantyne, MDB
In: Sutcliffe, Tabs, Blakely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back