Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

the only thing that needs to change is the "backing in the boys" mentality. They need to create a reward for performance and effort environment.

Prediction for this arvo

In: Hall, Jilliams, Hedwards, Johnston, Gaff, Rawlinson
Out: Waterman, Flynn, Gov (all injured)

B: Hough, Barrass, Witherden
HB: Cole, Rotham, Duggan
C: Hunt, Yeo, Ginbey
HF: Cripps, Darling, Hall
F: Ryan, Allen, Williams
R: Williams, Kelly, Reid
I: Hedwards, Maric, Brockman, Chesser, Jones, Johnston, Gaff, Rawlinson

All three injured KPPs to miss.

Hall to get the debut announcement today. Sub to come from Brockman, Chesser or Jones. Johnston to travel as 24th man, Gaff and Rawlinson to stay home and play Peel.
Hall in could be a nice build towards Hewett in.
Don't wish to see Waterman and Gov out this game. Waterman has stitches and Gov has played with worse injuries, but a hand injury is pretty limiting.
Hope to see games pumped into Brockman.

Is it fair to say that Chesser is a pawn sacrifice in this Red Wing Gambit that Simpson is playing?

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Unavailable: Long, Jamieson, Petruccelle, Sheed, Bazzo, Hewett

In Doubt: Flynn, McGovern, Waterman

Pressing for Selection: Trew, Hall, J Williams, H Edwards, Dewar, Culley

Main problems with previously reported selected side -
• Two rucks not working
• Lack of run/leg speed
• Too tall/lack of mobility across the ground
• No run/rebound out of defence
• Experience v youth balance skewed too far to experience for a rebuilding side
• Not enough pressure in forward half

There are others and some of the above overlap but those are the main problems I think need to be addressed

With the above in mind, these are the changes I’d like to see

1) Jack Williams to replace either Bailey or Flynn. Given the doubt over Flynn take no chances with his ankle and rest him this week. Bailey to ruck with Jack, who is a better forward target, in support

2) Omit Rotham or Witherden and move Hunt into the backline as he’s been a better HB for us than wing and we’ve missed his rebound out of defence. Trew to take Hunt’s midfield spot which means Ginbey spends more time on the wing to allow Trew to play in his preferred inside mid role.

3) Replace Darling in the 22 with Maric. I know Maric is taller but he’s faster and more agile. This isn’t necessarily for poor form but team balance - Waterman, Allen, Darling and a resting ruck is one tall too many

4) Dewar to come into the 23 with a choice to be made between him and Jones as the the sub

Out : Flynn, Rotham, Darling
In : J Williams, Trew, Dewar

Backs: McGovern, Barrass, Witherden, Duggan, Hough, Cole, Hunt
Rucks: Williams and Williams
Mids: Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, Trew
Forwards: Allen, Waterman, Maric, Ryan, Cripps, Brockman, Dewar
Sub: Jones
Travelling Emergency: Rotham
Emergencies: H Edwards for McGovern and Darling for Waterman

Alternatives
1) Hall instead of Trew
2) Maric to midfield (instead of Trew) with Culley brought in as a marking/tackling pressure forward
3) I considered Hall as sub over Jones (or Dewar) but I think flying his family over to Melbourne to debut as a sub is a bit mean. Maybe save that for our next home game

Last edited:
Sheesh, our list really smells doesn't it.

Gang, I can't imagine Darling is in any danger of being dropped if they also plan on getting him to 300 this year.

Lesser evil for mine, get him there and tell him he's not required for 2025. Last thing we want is him on 297 games and going around again.

So you're predicting Trew gets dicked by Simpson yet again?

Harsh. I'm not entirely sure it's fair to the bloke. I'd be hating Simpson if i was Trew.

Amateur HourTM
Partington's disease. I reckon the same happens to Trew. We delist him, he moves clubs and dominates a state league, and still nobody redrafts him.

We are at the point where we have enough player availability that we now need to choose places around team balance, not just filling gaps. With that in mind, if Jake gets up for the game, then unfortunately we'd need to drop Darling.

I feel sorry for Jack but the MC is paid to sometimes make hard decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like Darling has gotten reprieves for the past 2 years straight

If only he’d said he’d delete his contract if Culley was drafted….

Unavailable: Long, Jamieson, Petruccelle, Sheed, Bazzo, Hewett

In Doubt: Flynn, McGovern, Waterman

Pressing for Selection: Trew, Hall, J Williams, H Edwards, Dewar, Culley

Main problems with previously reported selected side -
• Two rucks not working
• Lack of run/leg speed
• Too tall/lack of mobility across the ground
• No run/rebound out of defence
• Experience v youth balance skewed too far to experience for a rebuilding side
• Not enough pressure in forward half

There are others and some of the above overlap but those are the main problems I think need to be addressed

With the above in mind, these are the changes I’d like to see

1) Jack Williams to replace either Bailey or Flynn. Given the doubt over Flynn take no chances with his ankle and rest him this week. Bailey to ruck with Jack, who is a better forward target, in support

2) Omit Rotham or Witherden and move Hunt into the backline as he’s been a better HB for us than wing and we’ve missed his rebound out of defence. Trew to take Hunt’s midfield spot which means Ginbey spends more time on the wing to allow Trew to play in his preferred inside mid role.

3) Replace Darling in the 22 with Maric. I know Maric is taller but he’s faster and more agile. This isn’t necessarily for poor form but team balance - Waterman, Allen, Darling and a resting ruck is one tall too many

4) Dewar to come into the 23 with a choice to be made between him and Jones as the the sub

Out : Flynn, Rotham, Darling
In : J Williams, Trew, Dewar

Backs: McGovern, Barrass, Witherden, Duggan, Hough, Cole, Hunt
Rucks: Williams and Williams
Mids: Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, Trew
Forwards: Allen, Waterman, Maric, Ryan, Cripps, Brockman, Dewar
Sub: Jones
Travelling Emergency: Rotham
Emergencies: H Edwards for McGovern and Darling for Waterman

Alternatives
1) Hall instead of Trew
2) Maric to midfield (instead of Trew) with Culley brought in as a marking/tackling pressure forward
3) I considered Hall as sub over Jones (or Dewar) but I think flying his family over to Melbourne to debut as a sub is a bit mean. Maybe save that for our next home game
I really like your thinking here, but based on what we’ve seen from the match committee it more than likely won’t be happening.

Goodwin "Ready for Reid" saying they won't be showed up again.

Start Reid at deep full forward, that might surprise.

Should also get more holding the man frees there rather than middle of the ground. Because different areas of the ground have different rules applied.

View attachment 2038467

Very pleased to see Johnston. Hope he gets an opportunity.

No Gaff after 30 and a goal is a good sign of commitment to playing the kids.

No Gaff is one thing, darling being propped up week after week when he is contributing nothing shows selection integrity just doesn’t exist at this club and hasn’t for years.

No penalty for under performing names, no reward for effort or performance at wafl level for anyone outside of the forced changed of jack Williams who shouldn’t have been dropped in the first place.

The sooner Simpson is turfed out the better

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back